I Give It a Year Blu-ray Review & Comments

Tech News

Reaction score
British Rom-Coms have become something of an institution over the years, and this one was keenly anticipated. A shame then, that it fails to live up to the high standards we have come to expect.

Rafe Spall and Rose Byrne star as Josh and Nat, something of an odd couple. Their whirlwind romance has led to marriage after just seven months, and none of their friends think it has much future, hence the title - I Give it a Year. The phrase is muttered by Nat's older sister - Naomi (Minnie Driver) at the end of the wedding and sets the scene for the rest of the movie. The wedding is not going smoothly, what with the coughing, choking vicar and an incredibly tasteless best man's speech, but everyone tries to make the best of it.

Skip forward nine months and the story develops into a series of flashbacks, as Nat and Josh discuss their marriage with relationship counsellor Linda (Olivia Colman). It is soon clear that the first nine months have not...

Read the full review...

Last edited by a moderator:
I caught this through Love Film after chuckling a little at the trailer (which you should avoid, as it gives away some of the best bits), and it came as a complete, incredibly funny surprise to me.

On the face of it, it's just another RomCom-to-be-avoided, but shortly after it begins and Stephen Marchant's legendary Best Man speech hits the screen, I realised that the film was going to be so much more.

Written by Dan Mazer who co-wrote Borat, it actively alienates the RomCom crowd it's aimed at by suggesting that concept of True Love doesn't necessarily conquer all, and that sometimes it's just ridiculous to carry on when clearly two people don't really enjoy each others' company.

Mainly, though, there were 2 or 3 scenes that nearly had me in tears, which hasn't really happened in cinema for me for I don't know how long. (Caution: one of those scenes was described by a review as "Awkward and Painfully Unfunny", so your mileage may vary.)

It's an 8/10 for me.

And the digital photo frame scene? Come on. If you don't find that funny, you're off my Christmas Card list!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom