I have a few questions for those that have the Sony Bravia KDLW40A12U and Xbox 360.

Rott

Standard Member
Any gamers here have a Sony Bravia KDLW40A12U model and uses the Xbox 360 and/or Xbox . I've also done searches but I can't seem to find the answers I need.

1: What is NTSC playback? Is it the same as NTSC Compatible?

2: I'm from the US and I was wondering does the picture downgrades when using a NTSC signal product?

3: Are there any ghosting and lag issues when gaming on it.

4: Are the Component inputs 50hz/60hz or are they just Component 50hz only?

5: Are there any LCD TVs in the UK that is better than the Sony Bravia KDLW40A12U?

I plan to use this TV for gaming (Xbox, Xbox 360, and Dreamcast) watching TV and watching DVD movies. All of them are NTSC products.

andrewfee

NTSC playback means that it's able to play all NTSC sources as well as PAL. NTSC signals will not downgrade, but non-HD PAL ones should look better than non-HD NTSC ones due to the extra resolution and better colour system.

Component inputs have to be both 50Hz and 60Hz capable for any set to be HD-Ready. (which it is)

Can't help you with ghosting/lag, as I don't own one, but I imagine it will be fine. As for sets that are better; it's all subjective. Sony has the best blacks of any LCD I've seen, as it has a power saving mode that can bring the backlight right down. Sony has just announced a new 46" X series, which will likely be better, but cost an awful lot more. There is also a new V series; the KDL-40V2000U. I believe this will have a better set of inputs than the W40, and has the new BRAVIA Engine, instead of the WEGA Engine.

The W series will have a much better speaker system, but I believe that's it apart from looks.

Rott

Standard Member
Thanks for the reply. Now that you mention it I think it would be better for me to go ahead and get a KDL-40X2000U instead because by the time I move there in December, Sony woudl most likely have discontinued them.

I have two more questions if you can answer them for me.
1: Will these new sets likely to support VGA? I noticed that they weren't listed in the KDLW40A12U specs although I coudl be wrong and you guys call them something else there.

2: What is VTA? I see it always listed but don't know what it means.

gavinhunt`

I've just got an box and have been going around in circles re what to buy. I've finally decided on the new X series 40" as it has 1080p and Sept is the release date however it fits well with my home AV plans. If i were going to buy tomorrow it would be the Bravia V (new or old) or the Philips 32 or 37 9830 which are on par in my humble opinon but I don't like the actual design looks wise, but they both have ambilight, naff as it sound is really v.v.v.good.

gavinhunt`

Thanks for that I wasn’t aware of the Philips issues, let hope they sort themselves out before the full Ambilight surround gets released!! As a large amount of my viewing is in a reasonably dark room it sounds like I would not have been too happy! Thx

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom