Question I have a bunch of random stuff, what do I buy to connect them and make it sound good?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by HearingNoob, Aug 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. HearingNoob

HearingNoob
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I've currently got an jumble of equipment that has been donated/aquired/collected over the years. To me it sounds ok (although a little bass light) and isn't too much of a pain to use, but unfortunately it's time to upgrade the brains of unit, and I'm looking for help.

My current set up includes:
    • A Denon UD-M5 Mini Disc player, which is taking it's feed from the AUX-Out of my TV
    • A pair of Denon SC-M5K Bookshelf speakers
    • A Wharfedale SW150 Sub which is taking it's feed from the line-out of the UD-M5
    • A Toshiba 1080P TV
    • A PS4 (straight into the TV)
    • A PS3 (straight into the TV)
    • A Nintendo Wii (straight into the TV)
    • A SNES Classic (HDMI Connector straight into the TV)
    I also have a set of KEF KHT2005.2 speakers (5.1 but I don't have the the Sub unit) which aren't being used

At the moment everything is running in a 2.1 set up, and I primarily use the system for playing YouTube/Games from the PS4. Going forward I'll probably upgrade the TV to a 4K display in the next year, and at some point in the next few years I'll move to a surround sound set up when I move house and wiring isn't so much of a pain.

The reason for the upgrade is that the Denon Mini Disc player's remote died a while ago, and now the volume dial is slowly dying, causing no end of grief trying to change the volumne.

Doing reviews, I see that the Sony STR-DN1080 gets a lot of love, and looks fairly future-proof, but it's got loads of features that I doubt I'll ever use (it's unlikely I'll ever wire cable to other rooms for multi-room for example).

Does anyone have any thought of what I should get? (P.s I'm useless at selling things, so a 'buy now, sell it later and upgrade' isn't really an option).

2. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,327
    The vast majority of modern receivers, apart from the very entry level, comes packed with features that many do not need or require. That is simply the way the industry is moving. What you will need is a receiver with 4K pass through and the various upgrades that the 4K format is going to need, ie, Dolby Vision.

I would strongly suggest a receiver with Atmos capability as the format is wonderful for film and I suppose gaming, I'm not a gamer. The Sony you mention along with the Denon X2400, which is now being replaced by the 2500, are among the market leaders and both will fit your bill.

All your equipment can be connected to the receiver by HDMI, leaving just one HDMI lead to the TV, a much neater and easier solution.

Denon AVRX2400 (Black)

3. HearingNoob

HearingNoob
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for your thoughts.

There is a big chunk of change difference between the Denon and the Sony, and the reviews I've seen don't seem to make out that there is much between them, apart from Chromecast support. Would you suggest the Denon is the better value?

4. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,327
    I just prefer Denon to Sony. Denons are somewhat easier to set up and have a better room EQ system in Audyssey XT.