I got stung by an unexpected 'tax' on an ebay purchase from a UK located seller

Yeah, but 75p of £3.75 is 20% 😉

That's interesting as I have a couple items in 'My Ebay' where it says one price there but when I open the auction page it shows a lower price. I've noticed this with a few Chinese seller auctions.

I'm not sure if I've done this link correctly but this one of the items: Ladies Winter Hooded Jackets Coats Casual Pockets Long Sleeve Overcoat Outwear | eBay

On the auction page, it shows the item at £17.09 but in My Ebay it's shows as £20.51 - the 20% difference.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Should I leave positive or negative feedback or no feedback for the seller?

The item is a fantastic bargain price and arrived quickly (so obviously not located abroad), I would buy again if I need more tape (as they are the cheapest) but the seller doesn't respond to emails, may have messed up the listing and I haven't even received any acknowledgement of the error l, let alone an apology.

What would you do?

I'd do nothing more.

That's interesting as I have a couple items in 'My Ebay' where it says one price there but when I open the auction page it shows a lower price. I've noticed this with a few Chinese seller auctions.

I'm not sure if I've done this link correctly but this one of the items: Ladies Winter Hooded Jackets Coats Casual Pockets Long Sleeve Overcoat Outwear | eBay

On the auction page, it shows the item at £17.09 but in My Ebay it's shows as £20.51 - the 20% difference.
The item is in Leicester.
Screenshot_2021-05-02-14-26-55-646_com.android.chrome.jpg

The seller appears to be in Hong Kong
Screenshot_2021-05-02-14-27-38-880_com.android.chrome.jpg

However, the registered business address is in China. All misleading so I would assume the price listed is not the price you would pay.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-05-02-14-27-20-066_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-05-02-14-27-20-066_com.android.chrome.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 29
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Added item to Watch List and higher price displays but when going to make purchase price drops back down again, and I'd expect to be paying that much.

Added item to Watch List and higher price displays but when going to make purchase price drops back down again, and I'd expect to be paying that much.
I'm wondering if someone goes to pay, they may be met with what happened to the OP and have an 'added tax' on their Paypal bill.

Perhaps Ebay knows where the item is shipping from/to but Paypal goes to pay the vendor, sees they are somewhere else and assume the item will be crossing a tax border?
This needs sorting if charges are being incorrectly applied.

I'm wondering if someone goes to pay, they may be met with what happened to the OP and have an 'added tax' on their Paypal bill.

Yes, me too now!

Perhaps Ebay knows where the item is shipping from/to but Paypal goes to pay the vendor, sees they are somewhere else and assume the item will be crossing a tax border?
This needs sorting if charges are being incorrectly applied.

Seems so. I'm sure it is being sorted by someone somewhere. we won't be the first to have encountered this issue.

PayPal should know that if the transaction originates from eBay that the law now says its eBay's responsibility to collect the tax.

Obviously the other oddity is that they say the item is already in the UK despite being a non-UK vendor... though it could be in a bonded warehouse so somewhere between the two legally.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom