• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

I have 5.1.2 but need power amp for 7.1.2. Advice / recommendations?

Garioch

Distinguished Member
Hi,

I currently have a 5.1.2 setup, comprised as follows:

Anthem AVM 60 Processor and
Anthem MCA 525 (5-channel) driving my five speakers.
Anthem MCA 30 (3-channel) driving my two overheads.

As you can see, I have a spare channel on the MCA 30.

I have acquired 2 spare speakers to establish a 7.1.2 setup. If I were to sell or exchange my MCA 30, is there a suitable power amp that someone could recommend please that has a minimum 4 channels, purely for driving the overheads + 2 spare speakers (to bump it up from 5.1.2 to 7.1.2)?

I was checking specs on the MCA 30 - is there one that is similar? I know that the power amp doesn't need to be particularly powerful for the overheads and spares but welcome any thoughts / suggestions. The most obvious one I could think of was MCA 50 (5 channels) but it's difficult to find.

Specs of the MCA 30 here:

MCA30.png

Or I could get another power amp altogether but I'd like to consolidate into a single power amp to drive the overheads and 2 spare speakers (to bump it up from 5.1.2 to 7.1.2). Just neater solution.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:

mcbainne

Distinguished Member
Emotiva do a 4 channel of the popular XPA series which is a similar power level

I use 2 XPA-5 Gen 3's (with an Anthem MRX 720) and they are great amps. Other than that Nord is probs your best bet

Garioch

Distinguished Member
Thank you - and I see that the Emotivas also support balanced XLR cables. I'll investigate - gives me something to look for now. Cheers, much appreciated.

mcbainne

Distinguished Member
The XLR facility was what tipped it for me as it gave me the flexibility if i moved to a processor at some point in the future

I bought mine from Dan when he was at the movie rooms although he's now at the sound council in Edinburgh

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom