I hate iTunes (iTunes view and album art)

Discussion in 'iPhone Forum' started by Triggaaar, Apr 18, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,191
    Issue 1), largely explained/solved by Matt below:
    I have spent a lot of time individually downloading the cover art for all of my albums and singles. I have saved the art as cover.jpg in the folder for each album. After starting iTunes, and adding the root folder to the iTunes Library, my whole collection gets added, without the art. Ok, so I figure I have to drag the cover for each album into iTunes. But when I do so, the cover only applies to the individual track selected, not the whole album. So when I sync my iPod, and play an album, the art only shows when the individual track, that I copied the artwork for, is playing. Reading the iTunes help, I understand I can select multiple songs, right click and select 'get info' then drag the art onto that screen, which will apply the art to each song (presumably taking up more space on the iPod). This however, is not an option for mixed artist albums
    EDIT - I see I can solve this using the list view, and sorting by album.

Issue 2)

There are 3 choices of view: 1)List View 2)Album View 3)Cover Flow View

The album view, and cover flow view (which would look great if it worked) do not work for mixed artist albums. They show each track from a mixed artist album as a separate album altogether (which looks particularly silly on cover flow view, where it looks like you have 20 albums that are all the same.

Question:
    Is there a way to set up mixed artist albums, so that the look correct in iTunes (ie, as 1 album)?

Thanks

2. MattZani

MattZani
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    if you highlight all the songs in an album, then drop the .jpg, it will go onto all the selected songs.

3. Member 79251

Member 79251
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,187
    Ahhh...I use 'folder.jpg' and this also shows the cover in xp when you switch on thumbnails. This also worked on my old xbmc! I have my album art at 600px x 600px as default.

I don't understand what you mean by mixed artist albums ? You mean complections as in 'now 89' and so on ?

The only one bit of software that I have found worked with itunes was media monkey.

Album Art is an ID3 tag that is just like artist and so on, it has an option to how its stored. This can be catarogised under undefined,front cover, back cover and so on. Itunes is a litte bit funny with album art as it likes to add this tag itself. Also album art can be either linked to or embedded into the mp3 file. This has more problems as its not a live update, meaning that if you link to the album art file then change it you would think the album art would chage in itunes. Thats right that don't work.

Hope this helps in some way !

4. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +938
    It can cover such compilations, however take Snow Patrol's - Eyes Open album. Track 8 "Set The Fire To The Third Bar" is performed by Martha Wainwright & Snow Patrol.

In this instance, certainly on mine, iTunes classes this as two separate albums because of the multiple artists on one track. It's a bit of a pain really.

I'm looking into this thread as I don't know how to recombine these into one album in iTunes.

KH

5. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    You need to use the tag "Album Artist" to link the songs to the same artist which works for the album and cover flow views. In the above case all songs on the album would have "Snow Patrol" as the "Album Artist" and "Martha Wainwright & Snow Patrol" (or whichever artists) in the Track 8 "Artist" tag. If you use third party editing tools the "Album Artist" tag in iTunes is actually "BAND".

6. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,191
    Presumably folder.jpg would not be picked up by iTunes either? - All of my music is from CDs, none from iTunes. When loading all the music into iTunes, it would be nice if iTunes could collect the art (if that worked with folder.jpg, I'd rename them).

Yes, that's what I meant.

7. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,191
    I assume that's a typo - you meant it CAN'T cover such compilations? If it can, could you tell me how please. Thanks (my iTunes classes a compilation album as many different albums when using album view, and cover flow view.

8. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I repeat.

You need to use the tag "Album Artist" to link the songs to the same artist which works for the album and cover flow views. In the above case all songs on the album would have "Snow Patrol" as the "Album Artist" and "Martha Wainwright & Snow Patrol" (or whichever artists) in the Track 8 "Artist" tag. If you use third party editing tools the "Album Artist" tag in iTunes is actually "BAND".

For your compilations "Album Artist" should be set to "Various Artists" or whatever you want so long as all the songs in the compilation have the same Album Artist tag entry. Coverflow / Album view will work just fine.

9. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,191
    Thanks. I guess I may need an extra tag editor. I'm using mp3tag, and I can edit artist, or album, but not "Album Artist"

EDIT - Ah - I can do that in iTunes. Bit of a pain to have to go through 1077 individual tracks, to set 'Album Artist' as various, but it least it works.

10. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Select all the tracks you want to change (using shift). Right click, Get info and change the Info for "Album Artist" to "Various" and wait; will leave all other tags alone.

11. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,191
    Thanks - I should have updated the thread to say I found that out, to save you replying. So I don't have to go through thousands of files individually.

I still hate iTunes though - I've been doing this for hours now.

12. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    It's cool to hate iTunes in some circles but I'm a bit of a fan; particularly using multiplugin to change the theme and enable foobar pass-through. Having said that it took a bit of effort to get all my tracks working the way I wanted but now I'm quite happy, other than the terrible memory usage that is.

13. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,191
    Ok, nearly there now, but I'm so tired, that not only is my vision failing, but I am typing this for the second time, as I just closed it by mistake :)

My prefered iTunes views are Album View, and Cover Flow View.
    How do you deal with multiple albums with the same name (eg Greatest Hits)? I presume you group the songs from one artist, but selecting 'get info' and entering info in the group box didn't help.

EDIT - I guess you use the same method as with compilations, and enter artist & album in AlbumArtist field. Sorted.

14. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +938
    Correct, typo. Apologies for any confusion. Hopefully with all the help here I'll be able to sort out a few of my iTunes anomalies as well :thumbsup:

KH

15. Paden

Paden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hopefully this not too far off tack :D
    Should it be possible to associate different artwork to different artists within a compilation?
    I seem to have run into a problem where I've put all my CD singles into one compilation called "Singles" but when I associate different artwork to different tracks by the same artist within this compilation the new artwork overwrites the existing :confused:
    Should this work?
    Cheers, Paul