I don't “get” the paralympics. Is there something wrong with me ?

StandardToaster

Standard Member
Reaction score
I “get” the main Olympics, supposedly the pinnacle of world sport. Multiple disciplines, thousands of athletes from hundreds of countries at their peaks of fitness; testing themselves against each other and striving to break records; up-and-coming athletes eager to make a name for themselves; go down in history; test themselves beyond their known limits. And for spectators: to even just be around the historymakers to tell their kids they saw it with their own eyes. I seem to “get” that it's a subtly-hidden business venture too. Bigmoney is at play. Jobs now and ongoing both in and outside of sport. And so on.

The paralympics, however, I do not “get” and never have. Any world records achieved there seem meaningless and forgettable. There can be stark disparities of ability between athletes in the same event and plenty of incidents of people cheating categories, not to mention themselves and their competitors (e.g., toe breaking). Whilst I love the idea of it being there as something for people with disabilities to strive towards, I can barely bring myself to be bothered about it as a world-level event and I don't understand why anyone else would be.

Watching some of the C4 coverage, where we are treated to schmaltzy “backstories” aggravates me massively too. I don't know why but it seems all very 'headpatty' whilst simultaneously pretending that it isn't. Will someone please, please help me to understand why any of us need to care about the Paralympics because I'm obviously missing something as I don't “get” it. Genuine plea. Are there any articles which do a good job of 'justifying' it ?

Thanks all...

Last edited:
The paralympics, however, I do not “get” and never have. Any world records achieved there seem meaningless and forgettable. There can be stark disparities of ability between athletes in the same event

that's why you have the factoring system for times but yeah the C4 coverage is awful hence why I am sticking to the live steams from the IPC as well going to quite a few events

If you don't get the point, then no-one can really explain what it is.

You either get it or you don't. There isn't anything wrong with you, it's just that some people find their achievements inspiring and others don't.

I found the story of the lady who lost both her legs in the London bombings far more inspiring than anything at the Olympics.

I must admit I don't really get it either fully. So yes there is a very fast cyclist without a hand, I wouldn't class that as a disability for for a cyclist but yes she is a fine athlete nothing against it but could easily compete in non disabled events.

Others seem so disabled, old and fat that I am actually intrigued what events they are competing in, but athletes? Nah I just can't imagine that at all.

I wanted to watch more, but you know what channel 4s rubbish coverage is putting me right off.

dejongj said:
Others seem so disabled, old and fat that I am actually intrigued what events they are competing in, but athletes? Nah I just can't imagine that at all.

Did you see the equestrian events at the Olympics?

Or maybe the 34 stone Judo man.

I'm sure this whole event is about appeasing the less able ...sorry , but i said it !!!

Why is it "appeasing" them ? - (not being condescending but assuming you know what the word means).

signs said:
What bombings ? WW1_WW2 or more recent ?

I am giving you the opportunity to back out of this comment? Was that a joke?

I just about soiled myself then read whistles response and actually followed through. Luckily I was at the loo at the time of reading this or my wife would not have coin it quite so funny when u told her!

If this was a serious question I am getting AVF to revoke your license!

I'm sure this whole event is about appeasing the less able ...sorry , but i said it !!!

Actually, the origins of the Paralympics lie in the pioneering work of Sir Ludwig Guttmann using sport to rehabilitate British serviceman with spinal cord injuries. Following his work in establishing the National Spinal Injuries Centre, Stoke Mandeville Hospital in 1944, he devised the Stoke Mandeville Games in 1948 which was the ancestor of the modern Paralympic movement born in 1960. But yes, I can see how this is all appeasing :rolleyes:

I just about soiled myself then read whistles response and actually followed through. Luckily I was at the loo at the time of reading this or my wife would not have coin it quite so funny when u told her!

None of that makes any sense sorry .

It's a question all someone had to do was point him in the right direction and not mock the feller.

Did anyone see Jody Cundy the GB cyclist getting worked up after he got disqualified from his event? he was ranting and swearing saying that he has wasted 4 years building up to his event It really did show how much the paralympics means to the men and women taking part!

Paralympians get angry too! Cyclist Jody Cundy has a tantrum worthy of a gold medal after disqualification | Mail Online

Why is it "appeasing" them ? - (not being condescending but assuming you know what the word means).

Because the "olypics " has ended with a spectacular finally , yet the less able "has to make do" ,

Obversely being far more intelligent than I , pherhaps you could explain ? !

Oh by the way bosque , never , never assume anything

Last edited:
Signs do you think that that the paralympics is not a worthwhile event?

Actually, the origins of the Paralympics lie in the pioneering work of Sir Ludwig Guttmann using sport to rehabilitate British serviceman with spinal cord injuries. Following his work in establishing the National Spinal Injuries Centre, Stoke Mandeville Hospital in 1944, he devised the Stoke Mandeville Games in 1948 which was the ancestor of the modern Paralympic movement born in 1960. But yes, I can see how this is all appeasing :rolleyes:
The feature length drama about him from a few weeks ago with the excellent Eddie Marsan playing Guttmann is repeated on BBC2 at 10pm, Sunday night

- BBC Two - The Best of Men
Entertaining drama about the birth of the Paralympics in 1948. The remarkable Dr Guttmann comes to Stoke Mandeville Hospital and begins to tranform the lives of his patients. They are paralysed soldiers, written off and facing death from neglect. Their big breakthrough comes when Guttmann introduces sport into their rehabilitation.

Because the "olypics " has ended with a spectacular finally , yet the less able "has to make do" ,

Obversely being far more intelligent than I , pherhaps you could explain ? !

Oh by the way bosque , never , never assume anything

From whatever that gibberish means I see I assumed wrongly.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom