I Care a Lot (Amazon) Movie Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
We really liked it, partly for the originality. It was interesting that we spent the entire film changing who we wanted to “win”, as all the characters are vile.

Good review. I watched this last night and concur with most of what you said. All the characters are cardboard cut outs, from the totally inept judge to Peter Dinklage's laughable Russian gangster. I found the whole thing risible and ladling on of a layer of neo-feminist motivation without any reason was ludicrous and insulting to feminists.

I think your scores are generous for this one trick pony of a film. 3/10 for me.

The mother had the best part, even though she was a villain I wanted her to win back her freedom from a corrupt system. 8/10

Absolute garbage of a movie and 0/10 from me.
A misogynist smear campaign against feminists, lesbians, and strong women who think they are a lioness and can roar :censored:

As it failed for me even as a dark comedy to connect any 'jokes' at all it then falls into a non comedy con crime caper category.

What person when faced by threats from a russian mafia boss basically says
Bring it on.
I am a woman, I am strong, I am a Lioness, hear me roar.
I never loose
And when offered the chance to walk away scot free along with $300K, instead demands 5 million when threatened with torture and eventual death.

Perhaps this was the so called 'comedy'. A total piss take of the themes of gurl power movies.
And the only 'joke' was that she was brought down in the end by the sad inoffensive man whose balls she had threatened to rip off.

Last edited:
I was onboard with a viewing of this shortly, but hearing a lot over a big failure to stick the landing in particular. I watched cop thriller Close Enemies on Prime instead this morning. Very much worth your time if you can handle the grit.

Good review. I watched this last night and concur with most of what you said. All the characters are cardboard cut outs, from the totally inept judge to Peter Dinklage's laughable Russian gangster. I found the whole thing risible and ladling on of a layer of neo-feminist motivation without any reason was ludicrous and insulting to feminists.

I think your scores are generous for this one trick pony of a film. 3/10 for me.

Trouble is that it's hard to score a film which gets off to such a good start but eventually squanders all of its goodwill and all of its good ideas, particularly with Pike on such strong form. But you're right, 6 is probably a bit generous. I'd never return to it.

I enjoyed it last night. Problem was no likeable characters. 7/10 for me

Thanks for the Review Cas. I'll avoid this, mainly because I'd just end up getting mad at how true this is in the real world, so I would not be entertained.

i liked the mother who was taken.
and the dippy sidekick with long hair.
For sure, which just makes it even more maddening
considering the mother barely gets any airtime (her verbal sparring with Pike was phenomenal, as was the superb stranglehold) and both of them basically don't feature AT ALL in the final act.
Such a waste.

Made it through the first half hour and then switched to They Look Like People. I guess I was looking for even a little humanity.

I gave this a watch this morning and it's safe to say it's not one I'll be watching again. It started off quite well, but rapidly went down hill. The ending was rubbish and two of the main characters aren't even featured in the closing act.
4/10 from me.

We watched that last night and were very disappointed, so much of it doesn't make any sense and is hard to ignore. There was a good premise there but it went downhill very quickly and the last five minutes are just insulting.
3/10 if even.

I think everyone looks for something different in movies. It's been an awful year/two with lack of films/cinema so this for me at least was pretty good. I wouldn't want to watch it at the cinema but overall a pretty decent movie. I'll also never want to watch it again but that's not because it's a bad movie it's just the content doesn't need a revisit. 6/10? Maybe 7/10 for a one trip pony!

Well... That was a strange one! What seemed like a good start then left most of the interesting bits for the birds and descended in to utter nonsense by the end.

My wife literally said "I've never been so happy for someone to die in a film before"

Last edited:
Much obliged all. Added to my list and removed from my list on the same day :)

I started it last night,I like Pike and Dinklage but I got fed up half way through.
Admittedly,I was tired and went to bed but haven't felt the need to pick it up again.

Last edited:
Well colour me surprised. I really enjoyed this. Terrific central performance, ably supported. Plenty of twist and turns, all stylishly done. Loved the electro score too. Echos of Carlito’s Way in the closing moments.
Had a blast.
9/10

Well colour me surprised. I really enjoyed this. Terrific central performance, ably supported. Plenty of twist and turns, all stylishly done. Loved the electro score too. Echos of Carlito’s Way in the closing moments.
Had a blast.
9/10
Really?
That makes it just one point down from the best movies ever made which could only score a max of 10/10. There seems to be a lack of granularity to your marking scale...

Really?
That makes it just one point down from the best movies ever made which could only score a max of 10/10. There seems to be a lack of granularity to your marking scale...
No offence but do you really think you should be the one pointing out lack of granularity? You gave it a 0/10 ..... I have never given a movie 0/10. I have not watched it yet but can safely say there is more chance of me giving it a 9 then a 0.

Decisions decisions, a real mixed bag of reviews on here, very low to very high. Don’t know what to make of it but I’ll likely give it a go at some stage. There’s just so many good movies of just the last 50 years that I’d likely feel robbed after not choosing one of them instead. But that’s the game we’re in isn’t it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom