I have a stupid question, if an AMP has a L/R Pre Out can I connect Subwoofers to this?

SlimyRiddler

LOL you're a gentleman I appreciate it I likely live quite some distance away ;P And yeah it does make total sense and I could definitely handle it once I had confirmation and I expected him to confirm that, but, well, he told me I needed a 'thingy'

(06:06:07 PM) Ryan Wright: Hi Ben, thanks so much for the message, please give me one moment to take a look at that receiver.
(06:08:34 PM) Ryan Wright: On that receiver, you would need to "double-up" on the speaker wire from the Left/Right speaker outputs, both positive and negative, with one set going to the speakers (as normal) and the other set being fed into a speaker-level to line-level adapter, like the one linked below:

Russound ADP-1.2 Speaker-level to Line-level Adapter at Crutchfield
(06:08:54 PM) Ryan Wright: From there, you would then be able to connect RCA from the Left/Right outputs of the adapter into the inputs of each subwoofer.
(06:09:15 PM) Ryan Wright: This would offer the same fidelity as connecting to the subwoofer via RCA connection from the pre-outs.

So basically I have given up for the mo, my brain needs a break and so does my wallet ;P

SlimyRiddler

s-l1600.jpg

Jester1066

(06:06:07 PM) Ryan Wright: Hi Ben, thanks so much for the message, please give me one moment to take a look at that receiver.
(06:08:34 PM) Ryan Wright: On that receiver, you would need to "double-up" on the speaker wire from the Left/Right speaker outputs, both positive and negative, with one set going to the speakers (as normal) and the other set being fed into a speaker-level to line-level adapter, like the one linked below:

Russound ADP-1.2 Speaker-level to Line-level Adapter at Crutchfield
(06:08:54 PM) Ryan Wright: From there, you would then be able to connect RCA from the Left/Right outputs of the adapter into the inputs of each subwoofer.
(06:09:15 PM) Ryan Wright: This would offer the same fidelity as connecting to the subwoofer via RCA connection from the pre-outs.

Basically I have given up for the mo.
Lol - it's the same agent (Ryan Wright), so why the different advice! I assume, you mentioned the subs you had were the SB1000 Pro's? The 1000's are the only subs in the SVS range that have speaker level connections, so he may be getting confused thinking you have a different model!

Edit: you'd only need the Russound ADP if you had say the SVS 2000 Pro's as these don't have speaker level connection, only line level.

SlimyRiddler

Lol - it's the same agent (Ryan Wright), so why the different advice! I assume, you mentioned the subs you had were the SB1000 Pro's? The 1000's are the only subs in the SVS range that have speaker lecel connections, so he may be getting confused thinking you have a different model!

Yeah I said 2x SB1000 Pro and explained everything. Perhaps you're right he got confused but what a monstrous time to get confused....

I'll tell you what I'm NOT doing, going back to that poor guy on Ebay after saying...

"Oh it has no remote, I can't have it.
Oh I can get a remote, I will take it!!!!
Oh I can't use the pre outs... I can't take it!
OH I CAN MAKE IT WORK I am told, I will check with SVS!!
Forget it I give up I can't take it....

HI IT'S ME AGAIN, I WILL TAKE THE AMP!"

I am gonna leave that poor guy alone, and just quietly accept I need to do more extensive research before offering to buy something from someone! ;P

Jester1066

Yeah I said 2x SB1000 Pro and explained everything. Perhaps you're right he got confused but what a monstrous time to get confused....
Indeed mate. Looking at the pic of the amp you can definitely connect as stated in my post. I'm 10000% sure. Of it.

Having said that I'd probably be inclined to save up and get an integrated amp with pre-outs (more consumer friendly connection method!) πŸ˜‚

SlimyRiddler

(more consumer friendly connection method!) πŸ˜‚

Yes. LOL ;P Thanks for all your help and I literally turned down the AMP due to Ryan telling me I need to buy an Adapter so if he was WRONG, he needs 5 minutes in the naughty corner while I go convince myself 'everything happens for a reason' 🀣😩

Jester1066

Yes. LOL ;P Thanks for all your help and I literally turned down the AMP due to Ryan telling me I need to buy an Adapter so if he was WRONG, he needs 5 minutes in the naughty corner while I go convince myself 'everything happens for a reason' 🀣😩
Well he was/is wrong..... As confirmed by..... erm.... himself!
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Save up mate - a decent integrated amp will make those Dali sing, but probably cost around Β£600. I'd also look at buying new mate - got the peace of mind of a warranty then πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘Œ

oscroft

I hope this doesn't add too much confusion, but even with jumpered pre-out to main-in RCA connections, you can still drive a sub's low-level input. You need two of these, one for each channel...
Plug them in to the pre-outs, and then connect short RCA cables to back to the main-in, and you have connections free to go to the subs.

SlimyRiddler

I hope this doesn't add too much confusion, but even with jumpered pre-out to main-in RCA connections, you can still drive a sub's low-level input. You need two of these, one for each channel...
Plug them in to the pre-outs, and then connect short RCA cables to back to the main-in, and you have connections free to go to the subs.

Thanks mate.

When SVS directly, the same person, says two different things, one of which I am told is flat out wrong on here - it's gone WELL past the point of too much confusion. LOL

Cheers.

oscroft

Thanks mate.

When SVS directly, the same person, says two different things, one of which I am told is flat out wrong on here - it's gone WELL past the point of too much confusion. LOL

Cheers.
Hehe, yes. I think in your position I might take a rest day, open a bottle (well, maybe not just yet, it is a bit early), and relax ;)

SlimyRiddler

Hehe, yes. I think in your position I might take a rest day, open a bottle (well, maybe not just yet, it is a bit early), and relax ;)

Haven't drank since new year but yeah defo tempting after yesterday! lol Maybe I treat myself to something nice to eat (I eat extremely healthy)

Paypal has froze my money too so neither the guy I bought the AMP from can cancel the order and relist nor can I get my money back for x amount of days to look for an alternative.

SlimyRiddler

Well he was/is wrong..... As confirmed by..... erm.... himself!
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Save up mate - a decent integrated amp will make those Dali sing, but probably cost around Β£600. I'd also look at buying new mate - got the peace of mind of a warranty then πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘Œ

From Jack Gilvey at SVS himself..

"Since the SB-1000 Pro already has speaker-level inputs you do not need an adapter.

You can also use line-level which is what I prefer. You would an RCA splitter on each pre-out and then send one leg of each channel back to the amp-in and one leg to a sub:"

Attachments

• inline-906324068.png
    inline-906324068.png
    569.4 KB · Views: 30

Jester1066

You can also use line-level which is what I prefer. You would an RCA splitter on each pre-out and then send one leg of each channel back to the amp-in and one leg to a sub:"
This is the "easy" consumer route, I'd go high level route as I described in my previous post. Going this route just requires some extra speaker cable 8 banana plugs (or 12 if you want to terminate both ends of the wire for your main speakers).

It also means you're not limited to buying an integrated amp that has low level RCA Pre-outs, so effectively any amp can be had/used with high level connection method.

You'll need:

2 x lengths of speaker wire - terminated with banana plugs (both ends - 8 plugs). This is for you main L&R speakers

2x lengths of speaker wire - each with one end terminated with banana plugs (4 plugs in total). Use the terminated end at the sub, bare end at the amp.

Then plug your main speakers into the same binding posts on the amp (using banana plugs).

Last edited:

Jester1066

Jester1066

Wow @SlimyRiddler and @Jester1066 , been following your discussion as SR and I were talking about his speakers the other day. Amazing how much I’ve learned about Subs today. 🧐
It's worth pointing out that most subs will be connected to integrated amps & AVR's by low level RCA and will not have the high level (speaker post connections) on the subs. The exceptions afaik (others can add to the list are):

SVS - (following models only)
SB1000
SB1000 Pro
PB1000
PB1000 Pro

BK - all models
REL - unsure of models, but most do afaik unless they are 'HT' models - designed for use in Home Theatre systems.

Where the more common "Low level RCA" is preferred, as most multi channel AVR's have dedicated sub outs (with built in bass management which EQ's the sub(s)).

Jamie

Distinguished Member
Maybe it depends on particular models you e experienced but I'd say it was the opposite and most subs I've seen have both high and low level inputs at least in my experience.
What is rare is subs that can use both at the same time which can be really useful in combined hifi and AV system.

SlimyRiddler

Maybe it depends on particular models you e experienced but I'd say it was the opposite and most subs I've seen have both high and low level inputs at least in my experience.
What is rare is subs that can use both at the same time which can be really useful in combined hifi and AV system.

Triple confirming, hopefully understandably ..

I am good to go with the Yamaha AX 596 and my 2 SVS SB100 Pro subs and will be able to control SUB volume with my AMP ?

Not that it makes much difference I've told the guy I'm takign the AMP no matter what now. However would be nice to get one more confirmation amidst all the confusion.

Call me paranoid at this point...

Jester1066

I think that's true tbf. In my own experience, until I got a BK sub (which can use both at the same time) - I hadn't heard of many subs having high level connections at all (except older, passive subs from one box HT systems for example).

Jester1066

I am good to go with the Yamaha AX 596 and my 2 SVS SB100 Pro subs and will be able to control SUB volume with my AMP ?

Not that it makes much difference I've told the guy I'm takign the AMP no matter what now. However would be nice to get one more confirmation amidst all the confusion.

Yes. Connect the subs using the high level method - outlined in my post #38 and by my transcript with SVS

I won't call you paranoid, but it will work. Any questions, once you got the amp PM me or post here. πŸ™‚

Edit Totally understandable why you'd be confused by it all too. But once you get the amp & set it up - you'll "kick yourself" at how simple it is, I promise!

Last edited:

SlimyRiddler

Yes. Connect the subs using the high level method - outlined in my post #38 and by my transcript with SVS

I won't call you paranoid, but it will work. Any questions, once you got the amp PM me or post here. πŸ™‚

Edit Totally understandable why you'd be confused by it all too. But once you get the amp & set it up - you'll "kick yourself" at how simple it is, I promise!

Much appreciated mate, and yeah I am sure I will!

Onlythesound

It brings to mind the first time I connected up an AVR amp in 5.1 mode back in the early 2000s. Couldn’t get my head round it because Stereo had been β€˜hard wired’ into my brain since 1973. We’ve all been there mate - don’t worry - and Lockdown has made it all the more difficult with not being able to get to shops and have a play around with gear. I hope it all fits and sounds great.πŸ‘πŸ––πŸ‘πŸ––

oscroft

Yep, quadruple confirm, all good :thumbsup:

SlimyRiddler

From Jack Gilvey at SVS himself..

"Since the SB-1000 Pro already has speaker-level inputs you do not need an adapter.

I hate more than ANYTHING, that I don't understand his diagram even SLIGHTLY - it literally means NOTHING to me. All I see is 'pre outs' which Jester specifically told me I can't use on the AX 596.

Trying to take something from this video but SHRUG And having two subs only makes things worse.

Trying to figure out what I need to buy before my AMP arrives.

Attachments

• inline-906324068.png
    inline-906324068.png
    569.4 KB · Views: 27

Jester1066

I hate more than ANYTHING, that I don't understand his diagram even SLIGHTLY - it literally means NOTHING to me. All I see is 'pre outs' which Jester specifically told me I can't use on the AX 596.
Ignore his diagram. You'll be using the high level (speaker posts) on both the Yamaha and SB1000's. When you get the amp, pm me and I'll guide you through connecting & setting it up. πŸ‘ŒπŸ‘πŸΌ

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Best Projectors of 2021 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Steve Withers
  • Published
Black Friday 2021: What you need to know
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray Special - The Cinema of Zhang Yimou & Gong Li
  • By Mark Costello
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 24th November 2021