I Do/Don't Trust Magazine Reviews

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by ninehours, Sep 22, 2007.

Tags:
?
  1. I Trust Magazines They Know What They Are Talking About

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I Take Reviews From Mag's As A Guide Only

11 vote(s)
    19.0%
  3. I Never Trust Magazine Reviews

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  4. I use A Online Review Site As A Guide Only

5 vote(s)
    8.6%
  5. I use A Online Review Site And Trust It Implicitly

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Use A Combination Of Sources And Make My Own Mind Up

41 vote(s)
    70.7%
  1. ninehours

ninehours

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Do you trust reviews of TV's in Magazines, One mag this month trashed a TV's picture performance but at least one person as posted that the TV is nowhere near as bad as they are saying, Do you implicitly trust reviews or do you take them as a general guide or do you never trust reviewers.

2. Stringent

Stringent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use them as a guide, but I prefer using this forums for a more accurate overaul look at a certain product.

3. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I use a combination of sources.

Also depends on the magazine as well. Sometimes one needs to be able to read between the lines. One very popular AV magazine states its reviews are never linked to advertisers...........shyeah, right!! So one just needs to understand how to read through the hyperbole sometimes. Some magazine reviewers are not the experts that they portray to be either, and many magazine reviews are also done without much calibration.

One magazine I trust a lot mind, is Home Cinema Choice, they tend to be one of the more technically gifted of the mainstream AV mags.

With most things though, it's always best to check something one wishes to buy in person.

4. a_jam_sandwich

a_jam_sandwich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Tbh i've been looking for a LCD for a while and the biggest source of information is the owners that already have them, you guys! that helps me make my mind up!

And of course seeing it in its glory always helps!

5. TRON1

TRON1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Magazine reviews are a good guide and can give you some pointers but in reality a tv that has been used by the man in the street for a while is probably a better view espeically with plasmas which tbh need to be run in.I think forums are the way to go as its real people who have made real purchases.

6. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,190
    They are only a guide. Usually, the recommended model of a test usually has lots of ads from the same manufcatuer in the mag so they have to be nice about what they are reviewing. Then, the real opinion is printed later a couple of months later.

7. DaveC

DaveC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I've been burnt with magazine reviews before, so I'm not a big fan. The mags can still be nice to buy though....even if the reviews are suspect, they usually get the specs and release dates correct.

Apart form the suspicion of reviews being biased to their biggest advertisers, the other thing to bear in mind is that mainstream mags will get their review sets sent to them from the manufacturers....the kit they send will not be representative of what you buy in the shop....it'll be hand selected and possibly carefully tweaked to make sure they send the absolute best that they can...it'd be daft to do anything else :)

It's always worth taking mag reviews with a pinch of salt, sometimes I've wondered if the "reviews" is even based on seeing the TV or if it's just based on the specs :confused:

These forums are definitely the best place to find out what real world problems exist. Also worth checking out www.* for very technical reviews....I believe they actually buy the tvs off the shelf too so it's more likely to be representative of what you buy.

8. rossm99

rossm99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And I should read all the choices before voting........doh

9. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    The magazine's cannot be objective because they relie on advertising revenue............on the other hand who knows who forum members work for, and they largely hide behind pseudonims...........even wikipedia has problems with the practice of manufacturers updating bad reviews being highlighted recently.

Just need to get my pin and find that donkey I guess....:D!

10. ninehours

ninehours

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    I realised after posting this that people would probably need to make more than one choice as for instance they may trust a web site but not trust magazine's perhaps that would be a forum upgrade for polls to allow people to make say 2 choices.