1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Notice: AVForums will be offline at 10pm for no longer than 30 minutes for scheduled maintenance. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes.
    Dismiss Notice

I give up.....

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by lentini, Oct 2, 2002.

1. lentini

lentini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +455
    Watching the Simpsons last night in 14:9 mode I noticed an inward bend in the top righthand corner. Thought it was my eyes so I cycled through all the modes and it seem to be there on WIDE. So I put on T2 and tried the THX calibration thingy. The bend is there all the time :confused:

1) IS this something that can be rectified in the Service menu?
    2) It seems this has occured overnight. Anyone know what could've caused it (I have a radiator about a foot away, that's the only thing it's close to).

Pictures

2. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Try the service menu

3. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, looks like something you'll be able to sort out from the service menu.

On another note, if your DVD player really is sitting directly on top of your amp (as it appears to be), that will be likely to cause you many more problems than the nearby radiator...

BTW, which model TV is it?

4. lentini

lentini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +455
    It's not an amp, it's my video.

...and my TV is a Sony 32LS60

5. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool :)

6. lentini

lentini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +455
  7. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You'll always get some sort of bending somewhere on a CRT. The geometry can never be perfect (as it is with plasma and LCD displays). You might be able to correct it in the service menu, but you might also create a bend elsewhere as a result. Such is the nature of these things. Anyway, if you know what you're doing, a fiddle can't hurt as you can always put things back to how they were. :)

8. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    That really is minimal bend, i have seen far, far worse. If i were you i would try to live with it. At least its at the side and there is now bowing anywhere.

9. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Trying to live with imperfections you've already noticed is nigh on impossible.

CRT geometry, whilst not absolutely perfect, CAN be almost perfect. I have a Panasonic 32PF10 which I've set up with perfect geometry (to the eye at least) and my old 36PF10 was equally simple to set up to that level.

Personally there's no way I'd be able to tolerate the geometry that lentini has shown in the photos. Any image with straight lines (walls, door frames etc.) to the right of the screen must look ridiculous.

10. lentini

lentini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +455
    Those pictures are not the greatest at showing the bends but when you look at the TV you can see they are WAY out.

I've had a play about and got the picture more or less perfect although there is still a slight dip (about 1/4 inch) in the bottom right hand corner.

I can live with that.

11. chung54

chung54
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Lentini,

I tried to sort out my picture on the 32LS60 I've got using the THX claibration thing on T2 but the bit where the circle is in 2 rectangles I lose the left hand side of the rectangles but otherwise everything else is perfect with the tests.
    Oh, got that IXOS cable from emprire direct through, didn't realise it would make such a noticable difference!! Used Squirrel Gods settings as well and well chuffed with the picture now :))