1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Don't BELIEVE it! I've bought another lemon

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by gordymck, Jan 23, 2005.

1. gordymck

gordymck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why do I, a reasonably intelligent individual who normally learns from mistakes, keep buying technology that goes obsolete within months! :suicide:

Last April I bought the Philps 37PF9965 plasma TV package. Only now am I realising that the xxPF9965 range must be the world's worst displays for connectivity. I just cannot believe I was gullible enough to buy one. Don't get me wrong, the picture quality over RGB scart is very good, but just hold off that praise until you try and connect any of the new digital equipment boasting dvi, hdmi, hdcp, sdi, OR EVEN multiple component sources. :mad:

So what connections does the philips have, I hear you ask. Well, firstly the xxPF9965 comes with its own receiver/E-box, the FTR995. This box is the sole source of all video signals for the display. The display refuses to acknowledge any other signal that is not routed through its own box. The FTR9965 has 4 scarts, 1 composite, and 1 YPbPr (3xRCA) component on the rear panel. So with an all analogue input selection things are going to get complicated. :thumbsdow
    Firstly, The screen will not accept any routed HDCP streams via DVI or HDCP, even if this is routed through an appropriate scaler. This is due to the fact that todays scalers are legally obliged not to output HDCP in analogue.
    Secondly, If I was to connect up digital devices via a scaler, it would be questionable how feasible this would be, as any output would have to be analogue to interface with the FTR9965, thus negating the benefits of sourcing a digital signal in the first place.

Can anybody think of a way to use this bloody useless plasma to it's full advantage? :mad:
    Would I be wasting time and money investing in a decent scaler to improve the picture on my Sky+ and DVD devices, and would it even be worth considering SDI upgrades for devices connecting to a scaler?

Thanks for your patience :clap:

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Loads of others in exactly the same position. Even Pansonic owners are now complaining. They have the capability to add a digital connection, but it does not support the reslolutions and timings required, they have been let down by Pansonic's failure to correctly produce an HDMI input board. So at least we can say you are in good company.

3. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Me again...and no I'm not following you around...honest :D

Like you say running an external scaler and then being limited to only using YUV would really be defeating the whole point IMHO…do you know what resolutions it supports over YUV ? it might be that your limited anyway.

I know it's not what you want to hear but I'd say you'd be best to cut your losses and sell the Philips and replace it with something more suitable…what that would be is another minefield…the new Fujitsu screens sound promising as do the NECs…the future is not clear regarding HDTV on the current Panasonic range…the Pioneer XDE/FDE's will work with just about anything at the moment – the only drawback being no native resolution support over HDMI.

I think a fair number of people will find themselves in your shoes though.

Cheers, Lee

4. HeweyBoy101

HeweyBoy101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I have the 37PF9965 (purchased last March). I too am a little miffed to have made such an ill timed purchase. However, I've resolved to keep the Phillips and wait for 2/3 years to see what happens as regards HDTV, HD-DVD vs BluRay, appropriate connectivity (HDCP), LCD vs Plasma outcome, not to mention continued price reductions for decent HD compatible panels, as these become more widespread. Meanwhile, I'm very happy with the analogue RGB picture quality on Sky+ & Freeview, and DVD via component.

One point to mention - I did borrow an external scaler (iscan HD) recently to try out with the Phillips. Connected this via the VGA input (component signal). This by the way is the only way to get a progressive signal into the Phillips screen. Component is no go - will only accept interlaced. Results were good, but not sufficient to warrant the £1k cost. To my eyes, the internal pixel plus scaler is already doing a good job, especially on TV based material. Pictures via the VGA input / scaler always looked rather washed out compared to the high contrast image achievable with pixel plus.

My recommendation - enjoy the screen now on SD material, and wait a while before rushing out and replacing it. I think too much is uncertain at present as regards the future HD environment. Anyway, a high quality component analogue feed will give HDMI / DVI a good run for it's money anyday.

5. HeweyBoy101

HeweyBoy101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    As stated above - prog scan is a "no go" via component. However, RGB input via VGA will work with virtually all resolutions, except 1080p, which was out of scope. I was able to check this using the iscan HD scaler.

6. gordymck

gordymck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup: Thanks Guys, good advice.

I agree that updating the display is the best solution, but after building the thing into the wall, not to mention spending all that money, I'm a bit hesitant to sell the Philips yet... at least not until I try and get every last penny's worth out of it.

What I was thinking was this... Sky+ SDI mod, input to Lumagen VisionDVI with twin SDI and BNC output. Interface this with quality cable to the YPbPr input on the FTR9965 and hopefully will acheive nice results.
    Having been told I'm screwed with HDCP, I would connect unprotected HDMI/DVI from my Pioneer DV-868 to the VisionDVI and again output from BNC to the analogue YPbPr on the FTR9965.

Unfortunately I have a computer background and not an AV one (it's probably obvious), so I'm relying on you guys to let me know if you think this is a reasonable plan. The way I'm thinking just now the VisionPro is going to be so much cheaper than the new display option, and if things don't go exactly to plan, at least the VisionPro should have better longevity that the Philips 37PF9965 :D

So as for the plan... anyone think it's any good?