i don't get it

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by stegalv, Oct 11, 2004.

Tags:
  1. stegalv

stegalv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    am i missing something?why is everybody buying the freeview pvrs.
    as i understand it (please correct if wrong) with these units you can only record the channels that are on freeview? of which 80% are c**p.
    Why isn't everyone buying the standalone h/disk recorders that have inputs for sky/cable boxes and also terrestrial broadcasts giving a much wider choice.
    As i said at the beginning "am i missing something"?

2. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Not everyone wants, or can have, or can afford SKY.

It's only your estimation that 80% of Freeview channels are crap. I wonder what proportion of channels on SKY could be classified as crap?

A big reason that people buy HDD Freeview PVR's is that they record directly from the broadcast stream for best quality and use the 8 day programme guide for programme reservation. Both feats that stand alone PVR's cannot achieve. They are also cheaper e.g. the Humax pvr8000T at about £150.

Everyone has the right to make the viewing choice of their own without being criticised for doing so.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    The Plot?

4. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    crash and burn :D

5. mattrixdesign

mattrixdesign

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

:laugh:

You are missing something I guess or Freeview is just not for you. However it covers all my needs (BBC, News24, Digital Radio, ITV, CH4 etc), the PQ is excellent (on my Humax any way). If 80% of Freeview is crap I could argue that 95% of Sky is crap as I would only watch the same few channels - the more channels there are, the less quality in terms of content.

Also Freeview PVRs are free (other than the inital cost) not at the high prices Sky charge!

The only problem I have with freeview is lack of 5.1 support, but I can not justify going with Sky for some 5.1, when most films I watch are on DVD any way.

6. stegalv

stegalv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Calm down ikki & hornydragon, i was'nt criticising anyone for buying a freeviw pvr i just wanted to know the reasons for doing so and i was'nt implying that sky or cable are a better option (although even one of the basic packages is better than freeview, and i have only a basic package) and i agree that the majority of sky programmes are crap and not worth the money.
    is having a 8 day programme guide more important than having inputs to record from any source, again only a question not criticism (i know how touchy you can be))
    i have seen other threads where people have sky/cable, and still buy a freeview pvr which seemed to me to limit their choices of programmes to record and that was the reason for my question.

thanks mattrixdesign that was more helpful
    cwoj is your answer in code?

7. PookySam

PookySam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Most of what I watch is on analogue terrestrial but it didn't seem a difficult choice to buy a freeview PVR. I have a humax 8000T which for £150 gives you a 7/8 day epg, the occasion good program on bbc3/bb4 and generally very good picture quality along with an unlimited (well, it seems like it) supply of sky quality tv programming in the form of Undercover Customs and Eye of the Storm (aka Sky Travel) along with documentaries every night about WW2 (aka UKTVHistory which today is showing Heroes of WW2 from 9am through til 8pm) :p Can you recommend a non freeview PVR for less than £150 that would have been a contender?! I think not :)

8. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Well bitstream record, no subscription, pause live TV, no subscription, the ability to have lossless recordings, no subscription, 7 day EPG, no subscription and no subscription make it worth having

9. sjl

sjl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a Freeview box and the only reason I have it is that I am unable to have Sky(the residents committee do not want dish hanging off the side of the building)so I have a choice of either freeview or cable.

I tried cable(Telewest) and had so much grief and the cost was horrendous in comparison to Sky for the channels I actually wanted that I sent it back.

If I could get Sky One,VH1 and Home and Leisure on their own I would be well happy lol but frankly I have more chance of getting a whale up my ass than that ever happening :)

So I am stuck with Freeview for the time being.

Regards

Steve

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I've just ditched NTL, it came to the point where the only channel watched on it was nicktoons, ie rugrats. My kids have seen them all loads of times, so now we make do with freeview. As we have a PVR, and I won't mention the brand name, as we are talking generic here, we hardly ever watch live TV, the kids will watch HIGNFY when they get up this am, (1/2 term) and possibly a bit of Red Dwarf later, it's a different way of watching TV. As we have a projector and a plasma, we need all the picture quality we can get, so a bitstream recorder was a no brainer.

11. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,527
    There is some cracking quotes on this thread! We have Panny300 admitting that he only has a "basic package" and SJL saying that he has more of a chance of "getting a whale up my ass" than getting only the channels he wants!

Fantastic!!!

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The whale business made me laugh, too. He sounds like he wants it to happen!

13. sjl

sjl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    LOL glad I managed to amuse you :D

MAW will be in touch again soon need a new DVD player to compliment the Amp you sold me :smashin:

Steve

14. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,527

Whats that? A dvd player that sits there sayng to the amp "Hey amp, you look great! Doing a fantastic job!!! Everything sounds amazing"!!!

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

15. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Course his amp sounds amazing, it's a Denon 3803! Maybe it's got an inferiority complex. Whales are very well hung, you know.