I don't want hybrid players and multi format discs !!!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by zeroprobe, Jan 4, 2007.

1. zeroprobe

zeroprobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Anyone else think its stupid having all this multi format nonsense. Sure it worked with writable dvd media as they were virtually exactly the same in spec and looks..

I wish hddvd would fall off a rock. I want blu cases and 50gbs of space thankyou.

2. zeroprobe

zeroprobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Its just a mess.....there is no way these two formats are going to survive so this multiformat stuff is stupid.

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,349
    No - I think it is fantastic!

Multi format means...
    ...choice for the consumer :smashin:
    ...competition driving up quality and prices down :smashin:
    ...greater consumer confidence in whichever format you initially choose :smashin:

4. supermackem

supermackem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    I couldnt agree more, when i first heard that sony and toshiba couldnt strike a deal for a combined disc i was gutted. However i think its turned out well so far i mean the bad start br had would they even have attempted to put it right if it was not for the great discs coming out on hddvd right from the off. And later down the line choice will push prices down and both formats will be out to out do each other with the standard of there releases etc.

5. Forest Fan

Forest Fan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    It will help Blu-ray last a bit longer I think. But will sell as poorly as the non-PS3 blu-ray players.

6. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,584
    The only problem I can see with the new dual format route is customer confusion.

It's vital that, if this is the way everyone decides to go, that both parties ensure the media and retailers are fully apraised of the situation, and it's sold as 'The End of the Format Wars! Stop Worrying!'.

Steve W

7. zeroprobe

zeroprobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    this player will like cost 1.5x that of bluray/hddvd player.

8. mmace

mmace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    it's great news, it means the consumer wont decide the outcome as we can play both formats, it will be up to the studios/manufacturers to end the war while we will be able to play everything now and in the future

and as for your fanboy last line, there's just as many wanting BD to fail as there is wanting HD-DVD to fail

9. RunDMC

RunDMC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Neither format looks like it is going anywhere.

Dual players allows at least an easier way to begin the ramp-up for the adoption of HD formats for consumers.

10. T800

T800

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +154
    I'll have saved 0.5x the cost of a player and be able to play every HD disc.:clap:

I think 1.5x the cost of a HD player wouldn't go down too well, I'd expect the cost of a Bluray player and as long as it doesn't cost more than that where's the problem ?

I don't think it will make it more complicated than it already is for the general public, they buy a player, it does everything, problem solved.

11. JP73

JP73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think you are in the minority here!:) We have no idea what a dual player will cost and given the wide difference in pricing between the two formats already it is impossible to predict at this stage. It is inevitable that it will be expensive...how expensive remains to be seen.
    I think its really the only way forward...how can you say something is a bad idea that allows you to watch all movies by all studios? Its the only way you are going to be able to, short of buying two players...neither format is going to "drop off a rock" anytime soon

12. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    how can you say something is a bad idea that allows you to watch all movies by all studios?

Well Toshiba abandoning HD-DVD and embracing Bluray would enable you to watch all movies by all studios too, but I get the distinct impression that you'd feel that this WAS a bad idea :) :)

13. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    There won't be two formats . There will be players that play dvd , hd-dvd and bd. There will only be hd-dvd titles in the shops after a year or two.

14. JohnWH

JohnWH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Dual format is currently benifitting the consumer as it has forced Sony to get of their arses and fix the quality of the BD releases. Anyone who thinks otherwise is simply being naive in my opinion.

I doubt that dual format players will be 1.5x the cost of a BD player, maybe 1.5x the cost of HD-DVD players yes ;)

John.

15. JP73

JP73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Truthfully, for me, it wouldn't really matter as I own both formats. however many own HDDVD solely here and i'm sure they feel that it would be a bad idea and lets face it, its not going to happen.
    Effectively, if the LG player becomes a reality it shows that while they aren't dropping Bluray they are embracing HDDVD...and i'm certain that others will follow. I honestly don't see either format disappearing so I honestly think the best thing for everyone (perhaps not the BDA) is to find a way both formats can coexist. Dual players fulfill this

16. ali b

ali b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You'll reach a point as a disc retailer though where supporting HD discs becomes unprofitable before one format hits the mainstream as they have to invest in two versions of the same product which will sell to essentially the same people (at the moment at least).

Most people seem to agree that, as a gaming system at least, the ps3 won't fail - what will play heavily on the minds of the studios when considering which format to press their titles on is can they afford to lose the potential sales to PS3 owners who are unprepared to buy a standalone player if they go with HD-DVD. While the PS2 undoubtedly helped establish DVD, the players available at the same time were cheaper than a PS2, and the DVD playback on the PS2 was pretty bad. We are now in a situation where Blu-Ray players are at least twice, if not three times, the price of a PS3 and the playback on a PS3 is better than a standalone! PS3 owners who primarily buy the system for gaming are unlikely to want to shell out further money for a standalone player, as they've been promised by Sony that the PS3 plays high definition movies. That's a potential market of millions that studios will have to ignore, which will be especially painful if you're someone like Fox or BVI who have a lot of child and teenage friendly material in the vaults and in production.

Personally, I don't care which sides wins, as long as I can get any film available in HD when I've bought 1 player. I just think that the current market conditions are not enough to make long time BluRay supporters like Fox flinch when we haven't really seen PS3's cards yet.

17. Bald Monkey

Bald Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,084
    The problem with that theory, IMO :D Is that is assumes that newer BR players will not improve upon what is already avaliable and therefore offer either better PQ/SQ or connectivity? Or that the BR standalones will fall in price. All of Which I belive will happen, so the PS3 will not remian the best BR player avaliable for long IMO, infact many who dislike the idea of using a games console will probably say it already isn't. ;)

Just as studios will want the PS3 gamers to buy their discs they will also want the Xbox and PC gamers to buy their discs, which in the case of the Xbox means HD-DVD is the way to go.

As for what cards the PS3 may have.... well again IMO it's playing a hell of a game of poker at the moment, as it apparently being outsold by both the Wii and the 360, and appearing to be over supplied in the US with boxes of them sitting in stores unsold. Yet it doesn't seem to have flinched yet. But it must fold soon, perhaps a price cut will also be on the way for the PS3. :rotfl:

18. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,829
    But the current DVD (SD) that we have allows you to watch all movies by all studio's - so why bother with two new formats?

I understand the appetite for a new HD generation of video disc, but I don't want to have to get a player, and expensive player, to be able to play THREE different formats, and only be able to get some films on one format, and some films on another - it's stupid!

DVD is the current world standard for digital video media - all the world needs, or maybe just wants, is one simple evolution of that media, to upgrade it to HD spec. I don't want to have to choose what film I can and can't watch cos it's only available on one or the other format, or be forced into buying a hybrid player or two seperate players just to watch films - prices will stay high because the companies realise that in order for us to watch certain films, we need a player to play them, so we are trapped and will HAVE to buy said player. The manufacturers of the multi-format players will keep prices high as they know people would like a "one box solution" to this ridiculous multi-format war!

19. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,349
    I'm not so sure - we'll have to wait for CES for LG to announce their MSRP for the dual format player - but I doubt it will be over US$999. Once other companies join the dual format revolution on mass competition will drive prices down. And bar maybe one or two ultra highend models, the single format companies will now have to slash their prices - ergo dual format players won't be able to maintain a lofty price tag for long.

20. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,829
    US$999 is £500 in our money... That is ridiculous in my opinion!!! Christ, I thought £100 for a DVD player was extortionate, but £500 is bordering on insane - even £250 is absurd... It would completely rule me out of it, and I think at least half the population aswell - would be the reserve of the serious (and wealthy) enthusiast only.....

21. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    With an exchange rate of nearly 2 US Dollars to 1 Pound Sterling that should be more like £500 in our money. Although perhaps you're highlighting that we have higher taxes and get charged more here in UK -- but four times US retail?

StooMonster

22. JohnWH

JohnWH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    How much do you think you're going to be paying for a non hybrid player?

23. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,349
    I'm talking about a launch price - as always things will continue to reduce as time goes on. But you won't see high def players - let alone dual models - for £100 yet awhile.

24. ani4ani

ani4ani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +195
    With the prospect of both formats being able to be played in a single player and the likelihood that both formats are likely ro remain around, not least because of the PS3. Whether needed or not, it is recognised that ulimately BD has the larger capacity potential, I wonder if what will happen, is that HD DVD becomes the non-writeable standard disc and BD the recordable format? Just a thought, not a prediction.

25. Bald Monkey

Bald Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,084
    Oddly enough isn't that what BR was first design to do, to be a home media for HD recordings?

26. Tezcatlipoca

Tezcatlipoca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9

It'd come down. Always does.

£100 for a DVD player extortionate?

OK, you can buy DVD players for e.g. £20 in Asda or wherever now, but remember they used to cost *hundreds*.

My first DVD player was one of the original "budget" players - and it cost £150, which was a "bargain" at the time, lol.

27. lgans316

lgans316
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,689
    Buy HDTV with 2 HDMI ports
    Buy both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray Player and keep them side by side.

Even if some manufacturer comes up with a hybrid player I hope that it contains 2 decks (1 for HD-DVD and 1 for Blu-Ray). Like 2 separate players fused into one.

28. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    I dont know why you wouldnt want a single player that could play everything at 1080p (inlcuding upscaled DVDs)

Personaly I would love to have a good player that could play all disc types.
    It would make my life easier as I really dont have enough space for so many different players.

Not to mention the cost of having 2 different players and the extra costs such as high grade cables and such.

Besides, most amps/displays wont have more than 1 or 2 HDMI inputs. So if you have a PS3 (for games) an HDMI DVD player, a Blu Ray player and an HD DVD player your pretty much screwed.

29. av-phile

av-phile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have a movie marathon on a weekend, with 3-4 movies in succession, you might be able to appreciate why at least 2 players playing alternately can be a lot kinder to the machines. Having a BD and HD dvd player on separate boxes has its advantage when watching two films on those formats in succession. It's a lot less taxing to the machines.

True. I have the same problem with 5.1 inputs as most pre/pros and receivers only have one set of multichannel analog inputs. So if I have a separate SACD player and a DVD-A player requiring 5.1 analog connection each, I'd really be screwed. But luckily there are specialty devices that address these problems, including multiple HDMI connections.

But I wouldn't object to dual format players, if indeed that's where the format war leads us to. People who are into marathon movie weekends would do themselves a favour to have at least 2 dual format players still. You can look at it as backing-up each other.

30. T800

T800

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +154
    It would be a LOT cheaper to buy a HDMI switcher.

Having a hybrid with two trays is not very practical and will just cause public confusion.