I dont use a processor anymore, i use JRiver!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by lbstyling, Jan 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lbstyling

lbstyling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Hi all,
    Ive been away for a year or so now, and I thought I would check back in and show you what Ive been doing!

Now, ive sold my processor, AV amp, bluray player and will soon sell my current speakers. because there all obsolete now.

I have a htpc instead!

now im sure many of you will close this thread at this point because you have one yourselves or youve used one and have run into the same issues as me- no room eq, no zone control, glitchy UI, no speaker setup, jumpy video, cant use multiple subs or 7.1, no hd audio or dts-ma, subtitile issues and so on- well its all solved... and then some-

JRiver Media Center software

it does all these things, and alot more. for £25.

I know its not a av amplifier, but it does the job of one bar the power amps. It will even run active speakers !!- yea, filters in the program and output with multiple soundcards.

As for sound quality, its way better than any other option out there, assuming a good sound card is used.

have a look at a thread here on eq/crossovers

Native JRiver 64bit fp convolution engine for Room Correction (FIR filters)?

and here on features vs other players (i just started)

http://www.avforums.com/forums/home-entertainment-pcs/1569777-jriver-media-player-ultimate.html

This company have been quietly doing there thing for 30 years, and just dont ever shout about themselves or advertise! So im doing it for them. (i have no affiliation with them)

What you think?

2. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,058
    So how does it decode DD+, DTS-MA etc.?
    I tried to follow a link for required additional software and that was broken.
    Also there doesn't appear to be manual available.

3. lbstyling

lbstyling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83

dts-ma is the hard one. As far as im aware TMT is the only licensed program to contain the .dll file. So you copy and paste it out of either a legitimate copy or you ask someone who already has it (i can email it) and paste it into J river.

the wiki is the manual. But its not my favorite manual of all time to be honest. -all basics are very straight forward.

The only problematic part for me was getting audio out through the sound card without crackling due to asio issues. This was solved in the end with the addition of wassapi event style. As far as I can tell, any other media player will only downmix audio in k-mixer regardless of weather is states dts-hd-ma playback or not, unless it offers atleast asio drivers. Basically, if the audio works right out of the box without fiddling with drivers, its not hd audio.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,403
    So what speakers etc. are you using with it? What did you have before in terms of AV receiver etc?

5. lbstyling

lbstyling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Hmm, that's a long story. I've used about 50 or so pairs of speakers, and 20 + amplifiers, inc quad electostatics ,a onkyo 886 processor, pioneer Lx82, parasound halo a51 power amp and so on. Currently have a combination of homemade speakers and focal 816w floorstanders about. Amps are connex 1350w rms monoblocks.
    Audio is straight out of sound card via analogue , to power amp or teufel control station, into power amps
    . Im planning To build a mad pair of speakers soon using j river as the crossover.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  6. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,403
    Sounds like some nice equipment there and certainly cheaper than getting a processor to run the monoblocks.

7. Sandy B Ridge

Sandy B Ridge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    It uses an opensource directshow filter - LAV Audio - with the blessing of it's main author, nevcairiel. You can get more info on it at doom9 forum where the main development thread is.
    This filter can allow the DTSMA or TrueHD or whatever HD bitstream to pass through unaltered to your amp via HDMI. It decodes TrueHD to PCM, but can't decode DTSMA without the help of a dll from arcsoft. If you haven't got this dll then it will only decode the 'core' DTS lossy from the DTSMA track.
    Yes, the jRiver website/wiki/manual is pants. Most of what I have learned about it has come from the forum and trial and error. Not ideal for commercial software.....

SBR

8. KUBBY

KUBBY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    lbstyling

You have a thread discussing this software in the home Entertainment Pcs Forum.That is the more relevant place for it.

Continuing this thread is Cross Posting and while your enthusiasm for a product is laudable,there is a hint of spamishness.

I'm closing this rather than deleting it in deference to your enthusiasm.

k.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.