1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I hate silver, awayyyyyyy....

Discussion in 'TVs' started by SystemBlack, Jun 27, 2004.

1. SystemBlack

SystemBlack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder why most new TV's are silver. I hate silver, silver is so 70's. :mad: Do you think if I painted the case black it would invalidate the warranty? :lesson:

2. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Why do you hate silver ? it blends better than black. Black draws attention to itself and seems to suck the light out of a room.
    There was a time when black was the new silver and everyone just had to have black. Many folk who were around at that time despise silver as being old fashioned.
    I never really understood the draw of black for system components, I think it was done so manufacturers stood out in a sea of shiny silver, then everyone decided to jump on the bandwagon. Then there was a sea of faceless black, so, back to the silver.

Anyway, just had to be as passionate about finishes as you, just because I can :D

3. Gort

Gort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes it would

4. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Silver is soooo nice i think, looks expensive and luxurious.

5. Gort

Gort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    U could mask off the screen and spray paint the tv casing - you'd have to get the back off though if you wanted to paint the back as paint would get in through the vents and could cause damage.

Would be worth it though, you can get cheap spray-cans from Wilkinsons. I haven't done a tv yet but i've done ceiling fans, motorcycle parts, pc drives and skulls. It's quite easy to do.

You could have any color you like then. Best to prime first.

I recken it would be a good project to work on.

6. SystemBlack

SystemBlack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't need to do the back as a: I can't see it when I'm sitting down watching the tv itself and b: it's grey already. One thing to say though, it's a Sony and the back casing is made of a really flimsy cheapo plastic which flexes when you press it. My 20 year old Ferguson 20" is a lot stronger although the tube is a little tired, takes an age to warm up.

7. Mike S

Mike S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too have a very strong dislike for the continued predominance of silver TV's. I find that when watching the TV in a darkened room the silver surround of the TV is very distracting. Black surrounds disappear once the lights are low.

I agree that a large black TV is not a particularly attractive item of furniture but then very few CRT TV's are.

8. Crock

Crock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same problem. IMO almost all current TV sets look hideous. Maybe apart Panasonic's PD30. Most of the sets look too bulky for my eye.

But I am a cheapo and not sure if I want to pay the price they ask for a 32PD30... At least in Finland the prices are very high - the idea of ordering one from Germany becomes more tempting every day.

9. Mike S

Mike S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And that's one of the reasons I've just taken delivery of a 32" PD30 :) Apart from it's fine picture and attractive demanour (it fits into a space ever so slightly smaller than my old 28" Tish) I got it for a very reasonable price making it an offer my Barclaycard couldn't refuse.

The Toshiba with the slim black surround looks pretty classy too, don't know the model number though.

10. Struan

Struan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm with SystemBlack, etc on this one. While the case colour is hardly the most important thing, you think that given all the problems with modern TVs (poor PQ in many cases, set-up problems, lack of Scart sockets on anything other that the most expensive models etc. etc.) they could at least get the case colour correct! For me, a black case frames the picture during daytime viewing and, in doing so, seems to subjectively enhance the PQ - As MikeS said, in a darkened room, it disappears, thus leaving just the picture (relatively speaking) - For me at least, silver just draws attention to itself.

The JVC AV32T4 is supposed to be available in black, and it has 3 Scart sockets – haven't seen one in stores yet, though.