1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have a video problem

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by steverb, Jun 26, 2004.

1. steverb

steverb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My av amp requires the same type of connection for all video in and out. I have chosed s video, because the freeview box doesn't have component connections.

The tv only has scart connections so I have bought a s video to scart cable to join the amp to the tv. The problem is, the picture quality is almost black and white, it is so bad. The s video to scart connection seems to be the cause. If I connect either the dvd to the tv or the freeview box to the tv, directly, using the s video to scart cable the picture is similarly bad.(had I used a scart to scart, the picture is perfect)

Thinking the cable was faulty I exchanged it for another new one, but the problem is still there. Is the second cable faulty as well, or have I missed something. Please help.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You will have to select s-video in the picture setup menu in the TV for that particular scart socket as it will be defaulting to composite which is why the picture will only show in black & white but first of all make sure that your Freeview box can ouput s-video signals as I wasn't aware that they could.

I route all of my video signals directly from the source to the TV via scart with only the audio signals going to the amp. This enables me to take advantage of RGB signals output from DVD and Sky Digital which are arguably of better quality than s-video

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or check if your freeview box has a menu option to output s-video. It may well be set to output RGB only.

Also check your cable. I'm not 100% sure but IIRC, scart - svideo is directional. Most likely your freeview box isn't outputting svideo as Ian J says.

:smoke:

4. steverb

steverb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks guys. I am currently using a direct link from the freeview box to the tv, scart to scart, for video only. The problem with this is that the tv puts a mute symbol on the screen.
    Tell me is s-video the same as component video, with only the wires arranged differently.