I dont understand...

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by stoomc, Apr 29, 2007.

1. stoomc

stoomc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +485
    PS3 at the moment does not do any scalling aparently but tell me something, I have my PS3 connected via HDMI and every input except 1080p is selected so when I am on the XMB the PS3 resorts to 1080i, fine, but play back a trailer that you have downloaded that is 720p and it will still show as 1080i on your set so the PS3 IS upscalling??? unselect the 1080i option and the trailers that you have downloaded that ARE 720p look so much better, so much so that I have decided to untick 1080i on the PS3 and just tick it when I decide to watch a BD. If you have downloaded Little big planet from the US PS3 store use this to see the difference from watching it 720p to 1080i...it looks so much better in 720P as that is what it should be viewed at!
    So can anyone confirm why the PS3 will show trailers that are 720p at 1080i if it does not upscale?
    Please hurry up Sony and put that on a future update!
    :)

2. Sqweeky Badger

Sqweeky Badger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33

mmmmm tricky but i think instead of the word upscail, mabe try interlaced, 720p is a progressive scan setting, and is beleved to be better, as far as the ps3 does not upscail part, thay are refering to the fact that if you pop in a standard dvd it will not push it up to 1080i it just stays at 576p (i think) it then, through hdmi lets your tv choose the right res

but if you get pure dvd files (vobs) somtimes upwards of 2gb and rename them as mpg it will upscail:smashin: thats why the little big planet trailer is displayed at 1080i, but if the native resolution on your panel is closer to 720 then it will look better on that setting

3. thefunkmiester

thefunkmiester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So, can i take vob files from my dvd camcorder, change the extension to .mp4 and the ps3 will just play them ?

4. Sqweeky Badger

Sqweeky Badger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    well i used .mpg,but some of the files i used did not like being renamed, but the ones that did worked, and looked :thumbsup:

but not all that much better than a standard dvd... although the motion of the video from the hdd seems to look nicer than off a disc (to me) av a go if you get stuck im sure someone in here can help...for a minimal fee of course:D

Edit:eek:h yea right click and see how it encoaded too, the ones encoaded mp2/mp4 work better, others being h264 etc i know that h264 is mp4 but when it says h264 i does not work for me...

5. TankTopLover

TankTopLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Get back to work you slacker! :rotfl:

6. psikey

psikey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,048
    The PS3 does scale (in software).

If you copy a DVD VOB file after renaming it to .mpg it will upscale the 576p material to 720p/1080i etc.

Downloaded trailers will also do the same. Download a 1080p trailer & it can play it at 720p.

There is also a hardware scaler but only recently enabled for gaming in devlopers software tools (link to article in AVforums somewhere)

7. Sqweeky Badger

Sqweeky Badger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    does this mean that when i move to mars, i can have sqwirels with flutes gently rock me to sleep, while i lay on a bed of hungarian hamsters:smashin:

8. psikey

psikey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,048
    You sure your not already from Mars as that statement is completely lost on me :rolleyes: Or is it Martian humour :D

Found link: http://www.beyond3d.com/content/articles/16/

9. Sqweeky Badger

Sqweeky Badger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33

10. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: