I Care a Lot (Amazon) Movie Review & Comments

I think this sums up well everything that doesn't work in this movie. That script needed more work.

Most certainly. My post was just based on what I was seeing with regards the subject matter (which I won't elaborate on as Garrett has already stomped his boots there), which was slightly intriguing me to investigate.

However I do normally put a lot of stock into what the review guys here write, so with regards this one I am going to let it go. Plus what others have said too. I think I can find something else from my list of about 500 films to watch instead.

And that's before I even get to the TV stuff! :)
I only had my slippers on, countries quake when I put my shoes on, and aliens cancel their invasion of Earth when I put my boots on. :laugh:

Good review. I watched this last night and concur with most of what you said. All the characters are cardboard cut outs, from the totally inept judge to Peter Dinklage's laughable Russian gangster. I found the whole thing risible and ladling on of a layer of neo-feminist motivation without any reason was ludicrous and insulting to feminists.

I think your scores are generous for this one trick pony of a film. 3/10 for me.
"insulting to feminists" - That's got me interested!

It coulda/shoulda have been much better... disappointing.. more of a 'made for TV' movie that tries to appeal to everyone.

MVP of the whole movie:

1614175746900.png

"so awful it's good" is very subjective, & I'd probably put Starship Trooper in that category; nearly nothing like the Book, script written on the back of a napkin in the 50's, over the top acting, some painful dialogue, but I love it!

Isn't that the whole point of Starship Troopers and representative of Paul Verhoeven's satirical style?

I know you like the film, but I remember a friend once dismissing the film because it was cheesy. Yep, it's absolutely meant to be!

I wanted to watch this from the amazon preview thread. Then maybe not so much a priority after Cas’ review and some strongly felt negative feedback on this thread.

Now I do want to watch it off the back of this thread, just to see the fuss that has provoked such reaction!

I wanted to watch this from the amazon preview thread. Then maybe not so much a priority after Cas’ review and some strongly felt negative feedback on this thread.

Now I do want to watch it off the back of this thread, just to see the fuss that has provoked such reaction!
I fell into this trap only to discover - nope - Cas was right on the money. It is neither an underrated gem nor a horrendous car crash.

I fell into this trap only to discover - nope - Cas was right on the money. It is neither an underrated gem nor a horrendous car crash.

Large parts of Cas’ review make it sound like something that would appeal to me. However, black comedy/satire is hard to get right, and it appears that this falls short, so the characters are just plain nasty and mean spirited. I’ve seen a few films (can’t think to hand right now) where I’ve come away with that reaction. I’ll probably check it out when this thread has spiralled another 20 or so pages.

Large parts of Cas’ review make it sound like something that would appeal to me. However, black comedy/satire is hard to get right, and it appears that this falls short, so the characters are just plain nasty and mean spirited. I’ve seen a few films (can’t think to hand right now) where I’ve come away with that reaction. I’ll probably check it out when this thread has spiralled another 20 or so pages.

The question is can it surpass the number of posts in the WW84 thread? :D

The question is can it surpass the number of posts in the WW84 thread? :D

Maybe if somebody sticks it in the running for an Oscar

Isn't that the whole point of Starship Troopers and representative of Paul Verhoeven's satirical style?

I know you like the film, but I remember a friend once dismissing the film because it was cheesy. Yep, it's absolutely meant to be!
It's so cheesy I always bring a plate of crackers & some pickled Onions to the couch for the watch.

I’m watching Graham Norton and turns out Pike is Golden Globe nominated!

If you're going to recognise anybody, it'd be the mum (Dianne Wiest) as best supporting. But the Globes (and Oscars), as we know, aren't really driven by honest intent, and - politically - highlighting Wiest and NOT Pike would only have people jumping to "why wasn't Pike nominated..." and all the conclusions that range from 'bad performance' (which it's certainly not) to more unpleasantly politically infused reasons, rather than just the simple, honest, it's not an awards-worthy performance. It's just easier to go with Pike to avoid all that.

Besides, it's been a really odd year, and it was probably down to this or WW84.

Besides, it's been a really odd year, and it was probably down to this or WW84.
if that film gets an awards it`ll just prove what a travesty the awards are
so that`ll be a clean sweep for WW84 :(

To be fair I hated the movie but Pike was brilliant and very convincing. She made me really hate her even when credits had rolled

To be fair I hated the movie but Pike was brilliant and very convincing. She made me really hate her even when credits had rolled
Sounds similar to Jack Gleeson who played Joffrey in Game of Thrones. So convincing that George R.R. Martin even sent him a note saying "Congratulations on your marvelous performance, everyone hates you."

It actually decided to play on my TV last, no clue what's wrong.

Not a good watch for me, maybe 4 out of 10.

last couple of minutes probably added half a point. Not even close to the likes of Gone Girl.

Russian mafioso have gone downhill in the killing and torturing specialties...

Well spotted. The Pike haters here could/should acknowledge that she's done her job perfectly and should in fact be applauded for a terrific performance.

The reviews here encouraged me to watch the terrific Gone Girl which is free on Prime. Excellent film I'd never even heard of. So thank you Pike haters.

She was great. The problems with the film certainly had nothing to do with her capabilities and I'm sure there are other actors who would have held the film together much less convincingly.

HOWEVER - The GGs are trash nonsense and if they ever nominate the right person it's out of sheer luck.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom