1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I did it! I bought the Sammy 50! I hope I got the right one!!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by mistycat, Mar 3, 2005.

1. mistycat

mistycat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hope I got the right one, the picture appears great. Looking forward to delivery. :thumbsup:

2. DLPhopefull

DLPhopefull
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Good choice, I felt the same nerves until it arrived then never looked back. Simply superb. What will you be connecting it too?

3. mistycat

mistycat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tks for the hdcp reply. Me one happy lady. No idea what to connect to. Only learnt about the TV here. Got it from Unbeatable.co.uk. I have Sky plus. What is the best connection to use? I also have a Toshiba dvd home cinema thingie and a dvd recorder by panasonic. The picies on my LP 21RD is fantastic now. One of my friends decided to buy this from me thus the order for the Sammy. If he does not take mine when the Sammy comes, I have a new bedroom friend!

Any advice would be great. :hiya:

4. DLPhopefull

DLPhopefull
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mistycat,

Make sure you set your SKY+ output to RGB for the best picture.

Connect to input 1 or 3 with a good quality RGB Scart cable (fully Wired). Go to the services menu then the system setup then picture settings. In this menu set video output to RGB if it is on PAL. If you are not sure if your Scart cable is RGB compatible switch the setting between RGB and PAL there should be a difference. Don't forget to save the setting before exiting the menu. If there is no change between the two settings your cable is not RGB compliant. Also in the same menu Make sure the contrast setting is no higher that medium, although this is personal taste experiment to your liking.

Good luck with your new purchase. :smashin:

P.S. when you first get your TV the contrast will be set at the maximum. I found this is just too bright. You will most likely have to play with the settings to get it the way you like it. It took me about a week to get used to the tube like quality on such a large screen. So give yourself time to play and get used to this new technology.

5. say33d

say33d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    congrats on ure new tv mistycat. im lookin at buying the sammy 50inch set too. after reading all the reviews it sounds like it has the best pic. when did u order yours mistycat? and how long will delivery take?? Are you getting the glass shelves with it? and also i have been told by some1 that it comes with a hdmi-dvi cable..... is this true??

would be great if you could post a few pics when it arrives, especially of the box so we can all see how big it is :) ...... thats providing u can contain ure excitement:)

6. g_unit

g_unit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lol, has the LP21RD got some extra features we don't know about?

Congrats on the TV, let us know how it is... I want to buy one from Unbeatable too

7. mistycat

mistycat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hay, don't knock my LG21RD! lol. It is very good, considering it is the original DLP. On Sky+ the picie can be excellent. I have no complaint, except for the slight rainbow or something like that on some cable channels when the pic is very dark etc. The background thing.

Now for the Sammy. I will put picies online when I get it.

Info pse. RGB and PAL setting in services on Sky+. When there is no change on screen when you change the setting, this means you need a special rgb cable, right? Could someone advise please. Thanks for advice so far.

8. TheGaffer

TheGaffer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most Scart cables are RGB wired, unless you have a very cheap one that isn't fully wired (usually very thin cable and came free with another piece of kit). You could always borrow a cable off someone and see if that makes a difference. I don't have Sky+, just Sky digital, but if another cable doesn't make a difference you may want to consider the following:

1) [Without trying to sound patronising, honest!] Are you saving the settings before you exit the picture settings menu after changing from PAL to RGB?
    2) On most (if not all) Sky boxes only the TV Scart socket is RGB wired - the VCR Scart socket will output PAL only, although it will normally accept RGB in and pass it through to the TV Scart for output (as PAL). So, is the TV Scart the one connected to your TV? On some boxes the TV Scart is the top socket (e.g. Panasonic) but on other boxes the TV Scart is the bottom socket (e.g. Pace).
    3) I am assuming that you are connecting directly from the Sky+ box to the TV via Scart - is there anything else in between?
    4) You may have to enable RGB on the Scart socket you are connecting to on the TV or your TV may only have certain Scart sockets that are RGB (usually AV1 is RGB).
    5) Your box may be broken.

Good luck with the SP50. If you ordered it from Unbeatable you may be getting the one I returned to them on Tuesday due to their couriers not being able to get the box up to my flat! I hope that you have a big front door!

9. timkay

timkay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thegaffer I live in an apartment and am going to order the sp50, is it to big to fit in a lift?? Otherwise im in big trouble!!

10. Salty Seadog

Salty Seadog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    timkay it's way too big to fit in a lift i'm afraid (MASSIVE in packaginf!!!)

mistycat i got mine from UNBEATABLE and have now been waiting 5 months for them to send out a replacement (due to screen smear issue). Worse still howver the TV has now broken down http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210851
    I'll be phoning them tomorrow (Mon) to find out what they plan to do about the situation.

11. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

That sounds terrible, have you been chasing the upgaded screen by letter and phone? If so who with?

If you havent done so, send a letter recorded delivery detailing your problems and lack of attention. Then follow up with a phone call a few days later.

Good luck :smashin: