1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I fancy a play with a PJ

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Radioactive__Man, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Okay got some expendable left over so was thinking of a PJ for bedroom, as I already have a Plasma in the living room, this is kinda an evaluation as I may go projector in a few years when I extend the house.

So with an £800 budget it seems to be either the Z2 or an H30, I have an HDMI DVD player at my disposal but would most likely be linking the PJ up to my Shuttle PC with X800XT video card, which of the above models is more suited to my intended setup?

I'd like to ditch my 18" TFT if possible, bedroom is a small 12' x 12'

thx

Rad

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    i would keep the monitor as PJ while very playable with not great if you want to just check emails etc.... infocus X1 and a few others in budget go get some demos.....

3. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Point taken on the retention of my tft, but any more views on whether either of the 2 models I have shortlisted is inferior to the other for my intended setup or should I be looking perhaps at other models ?

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The Z2 is a nice machine, I had one for a time and even though it's "last year's model" it's still a good buy at its' current price IMHO. It also has horizontal and vertical lens shift, making it very flexible in its' position. Being an LCD then vertical banding is a potential problem, though I don't think it was very bad on the Z2s, mine was fine.

The H30 is a DLP so it'll give you a better picture insofar as the blacks will be deeper and the colours brighter .. however being a DLP you have potentially the dreaded 'rainbow' problem. Also, it's a lower resolution so if you tried to use a large screen, save 92" (which the Z2 could throw, I don't know about the H30), you'd get more pixellation than the Z2.

I think those are the main issues you need to consider, certainly both have had many good comments from owners round here so neither could be dismissed as a 'lemon'. :)

HTH