I dont own a single Star Wars DVD !!!!!!!

majorstare

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I dont own a Star Wars DVD/boxset:eek:

Think its about time i purchased the original 3 films as a boxset but there seem to be quite a few releases and ive heard there has just been another remastered trilogy release?

Which is the best boxset to get?:confused:

Neither do I and I am a big fan.

I have the last edition on Widescreen VHS before Luca$ started messing about with them. So this is cleaned up but no computer jiggery pokery. I was waiting for a 6 film box set (god knows why, eps 1,2 & 3 were awful) but also a DVD of the original untinkered (but cleaned up) films. Looks like the iminnent release is halfway there for eps 4,5 & 6. I think I'll wait and see what the review sare like before commiting to buy. If they're no goo I might have to copy my VHS to DVD.:eek:

Same here I have the first 3 before the messing. Dont know now if to hang for the Blue Ray etc comes out because Ill want that if its any good.

They new DVDs that are coming out have the unaltered originals and the newer special editions in a 2 DVD per film set.

What about THIS collection (not mine BTW) :devil:

starwarscollection0yj.jpg

To quote a pilot from Return Of The Jedi "There's...too many of them!"

There's one missing, though: the first remaster of Episode VI.

well, despite it being annoying to, i will buy the original originals when they come out in a month or so........sorry but I CANNOT rewatch that damn alternative jabba palace scene or ewok celebration scene one more time....it just irks the living eeaahrrhhgh out of me....

most of the other changes i guess i could live with......but those really get me......still nm....i dont care about anamorphic....i can watch in normal 2:35:1 or whatever it is.....slightly miffed at the sound being left in normal stereo but oh well.....it'll still be the originals....w00t!

Does this mean that Lucas is finally releasing the untampered-with versions? So no Hayden Kristiansen (or whatever his name was) bodged in at the end of ROTJ? When I saw what Lucas had done on the first release of the original trilogy, I swore I wouldn't buy them in that state, and I haven't - I have DVD copies of the Laserdiscs that someone made for me. If I'll finally be able to get the originals, Lucas can have some money from me this time...!

Originally posted by spl23
I have DVD copies of the Laserdiscs that someone made for me. If I'll finally be able to get the originals

That's pretty much what Lucasfilm are releasing next month - the old laserdisc transfers put onto DVD!!!....don't get me started!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Yep, spl23, it's the original ROTJ with Sebastian Shaw as Anakin. The scene only makes sense if the viewer had not watched episodes one to three, though, but if you're only interested in the last half of the saga, you should not be troubled.

Grimleys said:

so i assume the majority of those dvds are all bootleg, don't remember there being quite that many dvd releases of the original trilogy...

quarry2006 said:
Yep, spl23, it's the original ROTJ with Sebastian Shaw as Anakin. The scene only makes sense if the viewer had not watched episodes one to three, though, but if you're only interested in the last half of the saga, you should not be troubled.

Excellent - I'm very definitely only interested in the last half! (Insert relevant quotes / scenes from "Spaced" here...)

Marc said:
so i assume the majority of those dvds are all bootleg, don't remember there being quite that many dvd releases of the original trilogy...
I was going to say the same. ;)

I can see that most of them are various Fan-edits.

I've got 3 versions of Return of the Jedi on VHS :rotfl: 4:3, letterbox and the remastered.

I've not got any DVDs, but I'm going to get the new DVDs even if it's the crap transfer of the untouched version. And that will do me till perhaps a HD version boxset of all the movies come out and then I'll wait till it's in the sales.

Just been reading the reviews of the new releases in DVD Review magazine and it would seem the 'original' versions are in 4:3:thumbsdow
No doubt the 2.35:1 versions will follow next year:devil:

Seriosuly, ye asked for the originals! You got them, in all their 30 year old glory.

Gots to love irony.

Grimleys said:

Wow thats the reason I dont own any. too many various spin offs. The george and his wife on holiday special edition!:devil:

chrislad said:
You got them, in all their 30 year old glory.

If they were 'in all their 30 year old glory', the would be in widescreen, just as they were at the cinema.
The first video release in the UK was 1982, so that makes these 'in their 24 yr old glory' :D

Not really, chrislad. I don't believe any single person who petitioned for the release of the originals in their pre-special edition format thought they'd be getting anything other than the widescreen versions of same.

The difference between 4:3 and 2.35:1 is hardly what I'd call semantics. I'd say it was majorly important.

quarry2006 said:
Not really, chrislad. I don't believe any single person who petitioned for the release of the originals in their pre-special edition format thought they'd be getting anything other than the widescreen versions of same.

The difference between 4:3 and 2.35:1 is hardly what I'd call semantics. I'd say it was majorly important.

My point exactly, but put far better than I ever could.

hmm...i wonder if that would give grounds for a legal case? he has said these editions are the originals in all their glory......and has even made sure we only have stereo sound of the originals........which means the picture must be cinematic release as well...if in 4:3 then he has not given us the originals!

and exactly, its not semantics, its a massive difference.....

ok, just had a looksy on amazon, boy is this a confusing bit of detail......

Disc 2 - Original Version:2.0 Dolby Surround sound and is 2.35:1 letterbox within a 4x3 picture Disc 2 is THX, ensuring the highest possible quality picture and sound

2:35:1 letterbox within a 4x3 picture?

err...

this sounds like when i watch it on my 720p projector, its going to revert to 4:3 with black bars on the sides, but inside that 4:3 is going to be a little widescreen show which means black bars on top and bottom.....

damn thats gonna be weird...lol..i pity anyone watching on a 28in widescreen TV....its gonna be about 10in picture..lol

edit: just noticed, it also says disc 1, which is the new versions again, has DTS 5.1???...haha....either Lucas is having a pop at Dolby or Amazon have got it all mixed up..lol

edit2: on the star wars website shop it appears they have 2 versions released over there, a full screen and widescreen, altho it doesnt say if that is the revamp or the 'bonus' unaltered original.....or both.......

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom