1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Got a pair of Servo15A's (X-30 Questions)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Mark Ward, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    After a couple of disappointments trying to source Servo15's on the Forum I finally managed to get hold of couple of Servo15a's.

These are a 600W version of the Servo15 I didn't actually know about until I saw these advertised.

I'd previously been warned not to buy a Servo15 without the X-30 controller so I put a "WANTED" ad. that turned into a little Do I need one?" debate.

From what I've read the X-30 allows you to change the phase and vary the crossover frequency. Someone suggested the BFD (Behringer Feedback Destroyer) would be a beteer bet for me.

So here goes....

My system is almost entirley for movies. I'm in a huge (12,500 cubic/ft) accoustically challenging (but great sounding) room. It is my intention to use the 2 Servo15s together. I have a Lexicon MC-1 with all speakers set to small (80).

I'm currently double stacking them in the left front corner.

Do I need an X-30? Do I need a BFD? Do they in anyway duplicate the same job? Can they be used together.

Having only just got the subs I've not yet worked out the best placement position but I will try and get another pair of the later to place 2 at the front and at the rear of the room.

Also.. I've put my Rel Strata II up for sale on the Forum. Should someone not buy it can this smaller sub be a further benefit to my system?

Thanks for any help/advice,

Mark.

2. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mark, as far as I am aware the 'a' on the servo-15 just means it is the model with an upgraded driver surround material but with the original 400w rms-1200w dynamic amplifier, feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

3. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I'd not heard of the Servo-15A until Mark mentioned it - does anyone have some more info about it? It's clearly some sort of secret black ops product as it isn't mentioned on Paradigm's website! :eek:

I've posted in some detail to the original thread in the Classified forum, but to give a quick recap: as far as I know there is nothing that the X.30 will do for you that your MC1 doesn't do already. The X.30 provides bass management for an analogue stereo signal. But if you've already got something performing bass management competently, then it seems to me to be redundant. But I probably don't know what I am talking about as usual. :)

4. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I'll have a closer look at them when I get home at lunchtime. I'd ring and ask the wife to have a quick look now but I didn't mention that I'd bought them and unbelievably she didn't spot them in there last night:D. The advert for them said:- Paradigm 600W subs" and when I rang the bloke he told me they are a 600W version of the Servo15.

I vaguely remember hearing something about these but couldn't recall. At the price I paid there's really not any problem if they do turn out to be 400W versions anyway:)

A google search comes up with nothing on a 600W Servo 15.

So... Current thinking is that X-30 probably not of use for me.

BFD still sounds very interesting though..

5. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark,
    The X-30 allows you to vary the phase of one sub with respect to the other. That is to say, you can adjust the phase of one sub relative to the other (useful if using them in a stereo pair) but not the phase of both subs relative to the absolute phase of the system. If you're double stacking them it may be useful, but you'll have to split the phase corrected output and feed it to both subs. Otherwise there's nothing on it that you will need.

Does the MC12 allow you to vary the phase of the subwoofer(s)?
    I don't think the BFD allows you to vary the phase, so you will have to run all speakers as small or suffer some bass cancellation.
    However the BFD is very useful for taming room modes.

6. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    do a search of nic rhodes and there's a wealth of information on the servo 15 and other subs, one post 'paradigm servo 15a covers the 'a' bit-posted on 4/9/2001 Iwould have posted a link to it but I don't know how.

7. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Like this:

Click here

8. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks, but I would appreciate instructions:)

9. CYRUStheVIRUS

CYRUStheVIRUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    MARK, you can still borrow my x30 and see if it makes a differance if you want (also seen paradigm advert and knew it had to be 400w servo's) p.s. how are your new 200w power amps.

10. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks, I may take you up on that at a later date. Have decided to experiment with positioning for now. Seems to be 2 schools of thought. Some say place both together to create a BIG sub effect and other say place them either side. Got LOTS of experimenting to do.
    They're doing fine covering the front 3 with a Biamped 400W RMS each. Your 985MKII packed up after less than a week. It's off being repaired right now. Not blaming you btw., just the luck of the draw the way these things work out. It worked fine for 4 or 5 days.

Mark.

11. CYRUStheVIRUS

CYRUStheVIRUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    you are joking, i had no trouble from it and have just got myself another one, hopefully something simple:(

12. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With dual servo15s and the MC-12, I would definitely experiment with the Bass Enhance feature on the Lex. A lot depends on how well you can position the subs in the room...but it can be a cool overall effect to experience. 400w with the big Paradigm kicks some serious butt, I wouldn't worry about the 400/600w issue in the least...although a call to the seller to clarify couldn't hurt.

The MC-12 does all sorts of phase tricks with the BE algorithms...and it allows you to set the delay for the sub...but I don't think it has a *phase* control for the subwoofer per se'.

Tom V.
    SVS

13. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi Tom

I have an MC-1 not an MC-12 but I will play around with the BE feature. As far as positioning goes I don't really know where to start. Right now they are stack one on top of the other in the front left corner with the idea of getting them to act as one sub. They do give some serious bass but I can't help feeling they are not best placed.

Where would you place 2 Servo15s in a huge room Tom?

Your bigger model SVS subs are in my future plans BTW, but for now I'm getting it in the neck from my other half for spending a stupid amount on equipment when we still have other major building work to do to the house:nono: :rolleyes:. I will be buying a BFD (Behringer Feedback Destroyer) to tame any room peaks as this seems to be a powerful tool in complex rooms.

Not in the least worried Tom, just curious. I've done some digging and have come to the conclusion that there is no such thing as a 600W version.

Thanks,

Mark.

14. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Re:-Knackered RMB-985MkII
    Sadly not joking. Don't know what's wrong yet as it's awaiting repair. As I said, worked fine fo a few days and the way it went wrong couldn't have been something you'd have known about.

Don't worry about it, just sell me that Servo15 of yours cheap and we'll call it quits;) :D

Mark.

15. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Okay. To find the URL (web address) of a specific thread on here, first do the search. (Search button up in the top right hand corner). When you have a list of threads, open the one you want by right-clicking on the link and choosing "Open In New Window" (I'm assuming you're using Internet Explorer). The new window will have the URL for the thread in its address field. (In fact you only need the bit between the beginning of the second "http://" and the end of the number that follows "thread_id".

I can't actually type exactly how to add the link to your post because if I do then it will add it as a link. :) You need to use "<url>" and "</url>" - except with square brackets - [] - and not angle brackets - <>. So if you want to add a link to this thread with the words "this is a link" then you would include: <url=http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70870>this is a link</url>" (again using [] rather than <>). And that comes out like this:

this is a link

Use the "Preview Reply" button to check you've got it right.

What do you mean this is off-topic?! ;)

16. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you put the two Servo's face to face- and reverse the phase on one. This should act like a dipole subwoofer?

17. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NicolasB, thanks for that.
    Nathan, this would cancel the subs out if face to face.

18. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    It's here

19. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  20. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Petrolhead,

That's a page all about the Servo 15 - but nowhere does it mention a "Servo 15A". It actually sounds as though there is in fact only one product available now - the 15A - but nowhere on Paradigm's site is it referred to by this name.

21. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    The only change between the 15 and 15a was the surround material, the old one didn't like tropical conditions (cumbria?). There has never been a 600w version though the amp is pokey.

I will perhaps write a bit on setting up for Mark as it will distil my own thinking on this as well.

Builders in next week.:clap:

22. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nic,
    Send some piccys or diagrams of what you're doing. I might be able to contribute with some useful comments.

23. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    NicholasB - Have you tried emailing Paradigm and asking about the 15A?

24. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I have come to the conclusion that there never was a 600W version.

That would be great, thanks. I'm unsure where to place them.

I have complete flexibility with this room, ususally you only have a few choices to choose between the best of.

Current options include:-

2 Double stacked in front left
    Front Left & Right outside the mains in the corners
    Front Left & Right inside the mains
    2 Front centre with Centre speaker on top.
    Front Left and Rear Right.

Anything there strike you as a good bet?

My screen is due to be installed Friday next week (Roland don't forget to send the clips!!!). If you find yourself in the south anytime soon call in, you could find it very useful as my room has similar challenges to those you will face.

You can also see how much space can be filled with modest amplification.

PM me if you need any details.

I have emailed them, yes. I couldn't do it from my account though as they've blocked freeserve user's IP range as a potential spam risk.

Will let all know,

Thanks,

Mark.

25. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Got a reply from Paradigm today:-
    So it would appear these are 400W Servo15A's after all.

As far as positioning...

I have a MASSIVE room and can't help feeling that I should be spreading the subs out. However to my ears they have permormed best whilst double stacked in 1 corner. Right now they're either side of the centre speaker inside the mains and they sound OK.

I've got my BFD now so I've got to make up my mind where these are going to sit. Front left double stacked it is I guess. If I can find another couple I'll most likely stick those to the rear of the room in the right rear corner.

Shame 'cos they LOOK better where they are.

Mark.

26. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Assuming they're both producing the same signal, the farther apart you have them, the smaller will be the area where the signals combine rather than cancel out (where there is constructive rather than destructive interference, to put it a little more technically).

27. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    If you are going to run your Servo-15's at seperate locations in the room it would make sense to give them one channel of the BFD each. As they will each producing their own unique room resonances, which I would have thought be able to filter out cleaner and easier with a dedicated channel.

Good luck with all your work.:smashin: