1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I got my new Z3! Please help me sort some minor issues

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by PC_112, Jun 9, 2005.

1. PC_112

PC_112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello,

I installed my Z3 yesterday and it looks great but I have some minor "problems".

The first one is that when I set the overscan to 0 and when the DVD is playing ( a Pioneer 575A - I have no other input sources connected at the moment) I see a "broken" white line on top of the projected image. Anybody knows what that is and how it can be corrected while keeping the overscan at 0?

The other problem has to do with focus. The projector is mounted on the ceiling and I am using about 50% vertical lens shift and a bit of horizontal lens shift (maybe about 3-5%). Last night I noticed that I can't get the perfect focus at all places of the screen. If I get the bottom right perfect, the upper left is not perfect anymore. I guess this has to do with the lens shift. The vertical lens shift is inevitable. Would removing the horizontal lens shift make any differences?

And a general question: How do you deal with dust with ceiling mounted projectors? Do you have to go up there often and clean it? If yes how? With a vacuum cleaner?

And an unrelated question: I temporarily got a 4:3 screen because the shop didn't have the 16:9 I wanted. The image looks good on the 4:3 screen, the only thing is missing is the black bar on top. Will that bar make a difference? Should I bother replacing the 4:3 with the 16:9? (both are same brand/type and width)

Thanks

2. Geesus

Geesus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    I think you have to set your overscan as close to 0 as you can get, without those lines appearing - I had the same, but setting it to +2 cured all my ills.

Also I think uneven sharpness is doubly affected by horizontal and vertical shifting - it seems to be a cumulative thing, so If you can get one of them spot on, it will help a lot.

3. PC_112

PC_112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    What DVD player do you have? Is this a Pioneer only problem?

4. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I get this with some region 1 dvd's( namely spiderman 2 superbit and clone wars). I don't tend to get it with region 2 dvd's although it does happen on monsters inc.
    The reason the display devices overscan is to stop us from seeing these things.

5. PC_112

PC_112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I get it even when the Pioneer logo is showing, so its not a matter of region in my case. I can get rid of it by setting overscan to 1.

6. beecee

beecee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +325
    is your projector 'level'? i ceiling mounted mine and found it wasnt level, so was out of focus and alignment. after leveling it side to side and front to back these issues dissapeared.

are you projecting to a screen with black bars if so is the image aligned with the borders? using no keystone. this should tell you if your pj is square with the screen.