1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have a 10 yrd old KENWOOD KA-3020 SPECIAL EDITION AMP and..

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Pugger, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Pugger

Pugger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It’s been great since day one (10 yrs ago) noticed yesterday that my JPW speakers were sounding a bit rough. First I though it was something wrong with the amp then I checked the speakers. To my surprise both the main cones have torn away at the outer edges of the speaker wall all away around the circumference. (sorry this is as best that I can describe it). The left speaker has torn completely around the outside whilst the other is about a 1/3 gone. I assume this is due to old age, rather than anything else. I have been looking at new speakers and was wondering if anyone else new of a good speaker to pair up with the Kenwood amp. I know it’s getting on but it still sounds great to me. I was interested in KEF Q1's, wise choice with the amp? by the way I'm using the Cambridge Audio D300SE CD player as my main source. Any advice gratefully received.

2. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Pugger:

I had a 3020 amp (Original version) up till last year, when i upgraded to an Marantz 4300. But it must of been 15 years old, and it was still going strong, good build quality.

Very good amp, loved the sound quality....and yes mine enjoyed destroying speakers too. :D (Must be something to do with driving the amp too hard, speakers get a good thrashing !! :D )

Since upgrading, i do now enjoy the sound quality of the Marantz, and would like to upgrade to the 5300 version, which has comp.video / s-video switching. (One or the other on the 4300)

I think my 3020, ran just about any speaker i used on it. It did prefer bigger speakers, as small bookshelf type speakers went pop after a few months.

Good luck on your upgrades.....

Cheers

Cosmic023