I got the bug. Have you & how bad?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Dankeech, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Ok, I haven't seen a thread like this. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough, or the question hasn't been asked.

What stupid stories have you got about getting the hifi bug?

Did you splash out way more than you can afford?

Did you like something so much you bought a spare 'just in case'?

I've got a small example, but I'm betting there must be some great ones amongst the hard hifi people among you.

One small one for me is that I bought quite a nice NAD DVD player the other week, loved it, so bought the top of the range one within 1 week. I've not really got much despensible cash at the moment, but did it anyway at the expense of living the rest of the month on a budget lol.

Come on, there must be _way_ better stories than this.

Anyone get a divorce over a hifi yet?

:devil:

2. shahedz

shahedz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,045
    i had the hifi bug so bad that i used to spend the weekends working in Currys to fund uni but would apply for the maximum student loan to fund my AV addiction. need less to say i repeated a few exams at the end of the year as i was too busy watching movies on a projector in student digs rather than studying.

3. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,242
    I bought a spare 'just in case' Aaron No.3 power amp... one of my quickest decisions ever. :thumbsup:

4. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    i've had 4 different plasmas since January :)

5. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    :rotfl: Good start. Man, one thing repeating exams, but **Working In Curry's**.
    Wow, that's dedication lol.

Well, student with a projector, your pad must have been great!!

Pretty damn good story, and I think there's even better out there.

Got to say I'm a bit stuffed this month as am just about to buy a Loewe Aconda TV. Toast & marmite for me too this month lol.

Come one, anyone got any more stories ??

6. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Yes! A spare! You just ould not possibly be without that power amp for the time it takes to find one in your local or ebay.

Great! Rating: 'Eccentric'

:D

7. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299

There's some good ones coming out! Why on earth are you on your 4th plasma??

Didn't buy one from Tiny did you and got faulty replacements?

Are we talking a purchase and three upgrades??

8. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Bought a £500 sub woofer on a whim after a bad day at work (was going to get one eventually but the bad day at work put me over the edge!). To show it was not planned, as I do not drive, I had to taxi the sub back in it's box. But because the box was too damn big, couldn't fit in the back of a standard car, had to track down a black cab to get it back. Luckily it was in Superfi in the centre of Brum, so 10 mins after a call one turned up. Still got the sub over 6 years later :smashin:

Oh yeah, and I broke the cardinal rule of buying a TV, in my case a PWD8 plasma panel, I bought it unseen by my own eyes!! Wrong, and I'll never do it again, but hey, all the people on this forum can't all be wrong can they?!?! ;)

Cheers

Andy

9. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    :D my first venture was a Tiny!!!.(are you psychic?) :D ..but it was so awful (I knew nothing at the time but have learnt loads since) I got it refunded, bought a panny PW7, liked that so much a bought a panny pwd7 and moved the pw7 into the family room, then sold the PWD7 and upgraded to the PHD8...so still have 2

10. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    hehe. Can just imagine the bad day scowl, crossed with the kid-at-christmas grin. Must have looked kind of like the Shining lol.

Even a small sub box is big. The taxi driver must have freaked when he saw it!

I understand you buying the plasma on recommendation from here, but what's your reasoning?

Cheaper price, or could get it quicker. The latter'll earn you credit on this thread :smashin:

11. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    you don't need to see a panny 8 series before buying, it's gonna be great!

12. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    That's dedication to you. As for psychic; well, I have been told before lol.

Love the dedication on upgrading =]. where's the 2nd plasma then? the kitchen?

Take it you have a family room & a lounge.

Doesn't the family think it's a bit excessive?

That's the most plasma's per year I've heard of, except a couple of Tiny customers, that's why I asked. Watchdog site I think had complaints of people recieving multiple smashed ones...

13. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    I'll have to check it out. I Should have a Loewe Aconda or Vitros by weekend, but will upgrade to plasma etc in a couple of years....

14. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Keep em coming, I've got this thread subscribed. Going to see some corkers tomorrow I reckon.

I've got to get some shuteye as a bit of a late one last night. Damn Cube2:Hypercube, it wasn't that good anyway lol.

'night

15. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Too true, now I have seen it ;)

There was method to my madness based on reasoning of not needing full HD ready, wanting 42", having sound and tuner, so wanting plasma panel a not a TV. Then MAW offered a cool price for PWD7 which suckered me in, which after a botched delivery by DHL turned into a PWD8 on the next delivery.

So a bit of both really, good structured reasoning, matched with a great price which I could afford :thumbsup:

16. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    second one is in family room....and my family love them......even Mrs Mep! :)...by the way I did have 3 Tiny's before they finally relented and gave me a refund! but I'd moved on to the first Panny before the end of that sad saga! I've also had to duplicate surround sound and plasma stands and have been through several dvd players before settling on teh denon 2910...until HD come out!!

17. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Actually, I remember another thing I've done with the hifi bug.

I ordered the NAD T524 the other week and wanted it so bad, I drove to Coventry to get it and back. Took me a whole day as got caught in a 15-mile tailback after an accident on the M1 between Milton Keynes & Northampton.

Got lost on the ringroad too. That was one stressful day. Drank a pack of 4 redbull on the way back too as was tired from all the driving and getting lost lol.

Any more stories?

18. davesater1

davesater1
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Went to StereoStereo in Glasgow to collect my Arcam DV29 dvd player and came down the road with the dvd player AND a B&W asw800 sub. DOH!

19. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299

Ouch. That's the problem isn't it, the items practically sell themselves. It's like kid-in-a-sweetshop syndrome x10.

Audio shops are dangerous to your wallet, but pleasing on the eyes & ears...

20. stealther

stealther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Started off 6 years ago when a DVD player I was debating blowing half my Student loan on came down £200 overnight to just £300 so Bought that along with my first ever DVD Blade. A week later I spent the rest of my loan on a 5.1 system. I had to take a job at Sainsburys to pay my way thru Uni but to be honest all working did for me was allow me to get credit cards. Which is my only regret about the whole thing.

21. RichardG

RichardG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I wanted a new pair of hifi speakers to relegate some B&W 602s to surround duties, with a budget of about £600. Listened to LOADS of pairs and finally settled on some B&W CDM1NTs at about £700, then made the mistake of hearing the CDM7NTs at £1250 - double how much I wanted to spend, so bought 'em. DOH! :rotfl:

Got them home and they sounded TERRIBLE in my room - completely different to the dem room - WWWWAAAAAAYYYYYY too much flabby bass. So traded em in for some CDM9NTs with front firing ports and £1800 price tag.

So trebled my budget, but don't regret it for a second - they're 2 yrs old and just getting run in! :laugh:

(It still comes up in arguments when we need new wardrobes or a holiday and we can't afford what we want!)

RG

22. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Great one. It's interesting to see how many people will put themselves in bad financial situations, just to feed their eyes & ears.

23. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Wow. £600 to £1800, that's a bit od a budget increase to say the least!

Sounds like the other half isn't impressed.

Someone on the forums has a great sig of 'No Darling, It's been there all along...'

Maybe worth pointing how many pairs of shoes the other half has and how many times worn. Sure the speakers probably work out cheaper per hour of use lol.

Dan.

24. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    Was "ordered" to move my study downstairs to free up a bedroom. The downstairs room is better actually and I took it as an "opportunity" to create a "multi purpose" room - study / HiFi / Home Cinema.

I didn't have enough floor space for a standard TV so bought a projector - best 1K I've ever spent. But of course it needs a decent DVD player, I've bought 3 so far in the past 12 months... and I may as well buy that sub I've always promised myself to complete the "package"...

Throw in the leads etc and not much change from 2K.... but what a HC experience it is now! :D

But of course I've now rekindled "the bug".... hmm, new amp, speakers, HiDef in the wings... :suicide:

25. stu mcc

stu mcc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    When I was a student in 1975 I just had to have hifi, did all the research and decided to go to Lasky's in Northampton on the bus an hour away. Me and three housemates arrived at the bus station up went the cry '' they're open'' so we went for a pint, 11.20 a.m. At 4 ish after closing time we arrive in the shop all use the toilet several times blow my 150 quid and trudge out of the shop each bearing a large box, get back to the bus station and have just missed the 5.40 bus home. Never mind they're open again and we've got an hour to kill - more beer!

We managed to get on the 6.40 bus but 15 minutes on country roads with that much beer is a bit awkward so we all get off at the first village to find a toilet, me and my mate manage but the two girls won't so it's in the pub for their benefit - well we've got an hour to kill so......

Pile out of the pub at 8.00 get the next bus, manage to last two villages this time but have to get of at Yardley Gobion for a pee, oh look there's the Coffee Pot and we've got an hour........ We missed the 9.30 bus completely playing darts but were only about four miles from Stoney Stratford and have about 3 quid left between us so the landlord helpfully gets us a cab, how we got 4 peesed up students with large boxes in an Austin Maxi I'm still not sure but we got back safe, happy and bursting just before 11.00, set the amp, turntable and speakers up somehow and all passed out listening to the Allman Bros.

Best Saturday I ever had!

Stu.

26. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Lol, the pub crawl hifi binge. Stu, that's sounds like it was a real day/night to remember. What a fond memory, I wish I had one just like it. Then again, I was -3 in 1975 lol.

U'd like to think I'll create a hifi memory as great as this.

4 students & a hifi in an Austin Maxi lol.

May have been the world's first tetris game :smashin:

27. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    It's always the case isn't it. Not that you're not happy with what you've got, but that there's always something better out there, new technologies etc.

It's endless....

28. oxygenuk

oxygenuk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    ill take 1 plz :D

29. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    I've had the bug since the seventies myself but am quite sensible about it because I hate wasting money on something that doesnt cut the mustard so I bide my time until the right product comes along. I learnt my lesoon when I bought my first AV products 5 years ago - a dvd player for £350 . If I had waited 3 years I could've got a better one for £ 80. I also wasted £ 450 on an inadequate Denon 1800 amp which has since been replaced by an HK which I'm very happy with. As for displays?I wouldnt touch Plasmas with a barge pole due to their suspect longevity( big issue with me) and as for LCDs? - the jury is out! I shll give it another 2 - 3 years to see how things pan .

30. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    LGS, suspect longevity?........60,000 hours to half brightness isn't long enough? :)