1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have £1,000 to £1,500 to spend and want simple system to watch Sky in the bedroom.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by the_boxhead, Jul 5, 2005.

1. the_boxhead

the_boxhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a bit (a lot actually) of a newbie, so cut me some slack...

Well, my portable TV in the bedroom went *pop* last night, so the Mrs. has sent me out to investigate a plasma screen so she can read the Sky menus from bed.

I've currently got my Sky box feeding from my loft using coax (RF?), to both my lounge (32" Sony CRT) and the bedroom.

I'm looking for a simple plasma setup that will give good results from abut 10' away, mainly for viewing Sky, and occasional DVD's. I'm thinking about a 32" screen, but if a 42" works out cheaper (or better) I'll go with that. I'll need a screen that comes with speakers too.

What would you reccomend as a screen?
    Having read a fair number of forum posts I'm leaning towards going for an Hitachi or a Panasonic screen.

Should I invest in a digital scart sender from the Sky box to the new plasma, or use the existing coax?

Many thanks,
    Box

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    get sky multiroom with another STB in bedroom or PQ will be useless and for ease of operation a panny PA50 or Hitachi 5300 are probably your best bets

3. the_boxhead

the_boxhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if these are stupid questions, but...

Why would the PQ be worse using a digital scart sender? I can understand that the coax is analog, but doesn't a digital sender do the same as a scart cable (assuming not too much interference in the digital siginal). I'd prefer not to have to go multiroom if possible.

What's the reason for choosing the 5300 over the 5200 (it comes with a media box? - What does that do? Do I need one?)

Also what are your reasons for the PA50 over the PW7?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm trying to learn
    thanks,
    Box

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    video senders generally only transmit composite video, RGB available from the Box direct is so much better

Digital DOES not equal BETTER

For a lounge or HC room it has to be a panel every time but in bedroom i am guessing you wont want to go the AV amp route in which case a media box or TV plasma has operational benefits.... but you could use a Sky box connect to a PWD7 and use the optional speakers sky remote will control volume and power and witha JS RGB>VGA no input switching is required but you then dont get the analogue tuner teletext etc that you would with a TV variant (could use pWD7 with media box but dont pay more than £150 for a media box, card and cable)

5. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Do you want a screen which you can use out of the box(with speakers and stand)?

6. the_boxhead

the_boxhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pretty much yes, but, I want to be able to get a reasonable quality picture, from posts I've read, and as far as I understand it the quality goes like this:
    Coax into RF input - bad
    Scart composite - medium
    Scart RGB - good

At present, and for the foreseeable future, I'm stuck with either a coax connection, or a composite scart connection via a sender. It's strange, the Mrs. will let me spend £1500 on a telly in the bedroom that I don't often watch, and she watches when going to sleep, but doesn't like the idea of £10 p/m for Sky multiroom - go figure.

Box

7. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    Mmmm... you could either go for a 42" Plasma with or 32" LCD High Spec with HD, the latter being futureproof.

8. the_boxhead

the_boxhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    More Q's
    Is the PQ going to be worse with composite/plasma versus rf(coax)/small crt?

I'm afraid I don't really understand the last paragraph, I think that you're trying to tell me that I need a media box to run speakers, or I need a screen that has builtin speakers Am I close?

I really don't think having a second sky box is an option, the Mrs. doesn't like paying an additional subscription (yeah, I know it oly comes to about £1000 over the life of the telly)

thanks for your time,
    Box

9. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Do you want it

1- wall hung
    2- floor standing
    3- with pedestal(shelf stand)

10. the_boxhead

the_boxhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anybody know of a digital sender that will transmit RGB? All the one's I've seen since looking only transmit composite, and loop the rgb through.

ta,
    Box

11. the_boxhead

the_boxhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pedestal, at first, but moving to wall hung when I redecorate to chase the wall and hide the cables.

Box

12. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Philips video sender (and quite a few others as far as I can recall) can transmit RGB. Used to have it here but thick walls / wireless network caused problems.

13. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Panasonic TH42Pa50 (inc pedestal) under 1300 121 electronics
    LG 42 px11 1200 ""
    Hitachi 42pd5200H (HD ready) 1400 unbeatable.co.uk
    Hitachi 32??7200 LCD (HD ready) around 1300 ?
    New Samsungs look great but dunno about spec or pq. but within your budget

Don't get a Philips seems to be common advice here.

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    you will see a lot of defects in the PQ on a plasma than you would not on a small CRT `so you really need to feed tha plasma the best possible source, You could buy a sky box from Ebay and get a solus card giving you FTV and FTA channels (BBC ITV etc and use a video sender or RF for other channels

15. mh123

mh123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    I had a similar dilemma.

Eventually plumped for 37PW7 in the bedroom (we got nice 45 degree angled ceilings so "wall" mounted on there with all the gubbins fed from behind... nice!) plus a Freeview box for all the regular channels (£35) and a composite SCART video sender (£50) from Sky downstairs for the occasional non-Freeview channel viewing.

9 times out of 10 watch BBC1/2/3/4 via Freeview anyway so PQ great. 1 times out of 10 watch a movie or another sky channel not avail on freeview so 'suffer' composite - but to be honest with a 37" SD screen at 10 foot away you can hardly tell the difference! 'specially late at night with tired eyes...