I have a PS3 why would I want an Apple TV?

next010

Distinguished Member
None unless you use the iTunes store, the AppleTV is more or less an iTunes media extender.

Sandman

Distinguished Member
Maybe I should go and post this in the PS3 forum.

I have an xbox 360 and a blu-ray player. Why would I want a PS3?

RobM

Distinguished Member
Well I'll give it a go :)

Because it's easier, quicker, simpler and more enjoyable to get to your iTunes media and the entire iTunes library. You've got a massive, massive range of TV and film to watch trailers of, rent and buy.

If you have an iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch this becomes your remote control if you wish.

It's small, power efficient and can be hidden away nicely and silently, making it a very unobtrusive way of getting access to everything. I dare say that if you're music is in iTunes you might find yourself using this more than the Duet.

Do you need it? No.
Would you enjoy it if you owned on? Yes :)

HTH :)

Adam M

it's cheap enough, so get both.

Apple products are cool, so it's fun to buy them just for the sake of it, just so that they can work together.

The toy factor of the control from the iphone meant I couldn't resist.

If you want sensible reasons, you'll have to look elsewhere.

dc8900

Distinguished Member
if your current set up works for you, keep it, no need to get the ATV

but if you use itunes a lot or want it integrated via itunes, than at £99 it's a great buy

I have a PS3 and then I did go out and got an AppleTV and then another one ;-)

Main reason, PS3 is really not family friendly with
a) an over complicated remote
b) you'd have to buy a remote as using the controller is just even more stupid
c) no IRDA thus a great remote like the Harmony can't be used

Then the PS3 is noisy, very very noisy compared to an appleTV, and apple tv also uses less electricity.

And mostly an Apple TV doesn't have everytime I try to switch on my PS3 a mandatory system update. You can juust enjoy and use it immediately.

RichJD

Novice Member
+ for music, you don't need the tv on to see what you're doing if you have an iPad/iPhone etc to control it!

dc8900

Distinguished Member
while I deployed my atv for a second room, if you want to go all out, get a mac mini ;) but having looked at these ps3/xbox 360 options does look like a bit of a faff in comparison

RobM

Distinguished Member
while I deployed my atv for a second room, if you want to go all out, get a mac mini ;) but having looked at these ps3/xbox 360 options does look like a bit of a faff in comparison
A Mac Mini can be made to do a heck of a lot more, but you lose the instant-on, family friendly, utterly simple approach. The AppleTV can be powered on from cold and watching media within a minute, whereas the Mini needs to boot OSX, load your favourite front-end (Front Row, Plex, XBMC etc) and then navigate to the media you want.

AppleTV is incredibly simple and quick to use and this is one of it's biggest attractions. Plus the iTunes library is far simpler to navigate for new content of any type.

I'm with RobM on that one.

If I was on my own I'd probably go for a Mac Mini as I don't mind that. But the AppleTV is just an appliance which makes it brilliant.

dc8900

Distinguished Member
A Mac Mini can be made to do a heck of a lot more, but you lose the instant-on, family friendly, utterly simple approach. The AppleTV can be powered on from cold and watching media within a minute,
yeah, I know, I just hate the fact I from turning on, need to wait 120 seconds! 120! to load into plex ;)

but yeah, I got both, I guess my point is, if you want to do more get a mini or revo/eee box but for simplicity the ATV is brilliant :thumbsup:

dc8900

Distinguished Member
two whole minutes that is shocking, even my old windows laptop is quicker than that ;-p
well that is the total of from turning it on, then opening up plex and clicking through to my programmes

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom