I hate my PC!!

A

andyturner28

I am using my MCE 2005 PC as my only DVD scource and it is being a complete pain in the rectum. Every now and then the picture and sound keep freezing for about half a second and carrying on, which happens about every 5-10 seconds. And other times i get no sound at all when watching a DVD but i can listen to music in My Music. After switching it of from the case button it works perfectly for a couple of days untill it happens again. This is very annoying when you just want to sit down and watch a movie, and then have to waste 5 minuts for the bloody thing to boot up again, so dose anyone know what is causing this and a possible fix? Could it be a result of cheapo memory, as i have 1 1gb stick of unbranded memory?

Cheers,

Andy.

It sounds to me as though something installed on the pc is causing the problem, it may even be a display or other driver problem.

1 gb of memory should be ample. You could try updating or re installing your DVD playback software, or perhaps download a free DVD player from one of the many free software sites like download.com. You might try also defragmenting your C drive, and also ensure that you don't have too many applications going when you are watching a DVD as this could be using up your memory. If you pres Ctrl, alt, delete, it will show which applications are open. Hope this helps.

Mike

Check if you have hardware acceleration switched on in the DVD player sofrware.

Hi guy's.

I forgot to mention i am using Nvidia Platinum DVD decoder and an XFX 6800 GT and an Audigy 2 ZS, if they are relevent.
I always have everything else closed when watching DVD's, even the anti virus. I have also reinstalled the DVD softwar about 10 times in the last year and tried a free trial of Nvidia Pure DVD. Not sure if this is relevent but when i came home from work on Saturday after the PC had been on all day it was stuck on the blue screen of death, saying windows had suffered from a seariouse problem and had to close down. How can i find out what this problem was? Also how do i check the hardware acceleration status. I found this before but i have forgot where i saw it:suicide:

Cheers,

Andy.

You may have an overheating problem. Try cleaning the fan area which can get clogged with dust and dirt.

I don't think it is an overheating problem as all to temp's are well below their maximum. Overheating wouldn't cause DVD playback problems anyway.

Andy.

could be some process intermittently hogging your CPU. Try looking at the process list in task manager, sorted by CPU usage, while watching a DVD to see if something jumps to the top of the list when you get the jerks. Also try disabling your anti-virus and see if that makes a difference.

- Update your software/drivers to the latest versions available
- Run complete system scan for viruses and spyware
- Monitor your task manager during playback to see if CPU usage is spiking at any point

Having a lot of stuff loaded up at any point may cause this - especially if you system tray is clogged full of things you never need.

With my Creative card in my laptop, creative had a process which began maxing out the CPU after a couple of hours of use. This caused slowdown of all the other processes and there was no real way I could get rid of it. Caused stuttering during video playback and generally annoyed me.

If you use MS ProcessExplorer to monitor your processes, if you have this process running, it will show up as owned by Macrovision - what they have to do with a creative soundcard is beyond me.

But I stopped that service from starting in windows and it has been flawless since then.

I think you might have the same service installed with your creative stuff.

It might be the the dvd drive, Try copying a dvd to your hdd and playing it from there. See if that works fine. If its fine try a different dvd drive in your machine.

Pete

- Update your software/drivers to the latest versions available
- Run complete system scan for viruses and spyware
- Monitor your task manager during playback to see if CPU usage is spiking at any point

Having a lot of stuff loaded up at any point may cause this - especially if you system tray is clogged full of things you never need.

With my Creative card in my laptop, creative had a process which began maxing out the CPU after a couple of hours of use. This caused slowdown of all the other processes and there was no real way I could get rid of it. Caused stuttering during video playback and generally annoyed me.

If you use MS ProcessExplorer to monitor your processes, if you have this process running, it will show up as owned by Macrovision - what they have to do with a creative soundcard is beyond me.

But I stopped that service from starting in windows and it has been flawless since then.

I think you might have the same service installed with your creative stuff.

Thanks for that. It makes sence because everything seems to slow down the longer the PC is on for, and i sometimes have to restart before it will work properly. How do i find out what extra stuff is installed from the creative software. Is there somewhere i can download the driver alone without all the extra crap?

Uridium- I have completely neglected the motherboard driver and havn't updated since i built it over a year and a half ago. Can you recomend a good place to download? It is an Asus A8N SLI Deluxe NF4 board.

Pete T- I have 2 DVD drives, one a combi and one just a DVD RW and it dose it with both. Also i have a lot of DVD's copied to my HD and it is the same with them.

I plan on getting a couple of 500gb drives in the new year, so i might do a clean install on one of the new discs and see if that helps.

Thank's for all the advice so far,

Andy.

I am looking in Task manager now and there is one process called MsMpEng.exe which is ranging from 15 to 93%. Anyone know what this is. I don't want to stop it without knowing what it is for fear of causing more problems. Even system idle process keeps jumping up to the high 80's. Is this normal? I havn't tried it while playing a DVD yet, i will give that a go later.

Cheers,

Andy.

Andy, looks like MsMpEng.exe is the culprit. There has been a lot of problems with people running this. I think it is part of Windows Defender.
Put MsMpEng.exe in google and have a read, loads of problems with it.

My considered solution? Buy a Mac!! I did, never looked back....

Hmm, Whitstable eh?

Allan

Andy, looks like MsMpEng.exe is the culprit. There has been a lot of problems with people running this. I think it is part of Windows Defender.
Put MsMpEng.exe in google and have a read, loads of problems with it.

My considered solution? Buy a Mac!! I did, never looked back....

Hmm, Whitstable eh?

Allan

Hi Allan.

Ah a fellow Whitstable person. You as boared of the place as i am?

I have Windows Defender installed so that sounds about right. There dosn't seem to be a way of temperarilly disableing it while watching movies:mad: I will have a read up about it as you suggest.

I don't want a Mac because i am constantly upgrading the hardware all the time, which you can't do with a Mac. Also they are bloody expensive.

Cheers,

Andy.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom