"I Don't Believee it"

Mike-M

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have just received a replacement TW10H after returning the first one with a fault.
The picture on the first on was some 3 inches narrower on the left side compaired to the right.
The replacement appears to have the same fault (though not to the same degree. Yet) And a dead pixel centre/right which now I've seen it once, my eyes will be drawn to it in every dark scene.
I am thinking of returning it and replacing it with a different make. I went for it after reading generally good reviews and the fact that it is native widescreen. But now I'm really disappointed with the experience.
I got it from Technoworld and have been satisfied with their customer service so It will be much easier to swap it with them for something else.
I will only be watching DVD's on it so It must be suited to doing that the best. I dont mind increasing what I pay by a couple of hundred. So the total budget including the refund from the Epson will be £800 MAX.
:lease: All advice most welcome

I know this sounds obvious, but is the projector completely square to the screen?

yes it is maxiboy. The difference in sides is all down to the bottom of the picture sloping up from right to left the top is level. This is opposite to the previous one where the top of the picture went down from right to left.

Mike-M said:
yes it is maxiboy. The difference in sides is all down to the bottom of the picture sloping up from right to left the top is level. This is opposite to the previous one where the top of the picture went down from right to left.
When setting my TX up I had a similar issue. Top was spot on, the bottom right was a couple of cm lower then the bottom left. It was an alignment issue, and it was only a matter of mm's adjustment... didn't help that nothing is square in our old house!...PJ

There is no obvious way to adjust to compensate for this. The keystone does not change it. When you say "adjustment" PJ how did you do it?

Mike-M said:
There is no obvious way to adjust to compensate for this. The keystone does not change it. When you say "adjustment" PJ how did you do it?
Very slightly swivel the whole PJ in the horizontal plane, do it one way then the other to see the effect. Try not to resort to digital keystone if you can help it, though I realise this may be easier said than done - I have the luxury of horiz and vert lens shift on the TX which was essential for my installation...PJ

If I tilt the projector am I not just trying to make the best out of a bad job.

Mike-M said:
If I tilt the projector am I not just trying to make the best out of a bad job.
Physical adjustment of the PJ position is far better than digital correction. How are you using the PJ? Ceiling mounted, or on a shelf / table?
...PJ

What I am wondering is if it is acceptable to have a projector which displays a mis shaped picture and have no adjustment to compensate for it. Tilting it will not increase the width of the picture on the narrower side just tilt the whole screen to try to balance it out as much as possible. This is my first PJ and what I suppose I'm asking is if a fault of this kind is acceptable and this shape variance is common to a lot of PJ's?

Mike-M said:
What I am wondering is if it is acceptable to have a projector which displays a mis shaped picture and have no adjustment to compensate for it. Tilting it will not increase the width of the picture on the narrower side just tilt the whole screen to try to balance it out as much as possible. This is my first PJ and what I suppose I'm asking is if a fault of this kind is acceptable and this shape variance is common to a lot of PJ's?
All projectors will display mis-shaped pics if they are not perfectly aligned to the surface they are projecting on, and correct alignment in all planes - tilt is just one of them. And the key initial adjustment is by physically placing the projector in the correct position - this is why ceiling brackets swivel in all directions for example.
It can be a frustrating task getting the setup correct, hope you get there in the end!
Perhaps others can explain better than I have. :) ...PJ

BauerCTU said:
i have similar probs we live in an old old house and no wall is sq in it. im only talking mm out in my screen a i have one end lightly off the wall to balance it out
You've seen nothing 'til you see my house. "Character" I think estate agents call it. :)
When projecting 7ft+ pics, to get everything to the mm is quite a challenge! I ended up measuring to the nearest quarter inch, and I was a lot happier! ;)

...PJ

PJ, Attached is a sketch of the shape of picture my projector is displaying. I don't see how tilting the unit will stretch the narrow side to match the other.

As we're getting "all artistic" ;) hopefully my crude attempt here will help, I've been trying to describe the motion exemplified here in the "TOP" drawing, tilt as you describe it is usually assiciated with the "SIDE" drawing. Of course you can get combinations of all 3 planes with associated distortion!
Cheers...PJ

Attachments

• swivel.JPG
    swivel.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 95
It's not fair. Your drawing is better than mine.
I have borrowed a NEC projector from work and will have a play about with things tonight. I am assuming if I site the borrowed one in the same location as the Epson then it's picture should be the same which will confirm if the location or the Epson is wrong.
I'll let you know how it goes

I have to admit, I suspect you dont have the projector in the middle of the screen. It has to be square to the screen and midway between right/left and top/bottom. How much is it out at the bottom? A black border to the screen makes this effect disappear very effectively and might be worth trying if you cant get it square. With my black border I dont really mind putting it slightly off centre because you cant notice it (even with the lights off).

explicitlyrics said:
...and midway between right/left and top/bottom. How much is it out at the bottom? A black border to the screen makes this effect disappear very effectively...

Thank God for lens shift.

Agree with the black border statement...PJ

THis sounds very much like the pj is slightly to one side of center, and has been rotated to match the image to the screen location.

I had exactly the same thing with my first pj, and only had to move it an inch to the right, and that corrected the bottom slope of the image. It was ceiling mounted, so I had to unscrew it and then refix it to the ceiling again.

It's like having sideways keystone - the pj lens is slightly nearer one side of the screen than the other, so the closest part is smaller. Because pjs often have a fixed upwards lens shift to project up to the screen (or down if ceiling mounted), this seems to keep the bottom or top straight, with the other edge sloping off slightly.

Gary.

Mike it is certainly a case of positioning from what I can tell here. The NEC will likely use a different character lens so will not produce the same mishapen image, but likely a different kind of mishapen image!!! You shouldn't need to borrow another projector, simply picking yours up and moving it one way or another will bring up a differently shaped image and hence prove it is position not physical fault.

Nice diagram PJ!!

Well, I played with it last night (the PJ that is) and it all seems fine. Didn't do anything to it or with it, even the dead pixel seems to have sprung to life. can't understand it, but thanks for all your help.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom