1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have £300 to spend on a new TV

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Rory C, Mar 31, 2003.

1. Rory C

Rory C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Basically I need to upgrade from my bog standard 14" portable mono as I really feel it is hampering my enjoyment of the games I love now, my budget for a new set will extend to around £300 or so when my student loan arrives soonish.

I'm a student, so I'm going to be moving around between lots of cramped rooms over the next few years, I don't want a mega-huge set, 21" would be a good size for me. The set is going to be used almost exclusively for gaming, and a minimum of flashy extras would be helpful, Ie no teletext or anything like that. If someone can give a compelling reccomendation for widescreen (if it's available at that kind of price) then I may just consider it, but it's not a priority of mine to be honest. Also bear in mind that I mainly listen to games through headphones. RGB support is also something of a neccessity.

Someone on another forum pointed me in the direction of this fella http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/productdetailsnew.asp?modelcode=SON-KV21LS30&affiliateid=76, the Sony KV21LS30 21" wega, I was wondering if the experienced chaps here would be able to give me some advice on this.

That's it really, any specific manufacturers or models I should check out? that would be most helpful.

2. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    I have that exact Sony set, will do everything you want. I use it primarily as a gaming TV (for USA GC, Xbox, USA DC, PS and USA N64) and it fits the bill perfectly, comfortably handling NTSC 3.58/4.43 which is sometimes a problem for TVs in the 21" class. Only downside I can think of (and I'm reaching here!) is that it only has one RGB SCART (and one SVideo-supporting SCART). To be fair, a lot of its competitors don't even have that. Oh, and it has a menu feature to move the screen left or right to avoid those annoying RGB offset problems (not that I've had any but the feature's there all the same).

Highly recommended. Sony was always the No1 choice after I've had previous 21" Sony TVs. No problems with years of trouble-free service. Wega screen is a peach too. I'm sure you'll get the same response from other owners.

3. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Everything "Loada" said :).

I use the same TV as a bedroom set and for gaming. Suits these purposes perfectly :smashin:.

4. WSH

WSH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I have the 14" version of that and the picture is great.

5. ryanos

ryanos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Not sure about your specific model but I have 10 yr old Sony 21" in the bedroom and is superb almost as good as the picture on my Sony 32fx66...........from my experience you can't go wrong with Sony :smashin: