I hate renting.

Another reality is that when people are stuck in a massive bureaucracy they don't get to see the difference they make and that wears them down.

Securing is the act of making something more secure, basic English.
Aha gotcha :)

I was looking more at it as defined term in context of a product opposed to a language description of what one is doing.

Perhaps a bit more in the context of my own field for example the tokenisation of security backed assets.

It is still a made up word by marketing when there is a valid word already in existence.

£600/month in Belgravia?

No chance. edit: those are council rents though.

I may be about to annoy some people but the world has changed around these tenants and can see two options:
1. Let them stay there and accept the council could do more with the money that they would get
2. Demolish and use the money to benefit the little people living in the borough.

I can't see a win win scenario.

While I agree there needs to be more social housing, the taxpayer shouldn't be subsidising housing in one of the wealthiest areas of London.

How much is the council kicking in on top of that £600 as they don't own the building, they lease it.

When I see there's someone who is worth £9.3 billion, who hasn't done anything to earn a single penny of that, I feel like voting for Corbyn. We do need to look at our tax system and tax peoples assets not just their income. I'm don't know what Westminster Councils annual budget is but I'd be surprised if it was anywhere near a £1 billion.

Unfortunately it is the nature of the beast.
The beast being humans and many other animals.

I think that would apply to a lot of people’s wages, not just teachers.:)

Edit: I’d struggle to buy my house at today’s prices on the money I was earning when at work.:)

I think that would apply to a lot of people’s wages, not just teachers.:)

Edit: I’d struggle to buy my house at today’s prices on the money I was earning when at work.:)
Yup if I had to buy our home today on the open market, being on the same salary I was on 18 years ago, I couldn’t afford it.

This image cropped up on my Facebook yesterday and it sparked a bit of a debate about spending. I've posted it here because I remember that someone was talking about how they had spend wisely and go without luxuries why they were saving for their house.
FB_IMG_1567492069574.jpg

The debate we had was quite an interesting one with a couple of people who are in their early 20s. I'm in my late 30s and see things a bit differently.
They're both very firm that anything less than £150 a week left after necessities are paid means they can't live comfortably, I pointed out that most of the time I'm happy to get £150 for the month.
They also didn't like me pointing out that spending £230 a month on food and toiletries was probably excessive and utilities can be reduced if they spend some time hunting for a better deal.
So yeah, an interesting conversation.

When i was earning low wages, i got a house share. That immediately cut rent / utilities / council tax to a more manageable expense.

The minimum wage is just that. Want more, get a better job. Being long term at that level is not good.

The minimum wage is just that. Want more, get a better job

It's not that easy as parts of the UK are economically depressed (despite what the Tories claim about a booming economy), so the only work that's available is low income.

Of course, you do have choices:

1. Work more than one job, which means basically having no life other than earning money.
2. Retrain. How much will that cost? Can you do that and work at the same time?
3. Move to a more prosperous area. That's fine, but you're potentially socially isolated unless you have hobbies and interests outside the home, otherwise you're just working and have no life again.

It's just really dispiriting that everything in life is focused on ability to pay. I know that sounds simplistic, but that's how it seems. If you want to own then great, but why can't we have affordable rents as an option too?

You know (and I wouldn't wish this on anybody), I can't help feeling that a housing market crash is imminent.

I may be wrong and it will never happen, but all the elements are in place and I see little evidence that we have learnt any lessons from 12 years' ago.

You know (and I wouldn't wish this on anybody), I can't help feeling that a housing market crash is imminent.

I may be wrong and it will never happen, but all the elements are in place and I see little evidence that we have learnt any lessons from 12 years' ago.

As one of the “have nots” I’d welcome a crash, then the deposit my partner and I do have may be enough for us to get on the ladder.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom