1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have a 'BIG' problem finding a screen please help

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by nero0410, Dec 18, 2004.

1. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,399
    As per title, I have a 'BIG' problem.

I have made various home made screens with sheets, card, board and blackout curtains/material.

I have finally decided it is time time to try to find a 16:9 screen the size I have been used to: 10ft wide x 6ft high.

Does anyone have any idea at all as to where I can buy a screen this size (just a normal wall mounted screen with a pull not electric) for no more than £300???

Is it possible to get a screen this size and/or at this price??

Please help and advise

cheers

tris

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,083
    Your best bet might be to keep your existing frame and buy proper screen material from someone like Ellie and stretch/staple it over it. That's all I did to upgrade from blackout cloth.

Ellie's cloth only goes up to 9.84ft wide though (less after you've wrapped some round the frame for stapling), so you'll have to look elsewhere. Harknesshall and DRH may have the material in the size you want.

Gary.

3. moviemike

moviemike
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can get a screen that size, I'm just not so sure about getting one at that price!

Beamax do one: http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/product.asp?id=3295

I have the 6" version - it looks great, but there's no blackout cloth around it, just a matt black powder paint finish on the aluminium frame.

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,083
    RTFM has a Beamax (as does a friend of mine), and they produce a nice image IMHO.

As you say though Mike, geting a screen that size at that price will be tricky, which is why I sugested the material only. That will cost £200 - £300 all by itslef.

Gary.

5. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,399
    Is there any places I can get a roller screen (i think thats what they are called) (not electric)??

As I dont want to have a frame screen as it done my head in carrying it from the bedroom to the living room all the time. Which is why I got some black out curtains.

A frame screen wasnt a good idea as it is a sod to put away and get out all the time, and I cant have it up permently as it blocks out the main window. Which is whay I would like to find a roller screen

Disregard the price at the moment I just would like to get a rough idea

Cheers

Tris

6. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,399
    Ok, Anyone have any suggestions for an 8ft wide screen please???

Please let me know what size and how much and where to get it, preferbly a uk based place

thanks

tris

7. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,399
    Seen the beamax r-black 244x141 here:

www.beamaxed.co.uk/

and the grandview 7' 8'' (EP52MW) one here:

http://www.ivojo.co.uk/grandview-manual-pulldown.htm and here:

http://www.intoav.com/projectors/projector_screens/grandviewpulldownscreens.htm (more expensive)

What do you guys think of these screens??

Are they a good match for the panny ae200e projector wanting to project at these sizes. I presume that they would be better than my 'lovely' creased blackout curtains.

Also could you please let me know your opinions on screens where to get them and how much?? I'm trying to keep within a £300 budget-ish as I'm not paying for it

Cheers

tris

8. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,083
    I think the Ae200 is only rated at 700 lumens, which means it's probably only got 400 to 500 real lumens now that the lamp has aged and because manufacturers figures are rarely accurate. You generaly aim for between 12 to 16ft lamberts of light reflected from a screen, so 500 divided buy the screen area of 36sq ft equals 13ft lamberts. Multiply that by 1.2 gain of a Beamax screen, and you should be OK with 16ft lamberts. Lamps tend to dim to about 50% of their rated lumens by the time they need replacing, so as that time approaches, the image will be quite dim, but probably still watchable at around 11ft lamberts.

If that kind of brightness is too dull (some like very bright images), then you may have to go for a smaller screen, or more gain. More gain can mean more hotspotting though, and gain above 1.3 may be problematic.

Gary.

9. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The "blackout" white roller blinds sold in Focus and other DIY stores make excellent roll-down screens. They only go up to 1.8m W x 1.6m drop, though at £49.99. They have a dimpled finish, which helps light reflection.

10. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,399
    Gary Lightfoot

I'm going to be honest, I havent got a clue what lamberts are (unless there smokeable and come in packs of 10 or 20 :) ). But somehow I think I know what your going on about.

I'm not too bothered about the brightness of the screen. As it is I find it too bright, so if it did go down I dought it would bother me too much.

I am currently using a pair of blackout curtains. I was projecting an image 10ftx6ft, however I am now projecting an image 8ftx?? (??-forgot to measure the image height) So I'm hopeing to get somthing about 8ft wide.

So far the types of surfaces I have used are:

A wall painted yellow (when testing)

A blue and a yellow sheet pinned together

A very very large piece of card mounted on a home made frame (which proved to be a pain shifting all the time, as when in use covered my window)

And now on to the blackout curtains (quite a rippling expierence, if you know what I mean)

Nick_UK

I was thinking about a blackout blind, but could never find one big enough. I would really like to try and get a proper 8ft screen if I can, however if you ever come across an 8ft blackout blind please let me know as I'd have a go with that before I manage to get a screen. Shame ikea dont go up to 8ft.

cheers

Please keep the advice and opinions coming

tris

11. grahambateman

grahambateman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 6 foot screen for sale , brand new if any one is interested

12. absthechatter

absthechatter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  13. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,083
    Hi Nero,

I justthought I'd mention it just to make you aware that the bigger you go, the amount of light reflected reduces by a fair bit, so by doing the calculation we'd know if you'd have an image bright enough to fill your screen. It's very tempting to get a big screen only to find the image is too dim to be watchable.

8ft sounds more practicle so a plain screen with no gain such as a blackout blind should work quite well I would think. I was using a 7ft wide blackout cloth fixed screen for 3 years with no problems.

Gary.

14. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,399
    Hi, a have also been looking at these:

http://www.drhscreens.co.uk/slimline.html

The 231x173 viewable area (241 altogether) £178 (what are these like?? Any one have some screenshots with an ae200 and one of these??)

grahambateman

Someone has offered to give me a 6ft screen as long as I pay the postage, just havent heard from him for a while now.

absthechatter

Thanks, I'll take a look. However for that sort of price I might as well get a proper screen.

Gary Lightfoot

I did get on quite well with the 10ftx6ft approx image, I agree that 8ft or 7ft is more practicle. I'd really like to get a proper screen at some point, there are so many different sizes and prices and types it is rather hard. I just want to get a good cheap 16:9 7-8ft screen, but cant decide what to go for

Thanks

tris

15. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,399
    Also how will I know if the projected image would overlap the screen or not?? I dont want to get a screen then find that I cant use all the viewable area due to the image being too wide or high to fit in exactly

EDIT: What one would be better out of the grad view and drh??? and have the fastest delivery time??

tris

16. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,083
  17. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,399
    Thanks guv

Just done a calculation, the screen from drh would be perfect 231w 130h viewable. About 8ft in width and 4.4ft in height

Would this be a good screen to go for for £176?

(I presume this screen can be wall mounted??)

tris

18. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,399
    Anyone??

I would like some advice as I would like to order one for my old man and myself tomorrow, as he's paying :) (for now :rolleyes: )

cheers

tris

19. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,083
    Hi Nero,

Sorry but I missed your first reply. :)

On the face of it, that screen for that price seems good value, but I've no idea if it'll suffer from ripples of some sort. Most non tab-tensioned screens do seem to have ripples, but quite often they're not visible during playback.

I'm sure there are a few people on this forum with that screen, so it would be good to get some opinions from the owners. Maybe try asking on the pj forum to see if the screen works well with your pj. I would think you'd get more replies there as more people tend to post there.

Gary.

20. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,399
    Thank you very much.

I sent them an email last night asking if they could get them here with a next day delivery for an extra cost, however they replied this morning and said that they would do next day delivery at no extra cost.

So far so good, hopefully be ordering this afternoon.

I'll keep you posted

Thanks

tris

21. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,399
    I gave DRH a ring this morning and asked if they can accept a solo card from natwest for payment, and they said that they could, even though it isnt a visa/mastercard etc....

So I went to the bank and put some money in and ordered them over the phone this afternoon.

He was very polite and told me that they would dispatch them both tomorrow, and that they would be delivered this wednesday.

I will keep you informed as to how my expierences go, so though everything seems fine at the moment. The bloke I spoke to seemed very nice, polite and helpful.

tris

22. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,399
    I will continue this thread on my thread called DRH Screens

That way I wont have to post the same thing here as well as there

regards

tris