I found an issue with the Sony A9G/AG9 remote (and potentially affects other TVs that share the same remote)

Can you replicate the issues I am describing using the steps I outlined?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

floppybacon89

Novice Member
Hi everyone,

I just joined AV forums today because I'd like to share what I may have discovered in regards to the remote that came with the A9G and how it affects the TV. The originally posted the issue on Reddit in r/OLED and r/Bravia and I'd like to share it here as well to get more exposure for the issue and see if anyone else is having the same issue as me. I will be talking to Sony on Monday when their service center opens tomorrow. Anyway, below is the issue and I hope I can help someone else that's having similar issues identify the cause.

Ever since I bought the Sony 55” A9G a few days ago (HK/APAC version, Android 8.0, version 6.2550.0328HKA) I noticed that there are some video stuttering issues whenever I am playing 4K content on streaming apps AND after pressing buttons (pause, volume up/down, etc.) on the physical remote (model RMF-TX600P and FW Version: 19.01.01.021). The symptoms of this issue include:
  • Youtube: the video jumps a sec or so when you press physical keys on the remote
  • Netflix: when pausing, the video keeps playing for a half second or so but the sound cuts out then pauses. Then, when you press play, the video will jump 1s or 2s worth of frames really fast then will resume playing normally.
  • Disney+: When you press a button the stream will suddenly end with error code 83
  • Stan: When you press a button the stream will end suddenly as well
How to replicate the issues above:
  1. The remote in use must be the remote that came with you A9G. The model is RMF-TX600P for those that bought the A9G in Asia.
  2. The remote must be paired to the TV via Bluetooth. If pressing the mic/Google Assistant button works, then it is paired.
  3. The stream quality must be 4K. Anything below 4K will not replicate the issues above.
  4. Once the video is in 4K wait at least a minute or two before pressing any buttons. The longer the wait, the more severe the issue will be (especially in Netflix). When I say pressing buttons I mean pausing or adjusting volume (esentially interacting with the TV that will invoke a change on the screen).
How do I know that it’s an issue with the remote and not the TV?

I borrowed my friend’s A8G remote (which is different from the A9G) and paired it with my A9G via bluetooth and it worked flawlessly. In addition to that I used the Android TV App on both iOS and Android to pause/unpause/change volume and none of the issues above happened.

Is there a fix?

At the moment, I can’t think of a fix. I tried to update the remote software but it already has the latest software. At this point, I really hope that a future FW update will fix this issue and that it’s not a hardware issue with my remote.

Is there a work around?

Yes! You can either use another physical remote with the A9G, the Android TV app on your phone, the SideView app (for those that have it installed before it was pulled from the app store), OR unpair the A9G’s remote and only use infrared.

My request for those that have an A9G

Especially for those with the Asian version of the A9G, can you please report to me if you’re able to replicate the issue above? I believe you have the Asian version if you bought the TV from Asia (including Australia/NZ) unless you bought the TV from mainland China, Philippines, and maybe Japan.

If no one else with the Asian version of the A9G/remote has issues then that means I probably have a faulty remote.

Even if you don’t have the Asian version, please let me know if you can replicate the issues above. Also please let me know if you have Android 8.0 or 9.0. At this time, Android 9.0 has not been released to the APAC version of the A9G so I’m hoping that that update will fix this issue.

Lastly, I believe that there are slight differences between the A9G remotes in different regions as the remote pictures I linked to above has the Google Assistant buttons but my A9G remote and my friend’s A8G remote don’t have the Assistant logo but instead have a generic microphone icon (probably to accomodate for those countries that don’t have Google Assistant).

Thanks for reading all this and I hope that I may assist in helping diagnose this issue for those that have this issue but aren’t sure what’s causing it.

Last edited by a moderator:

DjPihl

Standard Member
Hi here,

I bought a 65" AG9 a month ago, and I'm experiencing the exact same thing when streaming 4K HDR titles on Netflix. I live in Denmark, though, not Asia :)

(My remote model number is: RMF TX600E - I guess the E is simply due to my remote being a European one)

floppybacon89

Novice Member
Hi here,

I bought a 65" AG9 a month ago, and I'm experiencing the exact same thing when streaming 4K HDR titles on Netflix. I live in Denmark, though, not Asia :)

(My remote model number is: RMF TX600E - I guess the E is simply due to my remote being a European one)

Oh good to know I’m not alone in this! Does turning off Bluetooth fix it for you? Also what version of Android are you running? I’m assuming it’s 9.0 since you have the EU model.

DjPihl

Standard Member
Turning off Bluetooth has indeed fixed it for me, so thanks for that :thumbsup:.
As for Android, I'm still on 8.0 (just tried to do an update but my tv insists everything is fully updated)

floppybacon89

Novice Member
Turning off Bluetooth has indeed fixed it for me, so thanks for that :thumbsup:.
As for Android, I'm still on 8.0 (just tried to do an update but my tv insists everything is fully updated)

Glad to hear it worked out well. Android 9 is out for your tv but may not have been pushed out to you yet. You can download it and install it via USB here. If you do update, can you please let me know if it fixes the issue with the remote paired to the TV? Thanks!

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom