I have an internal interview tomorrow.

Only been at my job for 8 months, but a job came up for internal applicants only for a Liaison Officer for a housing association. Does anyone have any advice? My colleague is also going for it and she's been there 4 years. Do you think she would have more of a chance than me cos of this?

I have had a lot more experience than her though as I'm 20 years older (I know, I'm old)

Any advice would be gratefully received

Dawn x

Experience counts for a lot, whether that is at the same company or in that field, so that is hard to judge.

I always go into any interview prepared, even internal ones.
Not sure what type of interview they are going to conduct e.g. Competency based, etc. But go armed with examples. A common phrase is "S.T.A.R":
S = Situation
T = Task
A = Action
R = Result

Use this to define the situation, the tasks that were involved, YOUR actions and the benefits/results that were achieved from this situation/task.

Always emphasis how brilliant you are, I know it is internal and people may know you but still make sure people understand how awesome you are and invaluable team member your are / will be.

Also it is important to you so show them that, go in dressed to impress, always make an effort for an interview, dress for the job you want, etc...

Apart from that just be your awesome self and you will do alright.

nheather

Distinguished Member
Yes, it is important to say what you did. All to common, I face applicants that describe what the project was and I have to lever out of them what there role actually was.

Cheers,

Nigel

paulr

Hi Dawn. I think the danger with internal interviews is complacency and familiarity. That may give you an advantage as the newbie. Let's hope the other girl falls into that trap.

nheather

Distinguished Member
Also from my experience of working for a large organisation, quite often you know exactly who you want to give the job to, but have to been seen to be going through a 'fair' process so stage a set of mock interviews.

Not saying that is the case for you but see it all the time where I work.

Cheers,

Nigel

DarenD

Gotta agree I had informal for field work and it was almost laid back pub talk even with a witch from HR watching over me and the manager. I was up against 5 external candidates and although I had heard through the back channels that the job was mine you still enter the room facing the unknown. My luck was in as one candidate didn't want overtime and another didn't have a drivers licence. Capitalise on what she can't offer i.e. your experience and throw some big percentages about. HR love percentage talk lol

Flip side to the coin would be if somebody who just walked in the door beat me to a leg up in the company after I had give them 4 years I would blow a gasket and start looking for another job.

Exemplar

Banned
Dawn, you are awesome. That is all.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
If you have some examples where experience has helped deal with issues/situations that would give you an edge.

As I thought the other girl got it. More pissed off than I thought I'd be. The interview went well thou, so can't say I didn't do my best. Thanks for all tips. Xx

old striker

Another opportunity will come up Dawn so don't worry. Good for you that the interview went well aswell.
Chin up, it's Friday and wine o'clock.
Next week is a whole new challenge.....:)

paulr

As I thought the other girl got it. More peeed off than I thought I'd be. The interview went well thou, so can't say I didn't do my best. Thanks for all tips. Xx
As I thought the other girl got it. More peeed off than I thought I'd be. The interview went well thou, so can't say I didn't do my best. Thanks for all tips. Xx
At least you made your intention clear. I find with internal vacancies it's often a case of waiting your turn.

johntheexpat

Distinguished Member
I don't care what anyone else tells you, 9 times out of 10, with interviews like that the result is known before the process even starts and its just the law being followed. But, and its a big but, how you played out in the interview has massively affected your future role in the company. If the interviewers were impressed with you, then the next time, you could well be "the chosen one". So the interview wasn't wasted. The result wasn't failure. Seeds have been sown and the future is being shaped.

I don't care what anyone else tells you, 9 times out of 10, with interviews like that the result is known before the process even starts and its just the law being followed. But, and its a big but, how you played out in the interview has massively affected your future role in the company. If the interviewers were impressed with you, then the next time, you could well be "the chosen one". So the interview wasn't wasted. The result wasn't failure. Seeds have been sown and the future is being shaped.
I agree, they had a girl picked out who had done it before. I love my job and feel I have put myself in a good position applying for that job for my future in the company. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom