1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I hate itunes!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Miyazaki, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Got a 1gig ipod shuffle today.

The shuffle is great, a really nice bit of kit. But i hate itunes!

It is no way near as intuitive as WMP10, and I really hate that it doesn't automatically sync with the music library I already have on my pc.

I also hate the way it has renamed all of the music in my library to the contributors of songs, so where as I had 1 outkast folder on my HD, I now have 6, one for each song contributor :mad:

It is going to take me ages to sort this mess out, bloody itunes!

Does the ipod shuffle work with windows media player? :lease:

2. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,203
    god i know your pain!! was a night mare to begin with becuase i had my songs arranged in folders to overcome this and keep the songs in folders rename the artists and albums in the track listings as the same name. that way it groups it together, but diesnt the shuffle just play it in random order anyway?

3. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    The shuffle does play in random order, but I hate that if I go into "my music" there are folders everywhere with just one song in, and it is a pain in the arse!

I did a system restore but that didnt do anything :(

I just realised it has also changed the artist of the song to the song contributor as well, so now instead of outkast's dracula's wedding by outkast, it is now by kelis.

It winds me up that this **** software doesn't mind changing the file names, but it won't list this in its own crappy library!

Agghhhh.

I feel sorry for mac users if all mac software is this bad! :suicide:

4. xanderforce

xanderforce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

You really have no idea....iTunes keeps folders organised so you don't have to. The iPod and iTunes database allows you to search those files however you want faster and easier than anything else on the market. If you really don't want it to do that tell the iTunes prefs not to organise your music folder.

As for that stupid quip about Mac software, it is typical for a Windows user so used to illogical software to be utterly unable to use and appreciate what is possibly the most well designed software in the industry.

5. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    There is a HUGE difference between organising my files, and completely ruining them and tearing albums song for song, and then putting each song into a separate file! I had the files organised how I wanted them, I don't want a separate file for each song, and I certainly don't want Itunes renaming all my songs either! :suicide:

itunes took an entire album, and decided it wasn't by bob marley, and renamed it to the charlie hunter quartet. I mean what the fudge!?! :mad:

I haven't used a mac, so that is why I made that remark. My brother however is a computer programmer, and absolutely abhors macs and mac software, so say that to him!

As for itunes searching my files fast, it doesn't even automatically find my music, even though I pointed it to "my music" unlike WMP which automatically adds in files as they are put on my pc.

If you don't agree that is fine, but there is no point resorting to insults! :rolleyes:

6. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    The main reason I got an ipod was because I previously had a sony netmd walkman, and hated the sony sonicstage software.

The itunes software is actually worse than sonicstage, so it really defeats the object of getting an ipod :rolleyes:

7. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,764
    I've never had a problem with iTunes, tell it which folder your music is in and it will add it - assuming it's in mp3 or aac format. Every media player I've used has ripped each track as a seperate file so I don't really know how you can rip an entire album as one file :confused:
    If you set the iTunes preferences up properly it just works.

8. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Maybe I haven't made that bit clear.

I have my music folders set up in seperate albums.

So say for instance, I have Outkast's Speakerboxxx in one folder, I open the folder to show the songs for that album.

Itunes has taken each song out of that orginal folder, and moved them to separate folders for each contributor.

So if I open the folder that previously contained speakerboxx, I now have an empty folder, and instead have several folders, each with one song in, with the song by the contributing artist in each. Itunes has also renamed the song, to match solely the contributing artist.

It is so frustrating! :(

9. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,764
    So is this a "various artists" type of album where each track is by a separate band ?

10. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    No, that's the thing, it is one album by one artist, but has contributing artists on it.

Windows Media Player doesn't have a problem with this, and recognises that the songs are by two people.

Itunes takes the name of the contibuting artist and changes the song file name, and puts the song in a seperate file.

Itunes has also changed loads of other albums, such as chemical brothers.

One song has noel gallagher singing on it, and itunes has changed it from being a chemical brothers album with noel gallagher singing a song on it, to the chemical brothers album having one track less, and I now have a separate noel gallagher folder with that one song on it.

So annoying.

11. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,764
    There is an option by the way in preferences which you can untick, which tells iTunes to keep the music folders and files organized (on the advanced tab) - so if you have this ticked, iTunes will organise the folders as it wants them. Because I always play my music through iTunes it doens't matter to me what folders they are in.

12. xanderforce

xanderforce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

My point is why are you concerned with how iTunes chooses to organise your music folder? It is irrelevant when you are using the iTunes browser as it is so easy, logical and powerful to use. It is also irrelevant for your iPod. When was the last time your iPod told you the filenames and directories before it played your favourite track?

I really don't see how it matters and how it is a problem!!

Whether your brother is a programmer who hates Macs or not is also irrelevant as it doesn't change the fact that Apple software really is quite special.

13. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    It is special in your opinion, that is what I was trying to say.

I want the files to be where they are because I share them across a network, and only use itunes on this computer for the ipod.

There are some little things I like about itunes, but overall it doesn't feel as good as WMP.

Also the fact it is renaming songs, makes it difficult to find the file in itunes and wmp, because it is now listed as a different artist :rolleyes:

14. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Can itunes retrieve song /album info from the net like WMP can? How do I do that if it can?

15. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,764
    Are you refering to Setting Sun on Dig Your Own Hole ? If so, it has put the whole of that album into 1 chemical brothers/Dig Your Own Hole folder and all tracks on that album are credited to chemical brothers.
    Edit - I was just about to ask if it was possible to re-rip and get iTunes to connect to download album info ?

16. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,764
    on the first tab of the Preferences (General) there is an option to connect to the internet when needed - if this is ticked it will get the album info for you.

17. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Thanks for the help i'll try that.

That was the album I was referring to, but it has changed the artist on "setting sun" to noel gallagher. I don't know why? :confused:

So if in itunes I search for chemical brothers, "setting sun" doesn't appear.

It appears that the updating I have done of my files with windows media player doesnt like itunes, and itunes has tried to change it, but it has just made things worse.

18. xanderforce

xanderforce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also legally share over my own network of Macs and PC's running 'iTunes Music Sharing'. Still works the same way, perfectly. You have to appreciate that with any software vendors technology there are bound to be issues when you mix and match with other software alas stick to iTunes and iPod, or use WMP with other devices.

I doubt you'll find a better all round experience following the latter option which is probably why Apple blew everybody else away when they entered the PC market.

19. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Maybe I am just more used to wmp.

Can I display itunes in the same way as wmp?

IE, have a left window displaying album artist, click on album in left pane, display album tracks in right pane?

I don't like the top to bottom view on itunes at all

20. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,764
    When I changed over from WMP to iTunes I bit the bullet and re-ripped about 250 CDs all over again. If you continue having problems it may be worth deleting the whole library and starting from scratch with all the preferences set to how you want them in iTunes - assuming you have the time/patience to do this !
    If you need any more help just ask :)

21. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Why dont apple do a apple media player?

Why not combine quicktime (which I think is great) with itunes like MS have.

I hate using loads of bits of software , where one will suffice.

I haven't got the time/inclination to re-rip all my cds, just so I can use an ipod shuffle, I have WMP on my desktop pc and don't have itunes on there so there isn't much point. But thanks.

I might just send the shuffle back and get another sony netmd, or something else.

22. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,764
    I have mine set up like this screenshot. You can't have them down the left hand side as that's for playlists, but you can enable them across the top
    [​IMG]

23. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    If I do that with mine track 5 of 11 doesnt exist in that list, and if I search for gallacher, it finds that one song.

Strange eh? :confused:

Thanks for all the help though John, you are a star! :clap:

24. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    It's certainly going that way with Video support now incorporated into iTunes (paving the way for a video iPod???) and Quicktime bundled with iTunes.

Personally I love iTunes. Before iTunes I used Winamp and that was useless for searching and categorising your Mp3 collection.

The fact that WMP ripped off iTunes tabbed interface (and somehow made it less intuitive) in its latest release shows how good iTunes is.

25. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,150
    I've got all this to look forward to- the Mrs' laptop and Ipod are lurking by my desk to be looked at by an existing user as thus far the Apple software has defied all attempts to connect the Ipod to it. It must be said that as an IRiver user, the much vaunted claims about the Ipod's superior operating system (for PC users at least) aren't making themselves immeadiately apparent.

And GG- if ITunes ever did that to my 32gb of stored music- Steve Jacob's would be wearing the Ipod like a suppository- and this one isn't a shuffle either.

26. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    So you can't find your Outkast albums? I don't see a problem here....... :confused:

27. Beobloke

Beobloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I don't have any problem finding my Outkast album - it's in my LP rack between 'N' and 'P'. :D

28. stealther

stealther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Sorry Games

But I am a big Itunes fan! :thumbsup:

Despite a few initial problems when I first installed it. I seem to remember it copied my whole libary into new folders meaning I had two copies of every song and when I tried to share the music on my network it copied them again. A bit annoying although it organised the music brilliantly for me and located some album info that Music Match had missed.
    Its a lot more stable than music match which I had been using for many years.
    I ve always avoided WMP as earlier versions were very frustrating and very limited in functionality.

My biggest beef with itunes is that I maintain my Music collection both at home and in the office for security and practicality purposes. It would be nice if i could just sync any new tunes Ive ripped on to my ipod and then sync at the office. :rolleyes:
    I have about 10G of music and only 6G on the ipod mini so if I want to change music whilst at work for the journey home I have to erase everything on there and copy the music again. :mad:

I know why apple dont allow this feature. But I pay for all of my music and I should be allowed to do what I want with it :mad:

29. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I don't like the way iTunes erases your ipod if you stil it into someone elses machine. That's why I use Jriver Media Player. It's like MCE but you can plug in ipods and other MP3 units without it erasing anything.

Richie.

30. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +510
    when you put an album in ready to be converted to mp3 or whatever it asks you if you want to download the album info.

never had a problem with itunes. I manage to use WMP and i-tunes with no problems.

Dal