I have a stupid question, if an AMP has a L/R Pre Out can I connect Subwoofers to this?

SlimyRiddler

Hi,

I am trying to find a STEREO AMP but I have 2x SB1000 Pro Subwoofers and need something with a Sub Out, is this the same thing? With a Sub Out I just use an RCA Splitter and run one cable to each Sub.

MANY amps I am looking at do not have 'Sub Out' but they have L/R 'Pre Out'

I think what I am saying is, will this work the same or is this totally something else..

Can someone educate my ass on this? I am looking at AMPS on Ebay but feel very restricted as decicated Sub Out's I guess are fairly recent on Stereo AMPS

Cheers.

Last edited:

Jester1066

Yep. You've basically got that spot on. An amp that has L&R pre-outs can be used with subs connected to said pre-outs in the same way as a dedicated sub out.

If your amp only has 1 sub out, you can use an RCA splitter as you say. Some subs like the SVS have an additional output on then- allowing you to Daisy Chain the subs together with an RCA cable.

4022207-9.png

Here's how you connect to the line level in a 2ch setup - with an amp that has pre-outs:

Screenshot_20210503-111429_Drive.jpg

Last edited:

Jamie

Distinguished Member
Doesn't the SB1000 have speaker level inputs?

Yes pre outs could be used to feed a sub, obviously the signal would be full range so you'd need to use the crossover controls on the sub and your speakers would still be getting a full range signal.

TBH support for subs on stereo amps is quite variable anyway, even those that do have a sub output don't necessarily have any bass management on board so there's not always an advantage to having a dedicated sub out.

Jester1066

Many thanks guys, and I am not after bass management.

More stupid Q....

Can I use L/R pre for STEREO subs ?
Yep see second image above 👍🏼- Just make sure you match the jack input➡️output colour.

Or a simpler way could be to use the L&R pre-outs of the amp to both the the L&R inputs on the sub (again matching the colour at both ends). Then run a 2nd set of RCA's from the output jacks of sub 1 to the input jacks of sub 2 (daisy chaining the subs).

Last edited:

SlimyRiddler

Yep see second image above 👍🏼- Just make sure you match the jack input➡️output colour.

Or a simpler way could be to use the L&R pre-outs to both the the L&R inputs on the sub (again matching the colour at both ends). The run a 2nd set of RCA's from the output jacks of sub 1 to the input jacks of sub 2 (daisy chain).

Yep many thanks mate in the image the wires split and it's just really confusing.

I can honestly say the 'going dual' image is just so completely confusing it tells me basically.. nothing.

Jester1066

Yep many thanks mate in the image the wires split and it's just really confusing.
The wires are split because it shows a seperate receiver & power amp. If you only have an integrated stereo amp with pre-outs, simply connect as follows:

Requires 2x RCA cables
Amp Pre-out (L) ➡️ Sub in (L) (1st sub) - 1x RCA cable
Amp Pre-out (R) ➡️ Sub in (R) (2nd sub) - 1x RCA cable

Or (Daisy Chain subs as foĺlows):

Requires 4x RCA cables
Amp Pre-out (L&R) ➡️ Sub in (L&R) (sub 1) - 2x RCA cable
Sub 1 "Out (L&R) ➡️ Sub 2 "In" (L&R) - 2x RCA cable

Hope that clears it up!

Last edited:

SlimyRiddler

The wires are split because it shows a seperate receiver & power amp. If you only have an integrated stereo amp with pre-outs, simply connect as follows:

Requires 2x RCA cables
Amp Pre-out (L) ➡️ Sub in (L) (1st sub) - 1x RCA cable
Amp Pre-out (R) ➡️ Sub in (R) (2nd sub) - 1x RCA cable

Legend. Thank you Sir. This would be my route.

I have a Topping E30 DAC just looking for an AMP with SUB Out or tbh L/R Pre Out seems BETTER as I could get stereo subs. (some argue this is better if available, omnidirectional or not)

Jester1066

Legend. Thank you Sir. This would be my route.

I have a Topping E30 DAC just looking for an AMP with SUB Out or tbh L/R Pre Out seems BETTER as I could get stereo subs. (some argue this is better if available, omnidirectional or not)
Your welcome!

Don't forget to set the crossover on the subs (in the app) so that it blends with your front L&R speakers.....

What make/model are your front speakers?

Edit: found what you got in your other thread - Dali Opticon 1's right? 😉

SlimyRiddler

Your welcome!

Don't forget to set the crossover on the subs (in the app) so that it blends with your front L&R speakers.....

What make/model are your front speakers?

Edit: found what you got in your other thread - Dali Opticon 1's right? 😉

Yes Sir! I have QA Concept 20 and Opticon 1 MK2 - The former are out of this world for the price... Currently using the Dali but could go either way.

SVS Matching tool gave me 60hz 24db slope for both speakers and I adjust to taste/position.

Just want an AMP with more juice since the Dali's are hard to drive.

Jester1066

Jester1066

Stereo integrated amp. Brand new.... £100w per channel.

Might fit the bill?

SlimyRiddler

Thanks I appreciate that, oddly I had that, and sent it back before opening lol in favour of the SMSL SA300 (when I did not need power!) Will those outputs work with my SUBS?? I mean I read somwhere that that amp will not adjust the volume of my subs with the AMP volume control.. As I was looking at this AMP (again) until I read that.

I am also looking at this second hand - Yamaha AX-596 and cannot figure out if this would work either..

Last edited:

Jester1066

Thanks I appreciate that, oddly I had that, and sent it back before opening lol in favour of the SMSL SA300 (when I did not need power!) Will those outputs work with my SUBS?? I mean I read somwhere that that amp will not adjust the volume of my subs with the AMP volume control.. As I was looking at this AMP (again) until I read that.

I am also looking at this second hand - Yamaha AX-596 and cannot figure out if this would work either..
You'll only need to set the crossover & gain (volume) once (as per SVS Matching tool). Once you've adjusted the subs volumes (in the app) to blend with your front speakers, the volume on the integrated amp will regulate your subs volume through the pre-amp section of the integrated amp.

Last edited:

Jester1066

Hi mate that's what I was hoping...

I just grabbed the Yamaha AX-596
Ah looking at the back of that amp the Pre-out connections are jumpered. So you can't use them to connect the subs! Same with that Sony I linked too. All is not lost though. You can just use the high level (speaker post connection) on the SB1000's. Simply use some normal speaker wire to connect both subs (speaker terminals) to the extra set of binding posts on the Yamaha. Then set the crossover and gain as per SVS Matching tool.

Edit: You were too quick on the draw buddy! Was about to advise on the Yamaha lol

Last edited:

SlimyRiddler

Ah looking at the back of that amp the Pre-out connections are jumpered. So you can't use them to connect the subs! Same with that Sony I linked too. All is not lost though. You can just use the high level (speaker post connection) on the SB1000's. Simply use some normal speaker wire to connect both subs (speaker terminals) to the extra set of binding posts on the Yamaha. Then set the crossover and gain as per SVS Matching tool.

Edit: You were too quick on the draw buddy! Was about to advise on the Yamaha lol

Thanks mate I am trying to cancel my ebay order with the sellar and I'm gonna just go cry for a while because this is all driving me mad lol :( Best I leave it a while until I actually understand what the hell I am doing.

Jester1066

Thanks mate I am trying to cancel my ebay order with the sellar and I'm gonna just go cry for a while because this is all driving me mad lol :( Best I leave it a while until I actually understand what the hell I am doing.
Fair enough mate. The Yamaha will work, just needs connecting differently. Fwiw - I think you need to consider increasing your budget a bit. Imo you'll struggle to get a good quality 100 wpc integrated amp for £200.

I'm a little surprised that the Opticon Mk2 are struggling with your current amp, which is rated 80wpc @ 4ohm. Are they clipping at high volume or sounding strained?

They'll definitely have a different sound signature the the QA's and are "harder" to drive being 4ohm speakers.

Edit did you manage to cancel the eBay purchase?

Last edited:

SlimyRiddler

Fair enough mate. The Yamaha will work, just needs connecting differently. Fwiw - I think you need to consider increasing your budget a bit. Imo you'll struggle to get a good quality 100 wpc integrated amp for £200.

I'm a little surprised that the Opticon Mk2 are struggling with your current amp, which is rated 80wpc @ 4ohm. Are they clipping at high volume or sounding strained?

They'll definitely have a different sound signature the the QA's and are "harder" to drive being 4ohm speakers.

Edit did you manage to cancel the eBay purchase?

Thanks buddy and yeah probably.

Hard to explain the C20 were so present and responsive, the Dali seem constrained by comparison, I just assumed they needed more juice to sound more effortless, the C20 had a lot to say and at lower settings on my AMP.

The Dali seem like they're hiding in the cupboard reluctant to come out...

It's like they're piggy backing my subs where as the C20 seemed to walk along side with authority and confidence

Contrary to popular belief, this is not a What-HiFi review

Jester1066

Thanks buddy and yeah probably.

Hard to explain the C20 were so present and responsive, the Dali seem constrained by comparison, I just assumed they need more juice to sound more effortless, the C20 had a lot to say and at lower settings on my AMP.

The Dali seem like they're hiding in the cupboard reluctant to come out...
Do you have any stores like Richersounds, Sevenoaks etc near you? If so why not go and do some instore demo's with the Opticons connected to different integrated amps. This will tell you if it's the amplifier or if you just aren't used to the sound of the Dali's compared to the C20's. Best of all its free to do!

SlimyRiddler

Do you have any stores like Richersounds, Sevenoaks etc near you? If so why not go and do some instore demo's with the Opticons connected to different integrated amps. This will tell you if it's the amplifier or if you just aren't used to the sound of the Dali's compared to the C20's. Best of all its free to do!

Totally get it mate but under current circumstances this is complex and as it is, nothing near me anyway, so I have always been relegated to reading online, asking questions, a lot of questions lol, and making educated guesses.

One thing I will say, if I seem unresponsive to the 'alternative' method of connection to my subs, I shall now elaborate - I just ASSUME, there's a catch, to doing it that way - or everyone would do this right? lol

Jester1066

One thing I will say, if I seem unresponsive to the 'alternative' method of connection to my subs, I shall now elaborate - I just ASSUME, there's a catch, to doing it that way - or everyone would do this right? lol
Don't think there's a catch as such. More that the majority of subs no longer have high level (speaker post) connections. Especially since most of the time subs are used in systems that have built in bass management (like home theatre amps).

High Level connection, is actually the preferred option when using subs in a stereo (2ch) setup , as it ensures the subs receive the exact same full range signal that your mains do. The only reason it's not used more imo is because:

a: it's not offered on many subwoofers
b: most consumers are familiar with using an RCA cable(s) to connect subs, so it's perceived as "easy". Especially if the amp has a "dedicated sub out". Consumers are familiar with this connection method.

SlimyRiddler

Don't think there's a catch as such. More that the majority of subs no longer have high level (speaker post) connections. Especially since most of the time subs are used in systems that have built in bass management (like home theatre amps).

High Level connection, is actually the preferred option when using subs in a stereo (2ch) setup , as it ensures the subs receive the exact same full range signal that your mains do. The only reason it's not used more imo is because:

a: it's not offered on many subwoofers
b: most consumers are familiar with using an RCA cable(s) to connect subs, so it's perceived as "easy". Especially if the amp has a "dedicated sub out". Consumers are familiar with this connection method.

This makes plenty of sense - This time I am gonna hold off before I do r say anything! LOL

I may try and confirm this with SVS support before I run back to the Ebay guy and say, NO WAIT it's OK I'll take it! LOL

Jester1066

SVS tell me I need this Russound ADP1.2 Speaker-Level to Line-Level Stereo Converter - CyberSelect

Along with the fact the AMP has no remote which I will need to buy this is now a £200 AMP

I am just gonna pass for now and regroup and rethink.

Truly appreciate your help today mate.
Lol that's not what they've told me....

Here's a transcript:

Chat Transcript with Peter
Chat started on 03 May 2021, 06:22 PM (GMT+0)
(06:22:32) * Peter joined the chat *
(06:22:32) Peter: Hi can you please explain how I use the high level (speaker post) to connect the SB1000 Pro to an amplifier without either Pre-outs or a dedicated sub out. Many thanks
(06:22:36) * Ryan Wright joined the chat *
(06:22:39) SVS Customer Service: Thanks for your message, please wait a moment while our agents attend to you.
(06:23:45) Ryan Wright: Hi Peter, thanks so much for the message!
(06:24:44) Peter: I've had a look in the SB1000 Pro manual, but it doesn't mention the high level connection at all. It does in the SB1000 manual. Is it the same?
(06:25:05) Ryan Wright: It is the same connection for both subwoofers between the PB and SB-1000 Pro units.
(06:25:31) Peter: I know that lol...
(06:26:49) Ryan Wright: You will need to double-up on the speaker cabling from the left/right positive and negative outputs of the amp. One set of speaker cables will connect to the speakers as normal, and the other set will connect to the speaker-level inputs of the subwoofer.
(06:27:22) Ryan Wright: Most customers use bare-wire for both sets of cables on the amplifier side, and terminated ends on the speaker and subwoofer sides in this application.
(06:29:47) Peter: OK cool... one ither question.... Can I use this method to connect 2 SVS SB1000 Pro's to the same amp (ie go dual subs). Using bannana plugs that are stackable?
(06:31:26) Ryan Wright: If going dual subs, you will want to connect one subwoofer to the left channel only, and the other subwoofer to the right channel only in the same manner.
(06:31:50) Peter: Ah of course your right!
(06:31:52) Ryan Wright: You will not need to connect both subwoofers to the left/right channel for each, just left channel to left sub, and right channel to right sub.
(06:34:06) Peter: Many thanks
(06:34:21) Ryan Wright: You're most welcome!
(06:34:57) Ryan Wright: Is there anything else I can assist you with this afternoon?
(06:35:12) Peter: No thanks
(06:35:39) Ryan Wright: You're very welcome! Thanks for the chat and interest in SVS. Have a great day!
(06:37:57) * Ryan Wright left the chat *
(06:37:57) * Peter left the chat *
NAME Peter
URL Livechat Popout
DEPARTMENT Tech Support
SERVED BY Ryan Wright

Basically (as I suspected) connect the left high level speaker posts on one sub to the left speaker posts on the amp.

Connect the 2nd subs right high level speaker posts to the **right**speaker posts on the amp. I'd use bare wires at the amp end and banana plugs at the sub end.

Your main left and right speakers will then connect to the same corresponding speaker posts on the amp via banana plugs.

So you'll have the left sub (bare wire) and left speaker (banana plug) on the left amp post. Which is mirrored for the right sub & speaker.

Make sense?

Edit: read from (06:29:47) onwards in the transcript as that's what you do with dual SB1000 Pro's

Where do you live. If it ain't far I'll come set it all up (for a fee 😂😂😉😉👍🏼)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Toy Stories - Turning Toys into Blockbuster Movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

KEF adds Ci160ES to Architectural Speaker range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Hisense increases Laser TV sales following Euros
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung Smart Start offer grants access to premium TV apps