Question I could really use some expert advice!!

Reaction score
Morning all,

About 5 months ago I experimented with various 55" 4K TV's; eventually, due to poor panels with uniformity and clouding etc, my wife and I decided to buy a used Kuro (1080p 50") and have been using that since. We think now might be a good time to upgrade to something a bit newer, and the plasma can go into the bedroom (our bedroom TV has given up the ghost).

So, We are looking at the following options:-

1 - A used 2015 4K OLED - can be had for around £1000 (960v) on eBay and the like
2 - A 58" panasonic 9 series - FALD so should be less issues with uniformity and clouding etc that plagued us before. Can be had from panasonic directly (refurb) for £1000
3 - something else you guys recommend
4 - Stick with the plasma and buy a cheaper TV for the bedroom - upgrade this time next year - maybe then we can get a used 2016 4K OLED?

We use the TV for Sky Q, streaming services and video games. As I say, we were very sensitive to clouding etc before.

I would really appreciate anyones opinions on what they think may be best for us.

Thanks all,

Jason

I bought number 2 last week after deliberating between it and the lgb6v oled

Obviously biased but I'm loving it, it's not perfect mind but no TV is.

They can be had for good money but getting rarer.

There is mumours that it will become the new kuro.... Legendary TV [emoji16]

I bought number 2 last week after deliberating between it and the lgb6v oled

Obviously biased but I'm loving it, it's not perfect mind but no TV is.

They can be had for good money but getting rarer.

There is mumours that it will become the new kuro.... Legendary TV [emoji16]

Thanks for taking the time to reply, reading some threads on it as we speak!

What about a new LG 910v? They can sometimes be found still for under 1k on amazon.

The Panasonic DX-902 refurb is a spectacular deal but I would not buy this TV over an OLED if you care about more about SDR performance as they OLEDs will trump it. Its not bad, but it is a tv that is designed with HDR in mind, so if you do get it, be sure to take advantage with HDR content from streaming services, UHD Blu-Rays etc.

My favorite option is one you haven't listed, stay with what you have until you can raise your budget to £1500. This time next year its likely you will be able to pick up a 2017 OLED for that much and that will provide you with the best value.

What about a new LG 910v? They can sometimes be found still for under 1k on amazon.

The Panasonic DX-902 refurb is a spectacular deal but I would not buy this TV over an OLED if you care about more about SDR performance as they OLEDs will trump it. Its not bad, but it is a tv that is designed with HDR in mind, so if you do get it, be sure to take advantage with HDR content from streaming services, UHD Blu-Rays etc.

My favorite option is one you haven't listed, stay with what you have until you can raise your budget to £1500. This time next year its likely you will be able to pick up a 2017 OLED for that much and that will provide you with the best value.

Thanks for the reply. And buy a cheaper TV for the bedroom in the meantime? hmmm. Also been reading about LG 635 - 58" and seems to have a decent panel, maybe decent stop gap? not sure if it has WCG though so a 6400/6500 from samsung or a hisense m7000 maybe a better option at that kind of level?

Why are you so interested in WCG for a bedroom tv? Are you going to be utilizing HDR?

Sky doesn't use WCG so unless you are connecting your console up there or want better colour with select HDR content for online streams its not really important.

Honestly UHD is pointless for a bedroom tv, its pointless for a living room tv for a lot of people due to viewing distances. It also makes SD material upscaled look worse. I would be tempted to just get something like a Samsung K5500/K5600/M5500 for the bedroom. What size are you looking at and how far away will you be viewing in the bedroom?

Will you need wide viewing angles? Best contrast panels have the narrowest viewing angles losing colour at 16-20 degrees off centre horizontally.

Why are you so interested in WCG for a bedroom tv? Are you going to be utilizing HDR?

Sky doesn't use WCG so unless you are connecting your console up there or want better colour with select HDR content for online streams its not really important.

Honestly UHD is pointless for a bedroom tv, its pointless for a living room tv for a lot of people due to viewing distances. It also makes SD material upscaled look worse. I would be tempted to just get something like a Samsung K5500/K5600/M5500 for the bedroom. What size are you looking at and how far away will you be viewing in the bedroom?

Will you need wide viewing angles? Best contrast panels have the narrowest viewing angles losing colour at 16-20 degrees off centre horizontally.
Sorry I meant as a new living room TV and put the plasma in the bedroom

When you said buy a cheaper tv for the bedroom in the mean time I thoughts that is what you were considering. So you are thinking about still putting your Plasma in your bedroom and replacing it with a cheaper stop gap for the living room? Then swapping them over again?

I wouldn't do that, I would keep with your Plasma.

The problem basically is this, you aren't going to match your Plasma TVs PQ with your budget, which is why I say stick with what you have.

Have a read :Thinking of replacing your plasma?

and: UHD vs FHD

Also my post about motion here is relevant here: Time to replace 9yr old Panasonic 42" TH-PX70?

It was even a recent discussion featured on the home page, did you see it here? : Forum Topic: Is OLED the new Plasma?

When you said buy a cheaper tv for the bedroom in the mean time I thoughts that is what you were considering. So you are thinking about still putting your Plasma in your bedroom and replacing it with a cheaper stop gap for the living room? Then swapping them over again?

I wouldn't do that, I would keep with your Plasma.

The problem basically is this, you aren't going to match your Plasma TVs PQ with your budget, which is why I say stick with what you have.
Sounds sensible. 4k can wait! Can get a cheaper new bedroom TV as you say

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom