Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

I DO Believe in Ghosts!!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Simian, Apr 12, 2001.

1. Simian

Simian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help...

I'm not sure if its my DVD or my TV thats doing it!.

I've got a Panny DVD RV60 (Techtronics Multimod) and a Panny 32DK1 TV (Bought locally) and they're connected via a 'Mutts Nuts' 40quid Gold Scart... The problem is I'm getting what I can only describe as 'Ghosting' on some R1 and R2 discs (not all of em), I get a sort of 'ghost like' second immage, more noticable on human faces, it looks like a focus or convergence problem but its a CRT TV.

Can anyone out there help... Please. :(

2. Craig Crane

Craig Crane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    crt can also suffer from convergenve errors, though in a different manner to crt pojectors. The easiest way to see if the TV is not converged well is to put in a test disc and look at a test pattern. I am sure it is OK though, as most CRT tv's dont stray that far from the factory settings. However, does your TV have any 100hz or digital noise reduction functions? If so, turn them off and see if the ghosting still appears. Failing that, try another cable.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,039
    The other thing to do is check that the sharpness conrtol of the TV is turned down. This introduces ringing like you are seeing.

Some DVD's also have "edge enhancement" encoded on the picture. This can often be the other cause of ringing like you're seeing. If it's discs dependant then that may be the answer.

Gordon

4. Craig Crane

Craig Crane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    True.

Be sure to let us know the results.

As a side line, HTPC never suffers from edge enhancment. No real reason to add this, apart from the fact that your mention of edge enhancment made me realise that I have not seen it for ages :)

But I digress...

5. Simian

Simian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers you Guy's...

My TV does not have 100Hz switching, it's 50Hz only (thank god.. less to go wrong!).

I tried the Pin 19 thing and the interferance crawling in the background has now gone! Yay...

I have now turned the sharpness down, and most of the 'Ringing' has gone.. you can still see it on some discs, Mainly R1 stuff from Warners: Matrix, Red Planet etc.. (they must use crap encoding methods!).

I've got a copy of Toy story 1&2 box set (R1) with the THX Optimode settings.. I followd the gubbins and my pictures and sound are now wicked except for the above R1 Warners!..

Again Cheers Guys!. ;)