1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i got £1200 to spend on amp & cd player help!!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by twinny82, Aug 11, 2005.

1. twinny82

twinny82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i just had the chance to buy some quad 11L speaker fairly cheap from a mate i ork with they are only 6 month old and i got them for £220 anyway i now need an amp and cd player £1200 to spend altogether can any1 help as im new to all this??

2. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Twinny. £1200 can buy you a lot of hifi kit.

Quad 11s, I would look at the following amps second hand or ex-dem :

Primare A20 Mk II - £400
    Primare A30.1 Mk II - £700
    Unison Research Unico - £600
    Sugden A21a - £600

All will gel well with the Quad’s smoothe nature IMHO. Leaves you roughly £600, where I would spend £300 on a second hand active subwoofer to add to those speakers, this will transform the sound of the Quads (the Primares mentioned have pre-outs so you can run the sub off these connections very easily) – usual suspects from REL, MJA & Velodyne.

Leaves you roughly £300-400, If you have a DVD player already I would add a DAC (do as search of the hifi forum) these range in price from £100 - £2000 mainly, and can transform the sound of an existing disc spinner. £400 will also buy you a lot of CD or DVD player, so you can procure a reall interesting system for £1200, to suppliment the Quads.

Spend a bit of time researching what your about to do, as it is important to the shape of your future system.

3. stebbo

stebbo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    May I offer different advice from the esteemed Mr Ross.

Secondhand Arcam FMJ A22 and a Diva CD93. Should probably come in under budget.

Excellent company with a fine reputation for engineering excellence, which isnt that common in the audio industry.
    Both products are right out of the top drawer in terms of sound quality.

4. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Naaaaaaaaaa!!!! :D

Find some of the older Musical Fidelity amplification plus a Meridian 506 16 bit.

Old school technology in the days of no budget constraints...

5. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Excellent advice If I may say so. Stebbers. Although getting a sub on the 11s would be my first concern.

Yep Meridian players nice Rovers, but old MF amplification has a tendency to develop "dry" solder joints, more than any other brand of amplification Ive heard of in my time in hifi. X-Series onwards not bad, but even then Ive heard of a couple of X-A1 owners having this problem.

6. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Twinny, if you're "new to this", you probably shouldn't be spending this kind of money, as any mistakes you make will be expensive!

I'd buy some older MF & Meridian gear as Rover says, (like the old X-series, which holds its value quite well), and in the meantime research hi-fi more thoroughly before commiting serious amounts of money.

Rgds,
    DT

7. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I suspect the Unison or Sugden would sound incredible with the Quads

8. Bassmaster

Bassmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lucky you... I have about half of that. Anyway... first things first. British is the best HiFi out there... always has been, always will be. So my emphisis is, stick with British, it's the best. Obviosuly. Onto the subject of suggesting and recomending a Cd player and a amplifier. Seeing your kind of new to this, I recomend not spending all that on 'serious' Hifi in your circumstances. Though, if you do want to do that, I strongly suggest buying a pre-amp and a power-amp, this makes the sound of your system have the the most potential in sound quality, absolutley. So... that leaves me to suggest what manufacturers are worth the money. Well... indeed, I second the Musical fidelity and Meridian route. But, taking into account my pre-amp and power-amp recomendation, I strongly suggest the Linn Konektor Pre-amp from Sevenoaks special offer section, just under 600 quid. But... even though it's the same dimensions as 'classic' components, it's actually shorter in length, which certianly could make the system look 'odd' if using it with a classic component that has true classic dimensions. So... other than the Linn pre-amp, I would look into some Musical fidelity and Meridian second hand stuff. http://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/stockclearance/stockclearance.html http://www.badaweb.co.uk/showsearch.php?site=bada http://www.audio-excellence.co.uk/offers.html http://www.audio-t.co.uk/html/listings/index.php http://www.mountainsnow.co.uk/ http://www.moorgate.demon.co.uk/forsale.htm

9. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    Second hand: Naim all the way...pre and power combo approx £200, leaves enough for cdp and power supply. (also try www.hifiguy.co.uk)

new: arcam cd73 £400, PrimaLuna Prologue 1 £800

I have Quad 12L's which work well with arcam and naim and also valve amplification......but I've added a passive sub (wilmslow audio passive dual 12"cone in push-pull config.....£28 vgc second hand) to supplement the deeper bass though.

10. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

L:aughed ? I nearly wet ......

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Primare, Moon, Copeland, Densen, Classe, Parasound, Unison Research, Plinius.

:lease:

BTW there is no best kit anywhere in the world, never mind Britain.

11. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Deep in the bowels of sussex where the angloargies
    Ratings:
    +1,766
    How about a nogain Croft Vitale, Croft modified Leak stereo 20 a cheapy cd player sucj as Sony and a decent used DAC?

12. Bassmaster

Bassmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CJROss... you must know nothing considering laughing at the emphisis of British audio manufacture, for real. British audio manufacture and design is the best in the world... On the contrary, the best home cinama is British, Meridian and Chord Electronics!!! we've been doing it for the best part of 80 years! It's down to the fact that this country does alot of things that are the best in the world, simple. First of all it's down to certain coutrys circuitry design which adds character to the overall sound, ie the brashness of the Americans, elegance of the Scandanavians and the directness of the Germans. (the Germans have the best build quality in the world on the subject of audio components, quite simply, most manufacturing is designed and built like a tank over there) I never even said there was the best kit in the world... I said British was the best in audio manufacture and sound. On the subject of your POOR recomendations, (which is rather funny) I'll recomend some manufactures and show you what really British is all about. For example, speakers:- KEF, Quad, Harbeth, Spendor, Wilson Benesch, Linn and Meridian to name but a few. Amplifiers:- Arcam, Quad, Creek, Exposure, Audiolab, Sugden, Musical fidelity, Chord electronics and Meridian. Again... to name but a few. I must emphisise fully, that we do alot of things that are the best in the world... that's not me being arrogant, it's just the way this country has devolped it's status of producing sound, look at our engineering and inventions. Seriously.... don't be a fool and critisise British audio mate.

13. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,766
    There is the small matter of Mark Levinson ,Acoustic Research and Krell of course. Any of these would take Chord and Meridian to the cleaners

14. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,766
    Dont think any critiscisms were made just that to make sweeping statemnts like you made is absurd.

15. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Hmmmmmm ? Ive heard & owned plenty of kit from all around the globe including britain and I just disagree with your assertions that it’s the best. Hence the laughing. I also personally think you can buy better hifi electronics kit from say Japan at the same price you would pay for in the UK for British made hifi kit.

So Chord & Meridian do the best home cinema in the world now do they ? and have been doing so for 80 years ?

I don’t know how you can brand a whole countries musical pyche with one foul swoop, but you seem to be able to do that, ie American brashness, have you heard a Krell 400i or Bel Canto amp ? Elegance of Scandanavians, so Copeland, Primare, Densen are all elegant ? Germany for your info does not make the best manufactured hifi kit in relation to cost I hate to tell you, that is those big nasty japanese congolemerates, and even these days kit from china is pricing out european makers, If you want to quote the best manufacturers in Europe as having any gravitas with what they make in relation to build quality over cost, then the Italians are light years ahead of the german or british for that matter. Also show me build quality that beats Primare for example at the same cost and I’ll post you a chocolate kettle.

Oh dearry me. You come on here shouting about buying british kit as it’s the BEST in the world, I offer some alternatives, that quite frankly prove that british kit is not the best in the world for the reasons you believe. And then you start accusing me of saying my reccomendations are the best.

Earth to Bassmaster “There is no best” in audio sound terms or “pinnacle” of engineering, these days it’s a global franchise. Stop clnging onto some quaint notion of audio history in this country. Britain makes/made some fine kit, I own a Linn item myself, Ive owned MF & Tag kit. But its not the best, for example to my tastes the only amplification made in britain I would consider below £1000 is Sugden, yet Primare. Unison Research and a few other companies can do so to my tastes for less money, more power & less dosh. There is in that list above a lot of tat that is currently sold to my preferences, so to hold them all aloft as leaders or ….

Best ?

Don’t call me a fool mate after 25 posts here and one of the the daftest posts Ive seen regarding british audio quality and its position as “best” in the world.

I offered some alternatives, that are better/different to some people than the sweeping generalisation you made.

16. stebbo

stebbo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Acoustic Research and krell maybe, but NOT ML. Utter rubbish. In fact overpriced rubbish at that.

17. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Not to make any sweeping judgements on what sort of sound you want from a system but adding a sub (as CJROSS sugested) would be a good idea IMO. All this talk about graphic equalisers in the other thread leads me to think that you may be expecting the bass heavy sound that your mates system generates.

Depending on the size of your room you could go for a used Velodyne CHT-10 which would give you lots of "quality" bass for your money. To go with that possibly a used Arcam CD-72/3 (goes with anything pretty much) and a used Nad amp (plenty of power but some were highly regarded for quality). You should be able to pick those up for less than £900 then budget another £100 for some decent speaker stands and some budget cables to hook it all up.

That should blow your mates system out of the water!

18. twinny82

twinny82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    alot of ppl keep sayin im spendin to much money for just starting out but for me its only 2 weeks wages so its not really that much and another thing about the bass thats not my main interest i know i decent sub will always sort that its the treble and mid range that seem to stand out alot all the little background noises if u know what i mean dunno if iv explained that right :oops:

19. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Well, you've been given a lot of opinions and options best thing you can do now is get along to a Hi Fi shop and start listening. Most should be willing to offer a home loan so you can hear what it's going to sound like.
    If I were to do what you are planning i'd go for a cheap DVD player and a NOS DAC. Second hand Exposure 3010 Integrated amp and Power amp. Sounds very nice with Quad.
    As for British being best? Some of it is certainly world class. Linn is the only one that has never given me any problems. Everything else, Chord, Mitchell, Krell, Exposure, Rega, Naim, Densen. They've all had niggling problems. Much as I'd love to say British is the ultimate in reliabilty i'm a realist......

20. Bassmaster

Bassmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rossy.... Seems to me you can only offer critisism. On the issue of your first post in responce to mine, I said Meridian and Chord electronics was the best in home cinema, not for the last 80 years, I was mearly referring to the history of audio. Maybe i'll just have to say it again... for the hard of hearing. British is the best, maybe not for you... maybe not for some other people like you, But i'll stick with Meridian or Chord electronics for home cinema becuase I know it's the best. I'll also stick with Wilson Benesch, Linn, Meridian and Spendor for speakers. For stereo... I'll stick with Musical Fidelity, Sugden, Chord electronics, Linn and Meridian. The fact that you contradict yourself on making out that there isn't the best out there.... you DON'T say what is certianly nearly as good out there for either preference or sector, ie home cinema, stereo ect ect. You just critisise :rolleyes:.

21. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I wish I had heard all those brands equipment Bassmaster, your very lucky to have heard them all to be able to make constructive points on their performance. You must have a very good, sympathetic dealer.

22. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Hey Bassmaster, no wuckin furries. Your right Meridian & Chord make the best home cinema there is, that’s why everyone here has those brands as their home cinema kit. I apologise you are so right. It’s the bestest of the best, never bettered ever right my dad says so, yeah but no but yeah but yeah but no but yeah but no.

Once again :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

23. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,766
    Maybe if you made the statement that in your humble opinion British hi fi is better and then give sound reasons for giving that opinion instead of indulging in wild rhetoric we might take you a little more seriously.
    CRoss has been very helpful to a number of posters in here, not least myself, giving sound advice so his opinions carry rather more weight than yours

24. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chord would not be my first choice for AV - Lexicon, Meridian and many others were there first (Yamaha came up with the first Home Prologic decoder).

TAG McLaren were the leading edge for their all to brief appearance.

Anyway, the guy's got £1200 spondulics to spend! Help the man!

25. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    well it made me chuckle, never realised I had been so wrong for all these years. Well now I am at least enlightened ;)

ps wilson Benesch is the only make on the list I HAVEN'T owned ;)

26. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,766
    FAIR COMMENT!

27. Bassmaster

Bassmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bloody hell... I'd certianly go into depth about British circuitry and transistor design if you do so wish. If that makes it easier for you to undersatnd :rolleyes: I'm just not going to bother going down that route... it'll only make you crtisise even more with no audio specifications of your OWN! Let me guess... your the type of person to say that the Germans and the Danes don't make the best T.V's. Let me get this straight! I'll go into as much depth and detail of British circuitry design and build if you so want me to. On the contrary, I shouldn't have to! :eek:.

28. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Bassy who in particular are you talking to ? :zonked:

29. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chord discovered CNC machining and blue LEDs sold products.

I would never recommend their AV processor unless looks were the important factor

30. Bassmaster

Bassmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry... should of reffered to the great Mr. Ross for my last post :).