1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I got a TH-42PW5EX from Richer Sounds!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by JamieD, Dec 20, 2002.

1. JamieD

JamieD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I ordered a th-42pw5b and after three weeks of chasing a lost order they couriered a th-42pw5ex to me today.

I'm not sure what to do next. The E means it's a European import right? X means it's just a bare display with none of the consumer AV connections. Interestingly, just gone home for lunch and there is a courier box inside from Japan and they've bundled in an RCA terminal board (TY-42TM4ZB)

Are Richer Sounds being naughty? Would Panasonic UK have a fit? I presume they would honour a european warrenty, but you never know.

Hmmm.

HELP!

jamie

2. JamieD

JamieD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    So what's the difference between a B and an E warranty-wise...

well... I rang Panasonic UK and the lovely lady explained that the Pan-European warranty covers the European one (E) for repairs etc. for 12 months, but if I had a British one (B) then I'd be covered for a loan machine whilst it was being repaired. So, do I risk it?

Is a plasma in the hand worth two in the bush?

jamie

3. elmbeck

elmbeck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Warranties? WARRANTIES .... don't talk to me about Warranties.....

See my thread "Panasonic Service..."

4. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about taking out RS's own warranty for 5 years @ £250?
    If you don't use the warranty after 5 years they give you your money back!
    In my experience (wait for the stream of replies from those people who've had bad experiences!) Richer Sounds seem really good about exchanging items if you're not happy, so I would hope that would apply to warranty.....

Simon

5. JamieD

JamieD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Their regular extended warranty is excellent, if I bought a dvd player etc. there I'd buy it like a shot but the Plasma Warranty is different. I had a good long look at it in the shop when I was going thru' the process of buying my plasma. It's not the good one, it's just a regular one that covers you for repairs, you don't get your money back.

If you spend £3.5k on a telly, I don't think you need to bother with an extended warranty as UK consumer law is very handy in that regard. The law is that the goods have to last a 'resonable amount of time' and I'd doubt any court in the land would deny that a telly that expensive should last 10 years.

Last year Which? illustrated a case where an 18-month old £150 video recorder had conked out and yer Dixons etc. all refused to accept it until a judge pointed out it should last as least 5 years.

Jamie

6. roofer

roofer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    jamie mate i wouldnt order f all from richer

// edited by moderator // ...

you have paid hard earned money for your purchase, demand a refund or a uk spec model be warned ...

// edited by moderator // ...

7. JamieD

JamieD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It's been an odd experience and make no mistake, the central call centre have been excellent but the local shop have been atrocious, never returning calls/being any help whatsoever/ever answering the phone.

As for the warranty then whatever Panasonic say is irrelevant as my contract of sale is with Richer Sounds, so they are responsible to fix any problems and if they give me written confirmation that they will treat this plasma in the same way they'd treat a UK spec one then I'm tempted to keep it.

We'll see.

8. narabdela

narabdela

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I would agree. Nothing but good experiences with my local store. They have even replaced out of warranty DVD player for me F.O.C.

9. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Sorry to rain on your parade, but you can absolutely forget about that line of thinking.
    A manufacturer may replace a panel after expiry of initial warranty as a goodwill gesture ( happened with my Philips ) but one shouldn't rely on it.
    Without commenting on Richer Sounds in general, their plasma extended warranty offer is out of step with industry norms. The average premium to cover a panel is £600 for one extra year , £1200 for two extra years with few willing to cover risk for the full five years.
    In my opinion the fact that RS offer this warranty for £250 is a mistake which will burn their fingers, likewise John Lewis who offer the five year cover in the price. Interesting to see how long these two retailers have this approach.
    When I checked with Domestic & General ( probably the biggest insurer of this type ) , they were reluctant to quote a figure for five years due to high claims they are experiencing, the lady I spoke to passed comment JL and RS were " mad ".

I haven't bought an extended warranty and I'm not suggesting anyone should, but the Richer Sounds deal in particular looks very attractive, likewise John Lewis.

10. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,527
    JamieD

A couple of pointers:

01. The BX (UK) products are covered by an 'on-site' warranty plus the loan unit whilst the EX (Euro) products are covered by a Return to Manufacturer warranty - you have to cover the costs and the risks involved in returning the display to Panasonic UK.

02. Any BX display in for repair will take precedence over any EX models in for repair.

03. It may be worth a call to Panasonic UK to confirm this but on the previous 4 Series displays the Video cards supplied with the BX displays differed slightly from those supplied with EX displays - the BX displays had a slight mod to remedy a video processing error on the S-Video input.

Best regards

Joe

11. JamieD

JamieD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for this Joe. What I can't understand is why Panasonic are getting involved in warranty repairs. I didn't buy from Panasonic so any warranty repairs must be done with whom I bought the goods from, in this case Richer Sounds, and indeed it is up to them whether they courier the unit or I do.

Are Panasonic UK capable of answering this? The RCA terminal board (TY-42TM4ZB) they supplied, looks to be the series 4 board - judging from the model number. Is there a series 5 board?

Cheers!

Jamie

P.S. Talking to a guy in the next office to me about plasmas last week and he'd just returned from a pilgrimage to see Joe Fernand in his mountain eyrie in bonny Scotland. Joe managed to prise the dollar out of him for a Pio plasma - as is the way of the master :) Small world eh?

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,527
    JamieD

I'd be interested to find out where displays will be repaired and with what parts if they dont go back to Panasonic UK for service!

Ask your supplier about getting parts and service manuals for an EX model!

Yes a 'stealthy' 433MXE is heading South this AM - under full black wrap to keep the neighbours guessing.

As you say your first port of call 'in year one' is your supplier.

Panasonic Consumer UK should be able to confirm about the boards - I'll do a bit of digging myself.

Best regards

Joe