I Fudged that up big time , Didn't I

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by raduv1, Jul 15, 2019.

1. raduv1

raduv1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,793
    As we live in a world where it seems no one is willing to fess up to making a mistake , owning up or refusing to accept it .

Well let's get them fudge ups out there , from the Opps to the got away with it to everything inbetween .

I have a couple, the first was a fudge up I had no choice to own up to.

Was remodelling out bathroom , floor up laying new copper pipe work . Standing legs apart on the joists while soldering pipe work in place . Foot slips , goes through the ceiling and kicks me wife in the head in the kitchen below. A fudge up I could not get out of.

Ah , this is naughty .

My girlfriend ( now wife ) put her car on my drive on my suggestion whilst learning to drive as was being broken into where she was parking it .

She was living with here parents back then and I was being the responsible boyfriend .

Problem is I forgot it was on the drive one night and reversed into it . My car was fine , her car was not , as such I put her car on the road and made an excuse for doing so. I then told her someone had bumped it . So insurance claim and sorted :smashin:. I'm such a sh*t , still married though :D.

• Funny Funny x 12
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  2. mikeysthoughts

mikeysthoughts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +377
    My first job out of university, I worked in recruitment. I sent the CV of a person that worked at RBS (bank) to their manager, explaining that they were looking for a new job away from RBS...

...immediately explained what I'd done to my manager and it turns out this happens more than you would expect.

Obviously it wasn't deliberate, but one of our KPIs was to send a new CV to as many managers as possible and the manager was inadvertently included in the distribution.

3. Hixs

Hixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,254
    I cocked up a number of times when I worked in a food factory. Anything from dumping a half ton of product onto the floor (very common given the pot holes), breaking multi-million pound equipment to cocking up the production plan (I was floor supervisor by this point), so multiple orders were not fulfilled (20k fine per order).

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Dony

Dony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,900
    Way back when I was still at school I had a week's work placement with an insurance brokers.
    On the 1st day a man came in to sort out his car insurance and I brought him through the back to the bosses office. A short time later a lady came in and said she'd like to see her husband who'd just been brought in.

I led her through to the back reassuring her that her husband was chatting to the boss in his office. Then hers tears started.
    I didn't realise at the time, but the insurance brokers also doubled up as the local undertakers. :facepalm:

• Wow Wow x 10
    • Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. dmpzsn

dmpzsn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +478
    Very current one, I'm supposed to phone my passengers the night before to let them know that I'm picking them up and at what time. Today I've got three passengers from various towns and rang two yesterday afternoon meaning to ring the third in the evening, at 9.45 I realised I'd forgotten to ring them and as I start at 7.30 this morning I'm not going to be able to ring until around 8.45. Will have to apologise and hope they're not to worried.:facepalm:

Good thing is it doesn't happen very often, once every few years. :)

6. reiteration

reiteration
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,380
    I worked in a big kitchen once - and was boiling a big vat of potatoes...I let them cook to long and when I opened the tap at the bottom (to drain the water) - about 1/2 of the potatoes washed away too... :D

7. Naaktgeboren

Naaktgeboren
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,831
    One always springs to mind :D 10 odd years ago we were advertising for a position which needed somebody with an amazing amount of experience and technical ability, these people are like gold dust and can command a huge salary. Sometimes we were lucky to get one 'gold' candidate although on this occasion we got two. There was a group of 6 people who were shortlisted for the interview, I practically begged the operations manager to take on both of the top candidates as the position is so hard to fill although at that time there simply wasn't enough money in the budget.

These guys went through 2 interviews along with a day of on site tests to check for competence, once again, the top 2 guys were 100% better than the other 4. I sat in with my boss and a few operations guys on the debrief, we then discussed the candidates (out of the 2 guys in all honesty) and eventually decided on the guy we wanted.

Next morning, I had an email from HR, there was a delay in making an offer as the lady dealing had gone into labour that evening, this made me feel nervous so I phoned them and told them I'd make the offer because we wanted the guy tied up QUICK, HR were happy and passed me relevant paperwork and this is where EVERYTHING got fudgeed up :D

I have no HR experience whatsoever, I mean, how hard can it really be?

I rather stupidly decided to tell the people that hadn't got the job first, running through the list back to front thanking them for their time and on occasion giving feedback , I got to number 2 who told me it was a shame as he was weighing up another offer although fancied working for us. I then phoned number 1 congratulating him and offering him the position and he turned it down!!!!! :( :(

I can still remember that feeling of standing in front of my boss who literally 10 minutes later nervously asked me if we'd tied him up..... That was a discussion :D :D

• Funny Funny x 12
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. tommitch

tommitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +895
    I laboured for my dad on a particular job, and we hung some incredibly expensive custom printed wallpaper up for a client...upside down! :D

9. 494930

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,484
    I once stripped an engine due to piston failure. On this particular engine there's a plastic water jacket that surrounds the cylinders, I carefully set the fragile jacket on the ramp leg to ensure I don't accidentally damage it (see where this is going?). A day or two later and the engine is rebuilt and refitted to the car, I go to climb in to start it for the first time and that's when I see the jacket still sitting there :facepalm:. Had to rip the thing out and strip about 90% of it down again.

• Like Like x 2
    • Wow Wow x 1
    • List
  10. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28,888
    All this talk of cars and hitting things reminds me of a few years ago and I was with my mate who was driving through Paris in a Fiat Uno. We went through a tunnel and a Mercedes clipped us and crashed. My mate wouldn't stop but you should have seen how much commotion there was behind.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. dmpzsn

dmpzsn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +478
    Managed to get hold of my passenger at 9.00 in the end as my first passenger was late, apologised and admitted I forgotten, they were fine. Twenty minutes later my co ordinator rang and said the passenger had contacted patient transport (as I'd told them to do the first time I met them) that she hadn't been contacted by a driver, I told my co-ordinator I'd spoken to her and she was fine, and yes I admitted I'd forgotten.

Still asked to take a trainee out though so all good.:clap::laugh:

12. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,926
    Many years ago as a student, I used to park in a side street about 100 yards from the university. There was room for just 2 cars and it was normally my old Saab 99 Turbo and a Volvo 340 that got there early enough.

One day, I arrived and the other driver had parked across both spaces. I thought no problem, I will just shunt the car forward a little, after all both cars have big bumpers, there won't be any damage...

It was all going well until the front wheel of the Volvo rubbed against the kerb and spun the wheel around, smashing the crook lock against the windscreen and cracking it...

Funnily enough I parked somewhere else that day!

13. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,933
    We were having our lunch in the our fire station, we had to make it ourselves as the cook, Mrs Jones, was off ill. Our station officer was with us as the outside line rang. I picked up, ''Hello this is Mrs Jones' daughter, I thought you like to know that my father has just passed away.'' I made all the usual I'm so sorry and said I'd pass the news on.

Jack has died, I said. Everyone looked surprised. We had a chat and the station officer decided we all chip in for flowers and he would take them down and offer our sympathies.

Hour or so later he returned, he looked straight at me and said ''Gibbsy you b*******! Jacks alive and well''. Bella (Mrs Jones) opened the door and though it was lovely that the boys had bought her flowers just because she was ill, guiding him into the kitchen there was her husband Jack having a cup of tea.

Then one of the lads off another watch came in and asked had we heard the news that Mr Jones who lived in the house next to the station, had died. Nice old chap everyone knew him. I had the right name, just the wrong Mr Jones. Easily done in Wales. Opps.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
    • List
  14. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,734
    Looking for my first graduate job in 1985, I turned down an offer from an electronic communications company.

I was worried it was too small and could not offer decent career development as I would have been only their 20th employee.

The company, Racal Voda, who a few years later became Vodafone.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Wow Wow x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. Derek S-H

Derek S-H
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,988
    ^^^^
    :facepalm:
    ;)
    Hindsight's a wonderful thing, Nigel, they may have disappeared off the face of the Earth and you would've been out of a job.

16. BT Bob

BT Bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,244
    i once managed to unplug the cable feeding a live PSU in a LAN-Switch, believing it had a redundant supply, only to find that the feeds to both PSUs were connected to the same mains supply.

Sadly, it was a fully-populated Cisco 9-slot chassis with 7 x 48-port line cards.

Luckily, I had warned the customer of the risk of playing with the PSUs in their LAN switches during normal office-hours.

The IT manager was very understanding.... ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. alphaomega16

alphaomega16
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,833
    Took me way too long to clock onto that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,906
    When I worked for Renault I had to order a new Renault Master engine, to the tune of £3000.
    I was in charge of all the stock ordering...
    You'd have thought that the little french dude in the factory would have received my order and thought "mange tout, that don't seem right, I'd better double check that".
    But no, he sent out 10 of the engine's in a lorry instead of 01 of them...

As a young PC on my response team I was responding to a call of a well known car thief who was breaking in to a red fiesta at that moment in time.
    I go hairing down there and as I get there I see the red fiesta about to pull out on the road onto the road I was on. With a bit of expert driving I managed to get in front, block him in and force him to stop.
    I'm out my car, round to the drivers side of the fiesta and I notice the drivers window is down or missing and I grab him and somehow managed to yank him out of the car through the window, on to his front and in cuffs behind his back in one move worthy of a lethal weapon movie.
    Then I roll him over and see he is definitely not the car thief...

Just some poor bloke coming from that road in his own red fiesta.... Dum de Dum De Dum...

Unfortunately I have many more... Think I'll save them for the book...

• Funny Funny x 12
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  19. Chillie6

Chillie6
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,469
    That’s not unusual:D

20. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,933
    Oh dear me.:laugh:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  21. TerFar

TerFar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    A long time ago when I was a comms tech in the RAF, I was posted to a Tactical Signals Unit. We went off for a weeks' treking on Dartmoor.
    On the day it was our groups turn to act as camp domestics, I was volunteer chef. The mess setup was 5 joined up 12x12 tents with trestle tables down the centre and benches either side to seat around 40 of us.
    The stove was an ancient petrol burner. It sat in the ground just outside one end of the tent with a trench dug back about 6' long into the tent with steel hotplates lining it. The petrol burner shot burning petrol down the trench like a flame thrower heating up the steel plates.
    Well it was an accident waiting to happen. It ran out of fuel! I picked up a full jerry can (5 gallons) of petrol and started refilling the tank. Suddely, the jerry can burped and the controlled trickle of petrol surged and splashed onto the still hot burner. It spontaneously ignited and a miniature flame licked back up the splash into the still almost full jerry can. I immediately stopped pouring and turned round to grab a foam fire extinguisher intending to push the nozzle into the jerry to fill the jerry can with foam.
    Unfortunately, my mate was even quicker! He saw the burner had some flames, so he grabbed the jerry can (no flames showing yet) and ran backwards (into the mess tent) not realising the jerry can was alight. Just as he got to the centre of the mess, the Jerry can started shooting flames out of the spout. He dropped the jerry can which fell on its side spilling burning petrol out of its spout.
    Have you ever witnessed burning petrol? Be assured, it's almost like a slow motion bomb exploding. Eight fire extinguishers and 8 minutes later, all that remained of the mess tent was a twisted steel frame with a few flaps of canvas smoldering in the breeze.
    Everything was totalled. You'd barely guess that there had been trestles, benches and a weeks compo rations in the mess. Fortunately, no one was injured. Everyone got out quickly as it had been fine weather, so both ends and a coupke of sides of the tents had been raised open.
    I got off scott free because we argued that none of us had received any training, nor had we ever seen those petrol stoves before. A squeaky escape!

• Wow Wow x 5
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • List
  22. tommouk

tommouk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Did my work experience with a BT computer department, before it was know as IT. Engineers working on the air conditioning for the computer hall (mainframes, Google it) tripped the power and everything started overheating including the local 999 server. My boss said shut down anything non essential to reduce the heat build up. So quick as a flash I crashed the standby mainframe feeling very proud of myself. I can still remember each person in turn looking at me as it soon became apparent I had shut down the live system.....

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  23. tommouk

tommouk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    A year later now working in the network team, I formatted a floppy disk drive using the pc next to me. Trouble was under MS-DOS I had forgotten to change to a: before the format command and wiped out the network management console for the whole pc network. Still remember the exact words my boss used, rhymed with "you hunt"

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  24. Rog69

Rog69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,331
    Back in the early 90's I worked as a service engineer fixing amusement machines, most of them located in pubs. I had to visit a pub / restaurant one Saturday afternoon to replace a PCB in a fruit machine and to fit a new battery in the pool table (see attached for what a pool table battery looks like). In my haste to get to my next job I accidentally left the PCB and the pool table battery on the floor behind the fruit machine, they looked exactly like a bomb.

A customer spotted it and the whole place had to be evacuated. Ooops.

proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg

25. Naaktgeboren

Naaktgeboren
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,831
    A pool table battery? What do they need power for exactly? The ones I've seen dispense the balls once you push the coin in (mechanical)??

26. Rog69

Rog69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,331
    Some of them had electronic coin mechs and motorised ball trays to dispense the balls.

27. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,734
    I definitely used some where it is just a coin slot rather than a slider tray and then you get a whirring noise before the balls are dropped.

Cheers,

Nigel

28. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,949
    Quite possibly down to @nheather ... and we'd have no Vodafone today :rotfl:

29. Doug the D

Doug the D
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,215
    When I was in the military, we used 2 types of push-up masts for building antennas with. One type was made by a company called Clarke, the other was Racal. The Racals were much preferred, as they had you pushed up a 1 metre section, then you'd push a clamp round and then carry on with the next one, really easy to use. The Clarke ones had holes in the mast sections, that you had to line up and push a pin through, a right PITA.

I've never seen the name Racal since then...until now.

30. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,734
    I did a degree in Electronics - back in 1985 when I graduated Racal was one of the main employers that you looked at - split into lots of different companies, some pretty big, some small start ups like Racal Voda. Big Racal site in Crawley when I moved to West Sussex in 1995 - but they were since bought out by French company Thompson who later became Thales.

Cheers,

Nigel