I Feel Pretty Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Schumer really is Marmite, Cas. My household, however, likes her and finds her to be often more funny than not. In 'real life' she's pretty much as you'd expect in interviews, guest slots (Seinfield's Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee) and the like with perhaps hints at vulnerability. And I guess that is where this movie comes in, with her showing acidic humour and control in some moments only to then be replaced by unsurety at that very same human experience upon sudden reappraisal.
The shallow Hal criticism is both fair in some ways and unfair in others but if you've seen it (and who doesn't have Paltrow's rear emblazoned in their brain), it's hard to escape. Schumer does well to make this her own and press her sensibility firmly on it. I have to also agree with you Cas, that 'the guy' isn't just an archetypal nuisance but rather has weight that's not just around his midriff.
Worth a watch as a low key investment.

Amy Schumer is another of those actors/actresses who leaves me scratching my head and wondering how they got to where they have and how anyone could find them talented/funny. It's always a matter of taste and few things are more personal than a sense of humour. Many is the time I have alienated someone, a room, workplace, party, funeral etc. with a brilliant bon mot that goes entirely over the heads of the assembled peons. Oh well.

Amy Schumer is another of those actors/actresses who leaves me scratching my head and wondering how they got to where they have and how anyone could find them talented/funny. It's always a matter of taste and few things are more personal than a sense of humour. Many is the time I have alienated someone, a room, workplace, party, funeral etc. with a brilliant bon mot that goes entirely over the heads of the assembled peons. Oh well.

Yep. I feel the same about James Corden too. Talentless fat git.

Yep. I feel the same about James Corden too. Talentless fat git.

OMFG!! Totally! Two things guaranteed to move me across the room at warp speed: The vindaloo striking back or Cordon appearing and the remote not at hand! Never found him funny, amusing, charming, interesting or in any way watchable. And even by his own account it all went to his head and he turned into an insufferable monster! This 'admission' could, of course, be a typical thespian grab for yet more attention in an attempt to win an audience's sympathy as they go, "There, there, James. You're not. We love you. Everybody loves you. You are the greatest anything ever". I've seen this in action with the loathsome individual concerned unable to conceal their pleasure at having gamed the crowd, again. Meanwhile Cordon is minting it in the States (Yes, I am, envious). Americans! You have enough guns by now! Please keep him there! Please!

Last edited:
Corden and his fake upper class accent that drifts in for his US chat show to make Americans think he's intelligent or landed. They don't get it, even when he has his 'Northern as you like' mum and dad on there that he's seriously duping them. He said, everyone thinks I'm this cockney after Gavin and Stacey and then he's on that other tosser Chris Evans Christmas Show and it was, 'Cor blimey, apples n pears guvnor'!

Corden and his fake upper class accent that drifts in for his US chat show to make Americans think he's intelligent or landed. They don't get it, even when he has his 'Northern as you like' mum and dad on there that he's seriously duping them. He said, everyone thinks I'm this cockney after Gavin and Stacey and then he's on that other tosser Chris Evans Christmas Show and it was, 'Cor blimey, apples n pears guvnor'!

Americans are not good at picking up on the myriad UK accents and especially those from varying social strata: It's either cut glass 'Downton Abbey' received pronunciation / clipped Oxford, or Queen's English, usually reserved for the bad guy, or Dick van Dyke's cockney to them. The thing about Cordon is that he plays the charmeleon with an ever fluid self-identity so as to fit into his environment but also to keep the audience off-footed, most likely because, should he have any self-insight, he has no real idea himself as to who and what he is and is terrified he will get found out at any second.

Chris Evans. He's another promoted way, way beyond his pay grade. And also has a terrible off screen and off mic reputation.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom