1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have a Tosh 37WLT58

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by alfob, Sep 1, 2005.

1. alfob

alfob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I got a brand new 37" Toshiba series 58 as a replacement of a faulty 51" Toshiba rear projector. The LCD has 2 HDMI connectors and component inputs.

The panel looks very good, no dead pixels (I haven't seen any), no load humming (I can hear low humming when reducing backlight, but nothing abnormal I think). I have tried both satellite signal from Scart (there are 3 scarts) and DVD signal to the component inputs. everything is working superb. I have not tried HD input due to lack of HD material.

Best regards Alf from Norway

2. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Have you got any means to take a few piccies?

3. andrewf

andrewf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    glad to see Norway is ahead of the UK in getting this TV :( , have been holding off buying a 32" since July awaiting a look at this and still think we've got til sometime this or next month

rant aside :)

I assume to be HD ready that the component accepts HD - can you let us know what it can do

thanks

4. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Please can you check the following on your 37WLT58:-

From the manual within PC input mode, under SET UP menu, the PC Settings menu allows changes to picture position, width and height.

Within HDMI input mode (1 or 2), what are the option under the SET UP menu, they are not listed in the manual. I am hoping there are position and size options.

I do not think you need an actual PC, or HDMI input to check the menus, just press the source button to cycle through inputs.

5. alfob

alfob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, to first to you Rocky, can't help you much here because I could not access the menus without connecting them, and I don't have the equipment. The manual does not say anything about change with and height.

To you then andrew, the manual states that best result is 1080 i signal given through the HDMI, but then the set is HDReady so it should accept HD material through the component inputs.

The pics are not great (using my Sony Cell phone), but the Toshiba is looking great, it has a grey frame and a very slim darker grey loudspeaker under the screen. The set does also have additional control buttons on the top (operating without the remote is possible). The downside is the remote, it is the same as the old plastic box from previous). The correct name of my set is 37WL58, and the user manual is for WL32/37/42. So a 42" should be available soon. Component/scart/s-video is available at the side, PC and 2XHDMI at the back.

I guess that's it, well the picture is great, but of course black is not as black as on a CRT.

Best reg. Alf

Attached Files:

6. gareth78

gareth78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I thought the 37WL58/37WLT58 (and 42" models) came with a standard floor stand, did you recieve one?

7. alfob

alfob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No floor stand came with the set, and no wall mounting bracket. As you can see from the pics it came with a stand suited for table mounting. The screen can rotate on the stand.

Best reg Alf

8. rhubarbe

rhubarbe
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    alfob is talking about the 37WL58 which is the European model with analogue tuner. UK model is 37WLT38B that has Freeview tuner. I expect the free stand is to partly offset the price difference: 37WL58 in Europe is available from 1495 Euros which is about £100 less than I have been able to find the 37WLT58 from UK Internet suppliers.

9. clifford62

clifford62

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So when exactly is this new range coming out in the UK because I have been waiting since April! :lease: someone help.

10. rhubarbe

rhubarbe
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    Sometime this month it is expected, though I have lost count of the number of times I have heard a line like that before.

11. marty2005

marty2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    I have been thinking of getting one of theses.

However I downloaded the manual and was dissapointed to find it has no picture in picture functions, I like to use pip for my security camera.

12. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone tell me if the 37WLT58 remembers the picture settings for each individual input. For example - DVD, Xbox and Sky.

Its only a small thing but I find it very usefull on my 30" Sharp LCD.

I plan to get a 37WLT58 mainly for Xbox 360, PS3 and DVD's. How good is this set as a games TV ?.

13. madhouse

madhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Bawtry nr. Doncaster / Wiesbaden (Germany)
    Ratings:
    +72

Slowly but surely and area for area Germany is also switching to what they call DVB-T (same as freeview) - only if you are in an area that has switched and rely on terrestial TV, you are screwed. In the areas that have DVB-T, analogue has been turned off.
    Unlike the models built for the UK here we are forced to buy an external DVB-T receiver. Luckily I have satellite TV for the German programmes and my English telly too :eek:) so I don't need one. Would have been a nice feature though, becasue for now I could have done without the German sat dish.

A note on the Toshiba - am quite happy with the one I got just under 2 weeks ago - but mine hums :eek:( - I noticed this a few days ago. After reading a few things on some German forums I played around with some of the picture settings and low and behold - when the backlight is set any lower than 100 (which is full blast) then the TV hums. At 100 - not a sound. I already talked to the shop where I bought it (yesterday morning before I tested the backlight setting) and they will send someone out with another TV and we can check if this hums the same way. If not I'll be able to keep the second one. If the second one buzzes too, they'll take both back and I'll get my money back. But after 12 months searching and pondering between plasma and LCD, and thinking I finally had the right model - what then? :eek:( ...groan...

Cheers,
    Simon
    A Brit in Germany