Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

I hate you all...

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by sanderr2, Sep 14, 2005.

Tags:
  1. sanderr2

sanderr2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the beginning life was simple. A nice 32" Flatscreen Sony CRT nicely filling that unusable corner of the lounge. Then pregnancy strkes. The joy of impending fatherhood was soon augmented by my partner thinking that it would be nice to be able to watch TV in bed when she is no longer able to "unbeach" and make it to the lounge. Hell if this is as irrational as my pregnant partner gets, life is going to be tough. Simple I think, LCD prices are coming down so we can have a nice big cheap flatscreen in the bedroom and while we're at it we'll have Sky+ so that her indoors can watch the maternity channel while I read Harry Potter. A cursory inspection of the internet and stumbling across this forum revealed a deluge of information and opinion. Models not even featured on manufacturers websites a speciality (Samsung LE32R31S or the X version of the LE3241BD anyone?). Pandoras box has been well and truly opened and my dreams are plagued with the "HD ready" logo and whiile I'm at it I'd better get something that can handle progressive scan for watching DVDs. Oh and I'd better make sure I've got at least one HDMI port (I'll feel inadequate if I don't have one even though I'm not entirely sure what I can do with it). The bedroom's also about 12ft square so I'd better get something with reasonable sound quality as I won't be hooking up any external hi fi gear. Time was when I thought I'd get plenty of change from a grand. Now I can see that this was a laughable premise.

So I hate you all. A simple and supposedly pleasurable traditional male pasttime (shopping for gadgets) has been turned into a brain to custard exercise.

If anybody wants to help before I march into the nearest Comet and play "pin the tail on the TV set" please feel free.

Requirements are:
    32"
    HD ready (maybe I'll want to watch Sky HD whenever it arrives)
    Progressive scan (I think I need this for maximising DVD viewing pleasure, although I guess on an LCD all those dark scenes in Alien(s) aren't going to be very dark anyway)
    No tuner required (because I think I can get terrestrial channels and freeview via Sky, although with the other requirements I guess I'm going to get a tuner whether I like it or not)
    Reaonsble sound
    And I guess it would be nice to be able to be able to plug a next gen console in for those bed bound flu days when England aren't duelling with the Aussies on a cricket pitch.

So if anyone wants to help, please feel free. Otherwise goodbye and farewell. It's been emotional...

2. bonc

bonc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL

Buy you wife a nice bouquet of flowers instead, and be done. :thumbsup:

3. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check out the philips 9966, or even better the new sony Bravia line!!

4. Theriomophic

Theriomophic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    First off Congratulations on what will truly be the best thing ever to happen in your life. :clap:

I have just purchased the Samsung LE40R51B and must say that I am very impressed with the TV and cannot fault it at all. I would therefore recommend its smaller brother (no pun intended ;) ) the LE32R41B. These are excellent sets for the money.

Good luck in the future and I wish you and your family all the best.

Regards,
    T

5. luke_1983uk

luke_1983uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Yes Congratulations to you
    the choice for me would be to wait until the new toshiba 32 inch 32WLT58 should be out im told at the weekend. it should be on paper some lcd and it does all you ask and more it also has 2 hdmi ports aswell.
    so there is another option for you

6. Ramspeed

Ramspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    As a new father and a new owner of the new Sony Bravia V32 I'd have to say...the new Sony Bravia V32. Gobsmacking. Truly. Progressive DVD via component is significantly better than my 2005 Sony Wega CRT. Blacks are magnificent. Everything is perfect. It's the best LCD (indeed TV) I have ever seen and I checked out all of them. About £1500 online. My daughter's pretty darn cool too.

7. fatty 99

fatty 99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    get the sony bravia v32 your wife will love it.

8. sanderr2

sanderr2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you all for your kind words and contributions - and damn you all for giving me a dilemna worthy of that old scruples board game. Do I go for the cheaper and sensible option of the Samsung or indulge myself in the Sony and rack my brains for some acceptable way of informing my better half that the "Bugaboo Frog" mega 3-in-1 "pram come pushchair come carrycot" she's been dreaming about will have to be replaced by a third hand 20yr old McLaren baby buggy... All suggestions welcomed.

9. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    At last someone has purchased the 40" Samsung. What is it like, truly, what distance do you have to watch it from, is the pixelation pretty noticeable close up, and is the resolution dim compared with the smaller LCDs. Having looked for a year now for a good LCD I have found it a tortuous experience. The trouble with LCD technology is that the majority of panels are just to small for the average lounge i.e. 32" with larger panels either getting poor reviews or being eye wateringly expensive.

10. Smiffy 2

Smiffy 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Congratulations indeed.
    If you fancy a 14 & 16 year old to keep the young 'un company just ask :thumbsup:

Have just purchased the Samsung 32" Freeview version and have to say, I am really impressed with PQ.
    Still waiting for my new DVD player to arrive so don't know what it's like via component, but I took it out the box, plugged it in, pressed "autostore" and we were away.
    I really don't think there is anything to beat it for the price.
    Recommended.

11. sanderr2

sanderr2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you guys got the Bravia XBR (price on sony website $2699) or the KLVS32A10 which is also listed under the Bravia brand on the Sony website at $1999...

12. Theriomophic

Theriomophic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I sit approximately 9' away and cannot really notice any pixelation at all. There are sometimes issues with SKy+ on the lesser known channels. DVD playback is excellent and haven't tried the Xbox yet.

Hope this helps.

T

13. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,294
    Tell her it's not old, it's a "Classic". Just like a car.

14. scorpio26

scorpio26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks

Sanderr2; don't worry, the 'shopping for gadgets' thing will not be a problem from now on; you simply won't have the time. As for the brain turning to custard; that's perfect!! I'm convinced that is the only way to get through the next 21 years; I'm only 9 years through it (deep joy) so scouring forums for advice on a 32" LCD for my living room is not a luxury I have. "Daaaad, the telly's not working again"; "Daaaad, it's gone all glowing again"; "Daaaad, my Robot Wars Shunt has stopped working"; "Daaad........" I'm sure you get the picture.

Anyway, I'm sooooo glad you asked this question as it has helped me too. I'd like to go for an option with a tuner as I can then feed the 2nd Sky box output to a TV upstairs (for Cartoon Network!!!!) and at least be able to watch terrestial TV in the lounge. It also sounds useful for the day that the football knocks the sattelite dish 180 degrees; it's only a matter of time.

My DVD player only has s-video out. The quality of this has generally been ok when watching on my soon to expire 28" Sony CRT set. Presumably this won't be any worse when watching on an LCD set???

Also, is a 32" LCD set ok for watching the footy on Sky?

Then there is the extended warranty issue. Are they needed? How reliable are LCD sets?

I'm assuming that as I only have a standard Sky box (not Sky+) and my DVD player only has s-video out and my VCR connects through the Sky box, the Tosh 32WLT58 won't offer me anything more than the Tosh 32WL56 (apart from the tuner which the 56 doesn't have and the surround sound which my DVD player provides) Is this assumption correct?

Where can one buy the bravia V32? I searched on Google for uk retailers and couldn't find any?

Thanks for your help

15. dts borg

dts borg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I felt the same when I got my plasma the other day ;)

16. Theriomophic

Theriomophic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

17. thelawnet

thelawnet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I can guarantee to you that those 3-in-1 things will get far less use than the TV. They are rubbish . They sound great, so many features, but honestly with in 4 months you will hate its bulk and your wife will want a nice small folding Maclaren buggy.

Honestly - been there done that, got the pneumatic tyres that puncture, and never again. Pushchairs top out at £100ish. Anything more than that is *less* useful.

18. imh

imh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about the Hitachi 32"? Does everything you want, is available for somewhere between 1200 to 1300, has HDMI and a HDCP enabled DVI-I.

Had mine for a month now and as a result have become addicted to watching TV... :mad:

19. sanderr2

sanderr2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent, so that's all decided. A nice (cheap) Samsung 32" and a 3rd hand McLaren baby buggy for the nipper. Right, I'm off to find a couple of Phillipino hookers who will help "relieve" me of all that spare cash...