I don't get it. What is so great about this game?

mook1979

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have heard LBP being mentioned a few times in conversations and on this forum, but I did not know what it was until earlier today. I do not get what all the fuss is about. I'm just reacting this way, because I only have a Wikipedia page and a few youtube videos to base my findings on. I don't mean to offend anyone.

I was thinking to myself that it is pretty crap that LBP has it's own sub-category on the PS3 Games section of this forum and Far Cry 2 does not. That's when I thought I'd have a look.

Please explain to me why something that looks like it belongs on the Wii has everyone so fired up?

Thanks

Last edited:
To be honest unless you have played it you're probably not in a position to judge it. Having said that it more then deserves it own sub forum for the user creation side if nothing else. It is one of the best games on the PS3 and one of the best games ever released when it comes out IMHO. It certainly is a contender for game of the year. I have played Far Cry and whilst it may have a user creation tool to make your own levels at the end of the day it is just another FPS game all be it with free roaming aspects. On the other hand LBP offers a lot of innovation on the platform genre and gives a lot of freshness and originality to the genre with the gameplay, graphcs and variety of options.

Personally I don't think Far Cry as a franchise has the following or popularity and doesn't deserve it's own forum. On the other hand LBP has had so much buzz not just from the media but also from gamers with the beta and it doesn't look this is is going to slow down. You just have to look at the level of demand for beta keys not just here but in general. It's going to be one of the biggest sellers on the PS3. All IMHO ofcourse.

Last edited:
Little Big Planet is more popular that Far Cry 2, so that is probaly why it has it's own sub section. Look at how many threads and posts there are about LBP compared to Far Cry 2. Im not saying Far Cry 2 is rubbish I am going to get it my self, look's awesome. :smashin:

Last edited:
I can't believe someone who has a PS3 and plays games on it has not heard that much about LBP....:eek:

Considering half a dozen sites offering beta codes crashed in minutes under the traffic, I'd say demand is pretty high. Can't see the same thing happening with a Far Cry 2 beta.

im the biggest far cry 2 fan there is at the moment, but I dont think it deserves its own sub forum, LBP has to have one - i can see individual members having their own threads to post/discuss/analyze just their own creations

I just cant get over how long it must have taken to create that!

Wow a kind of LBP re-invention of Charles Babbage's computer.. it must have taken a fair amount of time to do that, well impressed :eek:

What is so good about this game? The story levels are just a bonus. It's the user content and level creator that really count :thumbsup:

Collecting all stickers, objects, and costumes is damn addictive in this game. I got up to a level called The Bunker and just gave up for the moment, really frustrating part in it. Anyway my dead space came a few days after it and got hooked to that for a while, which is an awesome game btw.

Not had to much time to screw around with creating my own levels, i'll probably be the type to play other people's more than create my own.

I've seen loads of videos but I can honestly say that while you can undoubtedly do some 'cool' stuff with the level editor, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot in it on the gameplay side.

I'll wait 'til it's out and there's a good playable demo but from all the footage I have seen, doesn't float my boat.

Wow, thanks for all the replies and opinions.

I will take your word for it and keep an open mind here. I am not the biggest gamer in the world. If I was not married, I'd never see daylight though. I only own three games (see signature), and have been looking around recently for something new, when I saw that Far Cry has a sequel, and that it is moving in a direction that I was hoping for. So I did not really look at too much else. I did however read up on LBP after I saw the forum created for it.

Based on youtube videos I think that FC2 is a slightly more grown up game while LBP seems like more of a kids thing. My view is shifting because of your comments though.

I'll keep an open mind and not make serious judgements until a downloadable demo is available. Is there any word on this? I hope I'll be able to get a free one from the PS3 store.

I never thought I'd go into such deep discussion about a game.

:)

I doubt there will be a public demo as I think it would be difficult to show people the "create" and "share" elements of LBP without devoting server resources specifically to this.

To be honest though, before I downloaded the LBP beta I couldn't see what all the fuss was about (I've never been a huge fan of platformers anyway), and even after playing through a couple of levels I still wasn't all that impressed... but then I found myself playing it for about 6 hours solid :eek::eek::eek:

I've never laughed so much in a game before - messing about on some of the online levels with a couple of mates has had me in tears!

I doubt there will be a public demo as I think it would be difficult to show people the "create" and "share" elements of LBP without devoting server resources specifically to this.

To be honest though, before I downloaded the LBP beta I couldn't see what all the fuss was about (I've never been a huge fan of platformers anyway), and even after playing through a couple of levels I still wasn't all that impressed... but then I found myself playing it for about 6 hours solid :eek::eek::eek:

I've never laughed so much in a game before - messing about on some of the online levels with a couple of mates has had me in tears!
My sentiments exactly, until you actually play the game with some mates, you won't appreciate how good it is and I doubt you'll laugh as much in a game ever again!

I was a sceptic, but after playing i'm converted. What I can say is that it's so much fun, it's better if your a sort of person who thinks outside of the box though because it's mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did anyone see that calculator the guy made (sorry if its already been posted). It truly shows the potential of user generated content for this :)

YouTube - LittleBigPlanet : Little Big Computer

That's the thing though, i'm sure that took hours to make, but at the end of the day it's just a calculator. :confused:

I think a few of you have bought the sales pitch for this game;) ! I will try the demo when it arrives , but i dunno i suppose i prefer more traditional games, and i couldn't be bothered to make a level. :D

That's the thing though, i'm sure that took hours to make, but at the end of the day it's just a calculator. :confused:

I think a few of you have bought the sales pitch for this game;) ! I will try the demo when it arrives , but i dunno i suppose i prefer more traditional games, and i couldn't be bothered to make a level. :D

I doubt you'll ever see a demo of LBP, and therefore you'll never get to appreciate the game.

You really need to play it, with some mates, online before you can say things like above, as it looks very basic and even dull until you actually play it for yourself.

Also, I acknowledge it's not to everyones taste, I know a few who aren't that blown away despite being in the Beta but to me, it's an amazing game and I think it'll be an all time classic.

I don't think many people are particularly excited about doing some simple addition for hours on end :D - I think the point is, I doubt Media Molecule ever expected anybody to try and create something like a calculator in the game, but the fact that somebody had such a ridiculous idea, tried to put it into the game, and it worked, reinforces just how vast the possibilities for this game are. If you can do that then you can do anything :)

Will there be a downloadable demo?

Probably not as they already had an open beta back in September that lasted about three weeks. I suspect the beta was in place of a demo. Certainly nothing has been announced. To be honest IMO it's one of the best games on the PS3 and is certainly a contender for game of the year not only on the PS3 but also overall and everyone should buy it. If you really don't like it then you will probably be able to sell it for a decent price and not lose too much. However with the user creation mode it's likely to just get better as time goes by as people get better at creating new levels and new DLC is added.

Probably not as they already had an open beta back in September that lasted about three weeks. I suspect the beta was in place of a demo. Certainly nothing has been announced. To be honest IMO it's one of the best games on the PS3 and is certainly a contender for game of the year not only on the PS3 but also overall and everyone should buy it. If you really don't like it then you will probably be able to sell it for a decent price and not lose too much. However with the user creation mode it's likely to just get better as time goes by as people get better at creating new levels and new DLC is added.

Okay, based on what you said I'm going to get it. Thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom