1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I had to smile!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by witters, Jul 8, 2004.

1. witters

witters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    Just finished reading this month's What Hi-Fi review on mid range AV amps.

After all the hullaballoo they made about the Arcam AVR300 AND the Denon 3805, they both get beaten by the Yammy 2400 overall :rolleyes:

Must be something to do with the way they do their "reviews". i.e. "sound quality was really very good" or "CD replay was fine for an AV amp, but a good 59KG £2K pre/power would still beat it hands down" :D

What a bunch of muppets they are :smashin:

2. parrydave

parrydave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yep, did make "odd" reading!

The Arcam dropped a mark on Features (presumably due to lack of auto set-up). The closing comments rated it slightly above the Denon in performance, then the Yamaha wins! All with 5 stars.

To add to the confusion, elsewhere in the issue there was a review of Rotel £1.8k which closed by saying that they didn't think the Rotel was £500 better than the Arcam AVR300!

In WHFs defence, I think it was their review of standmount speakers in this issue, they say in the pre-amble that their comparisons are based on "performance per pound".

Maybe why the Yamaha topped the £300 more expensive arcam??

3. witters

witters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    Maybe :)

I always remember when the Denon AVR3802 was "reviewed". They sound it sounded great on 2 channel replay, gave it 5 stars and siad it was the best thing since sliced bread.

Two months later it was soundly "beaten" by the Sony 555 and was said to be "only averages with music"

Laughable.

Most amusing is the way they conduct their "tests". It's all the reviewers opinion with very little facts and figures re the actual performance. I also love the way they slag off anything reviewed in other hi-fi mags as being excellent!!

4. parrydave

parrydave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agreed.

Then they suggest systems/components etc at the back of mag (all that budget/mid/high range recommendation stuff they do?) built largely from kit they have hyped then ditched in preference of the next best thing.

Waiting to see what HiFi Choice have to say about the Arcam. They review it this month. Their 3805 review the other month was fairly favourable.

5. witters

witters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    Yes - me too, although Hi-Fi choice always reveiw things I can't afford :rolleyes:

I find Hi-Fi World as un-biased as anything.

6. parrydave

parrydave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I already bought the Arcam (hence my biased opinion).
    I am waiting for reviews to tell me I made the right choice!

I already have other arcam stuff including stereo amp, so for me it made sense to keep with them. Similar sounding kit = more wiring options. e.g. sharing speakers/power amps etc etc.

Back to WHF review:
    The Arcam lost a star on features, but it lets you bi-amp front speakers with unused rear effects channels (Denon doesn't - not sure about others), plus I think it is the only Amp in europe to support widescreen switching signals via its RGB video handling. Video switching isn't much use if your screen format info is lost. I may be wrong on this, but I'm sure I read it somewhere.

7. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,310
    89% and a big hearty thumbs up :smashin:. Liked the musicality and flexibility, said their sample had a volume control with two distinct steps in it that might have been a one off.

8. buzlightyear

buzlightyear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Dont forget that the Yammy also has THX select processing.

9. parrydave

parrydave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    very good point.
    I had forgotten that. :confused:

10. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I'm thinking of cancelling my subscription to What Hi-Fi. Their reviews, especially over the last 12 months or so, are really lowering in standards. There is no cohesion in their opinions, they change their mind from one month to the next and when stood next to magazines such as Home Cinema Choice, they really do look poor.

The only reason they still sell so many mags is because of the Richer Sounds Advert imho.

11. witters

witters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    I must say that if they base their outcomes on "performance per pound" then it is unfair to compare items that are not the same price.

I have noticed in the past that when reviewing CD players, for example, the models vary in price from £200 - £500. Hardly a fair comparison for the poor sod who costs £200 :D

12. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Being on the commercial end of reviews often finds me spitting teef while reading some of the absolute cack written by these fruits.

The one that really made me laugh was the DVI cable test in July's What Hifi......

13. marck

marck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I subscribe to Hifi News - I find their reviews are unbiased and well documented.

14. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what hi-fi has its place though - for an easy and short review they are fine. They base everything on value for money which generally means the jap brands always come out better....

most people (probably not on these forums though) want cheap and good.....which means mass market asian brands.....

15. RossC

RossC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well a dealer I know (and believe) once lent one of the magazines a set of speakers for review, and they came back two days later with the factory seals on the outer boxes still intact. Obvisouly not reviewed then......

Oh no, page of review saying they were better than another brand etc etc. And this was the manufacturers demo pair, hence the dealer lending them to the magazine, so no chance of them obtaining another pair.

Magazine reviews - always take with a (large) pinch of salt and make your own mind up based on your own ears/eyes experience IMHO.

16. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Well, any mag that support cables with idiotic price tags, while every electronics technician and studio technician will tell you that's all bogus, should not be trusted.
    They all play the game of emptying our pockets...
    If you really want a good laugh read what they have to say about the High End Scam!
    My Denon 3805 is sounding better every day and I don't think I'll go for an Arcam now.

Barend

17. jrpavel

jrpavel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They seem to have eased off the florid descriptions of exotic cables (see the tables at the back). They do, however, continue to give sound quality reviews to AV furniture bordering on the surreal.

A comparative review of a comparable bunch of receivers (see http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139847) put the Yamaha at the bottom of the pile. (It did not, however, rate the Arcam particularly highly, however.)

18. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I've had some darned angry mails when I doubted some aspects of Arcam in these forums...yeah that's how love works: It blurs your view and common sense!
    On mags:
    In all honesty, I never heard any difference between a CD player on a concrete slab and one on a wobbly table (as long as you put your baby elephant in the back yard).
    Likewise cable and strange biamping links- I think these guys would be shocked to death seeing the wiring & board tracks inside the pretty boxes...
    Every so-called fact can be argued:
    Biamping can give phase difference problems
    Monster cable can topple your speakers
    The elephant can step on the painfully construed glass & spikes hifi stand
    Barend

19. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Jrpavel or any other kind soul- could you please scan me the original article as I can't buy this mag in Holland.
    Thanks!
    Barend
    barendh@xs4all.nl :lease:

20. jrpavel

jrpavel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that you would be better off trying to purchase a copy from their web site.

21. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    But, pray, what's the url?
    www.hifinews.com is clearly some different magazine
    www.hifinews.co.uk does not exist...

Barend