i have a few questions for pioneer 427xd/x360 owners

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by jpb82, Jan 3, 2007.

1. jpb82

jpb82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    hi

i have a few questions i would like to ask pioneer 427xd
    owners who have a x360 connected to there screen.

1. what concerns me about buying the pioneer 427xd
    instead of the sony 40x2000 is that for gaming because a 42" plasma
    has a lower resolution than an lcd the PQ will not be as
    sharp or detailed could anyone tell me if this is true of false.

2. when gaming on your pioneer 427xd what kind of
    precautions do you take to avoid screen burn.

3. i dont suppose anyone before they brought there
    pioneer 427xd tested it against the sony 40x2000
    which is the lcd im interested in if so what made you
    choose the pioneer.

thanks

2. BYF

BYF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    False in many respects, games move fast and LCDs don't handle motion as well as plasma so graphics will blur more and look soft and out of focus whenever theres fast motion or camera panning. The same will occur when watching fast sports or action scenes on tv, dvd in HD or SD.

On Plasma the graphics will look alot crisper and clearer during fast motion and camera pans, not just when things are still or slow moving with no camera panning like on LCD.

Screen burn is much less of an issue now on plasma's, image retention is still possible but this will go very quickly.
    ive tried a sony x and w on the 360 playing a footy game PES6 and i found the motion blur problem as i described above when the camera was panning
    very annoying indeed, it even made it hard to play the game as the graphical detail comes and goes all the time as the camera stops and moves to keep up with play. the sony x costs like £2000, and even my grandads £100 CRT handles motion about 10 times better.

ive tried a few plasmas and they handle motion far better thaany LCD

the bonus with plasma is that your get deeper blacks, better contrast, realistic colours and a great viewing angle.

3. VKara101

VKara101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    a planet somewhere in the depths of the universe
    Ratings:
    +57
    Hi jpb

Firstly, i do not have an xbox360 myself, but have borrowed a friends to check out the performance on my 427xd. I'd also like to add that it looks amazing.

1) Personally i dont think that the difference in resolution is noticable at a normal viewing distance from the screen, Although i have not seen the 427xd against the x2000 playing xbox, i have seen it on a full HD and 720p, both side by side in a demo room. I was sitting roughly 3 metres from the screens and could not tell the difference in the resolution. Although i did feel that the colour depth and blacks of the pio were took the sony apart.

2) When playing the xbox, i put the pio into game mode, and dropped the contrast and brightness down slightly. I have played for 2-3hrs on occasions and suffered from very slight image retention that has clear in minutes. I guess on this point the sony comes up on top, however the pioneer is good against burn/retention in comparison to the older models.

3) As i mentioned i did see both side by side, i also viewed the 46W2000 and 52X2000 against the 427xd, 507xd, and couple panasonic plasma models.
    So why did i choose the pio427xd?? well from my comparisons i could not handle the ghosting/blurring effect that lcds suffer from, i also didnt like the black representations of the lcds or thier colour depths. I'd also like to point out incase anyone asks that the comparisons i made in demo rooms, and not on shop floors, also before i made my decision i was sitting on the fence between lcd and plasma.

Other things i noticed was the SD performance, this is something i thought was very bad especially on the sony models, the SD signals have very grainy images, where as both the pio and panny screens dealt with it very well.

In the end i decided that i'd rather have a plasma that deals with SD (as alot of the stuff i'd be view is in SD), better colour depths and blacks, and no ghosting, for me the PQ was better on plasmas. I'd rather have a screen that has a better PQ than a higher resolution. End of the day, your eyes can only notice so much detail, they are more likely to see differences in colour and ghosting than the difference between full hd and a downscaled 1080 or a 720p.

Guess it depends on what your after, a screen for playing xbox, pc input and majority hd content, or a screen that performs all round. Had my pio for just over 2months, and i feel i made the best choice for my requirements.