1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Notice: AVForums will be offline at 10pm for no longer than 30 minutes for scheduled maintenance. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes.
    Dismiss Notice

I can't watch freeview and record analogue!

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Matt F, Dec 5, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    What I want to do is record, say, BBC2 whilst watching BBC Choice via my freeview box.

Okay, I have the tiny Pace freeview box that only has one SCART out (no ariel loopthrough etc).

The Pace box and the VCR each has a roof ariel connection to it (via a Y splitter) and the VCR sends this on to the TV.

My VCR (Panasonic HD630) has two SCARTS so I was thinking I could simply loop the Pace box through this which would allow me to record in either analogue (using the VCR’s tuner) or in digital (using the AV2 setting on the VCR so that it records what it is receiving from the Pace box via the SCART lead).

The VCR has two settings for the SCART in (AV2) connection – either DECODER or SAT. If you set it to DECODER then the Pace box takes precedence i.e. even if the VCR is switched on the TV shows whatever the Pace box is receiving. On the SAT setting the VCR takes precedence i.e. as soon as you switch the VCR on you see whatever channel it is set to and you can’t see what the Pace box is receiving – this is obviously no good if you want to watch the Pace box but record something using the VCR’s analogues tuner.

DECODER seemed to be the ideal setting – if the Pace box is switched on then you watch that – switch it off and you can watch something on the VCR all through the EXT 1 SCART input on the TV.

So, what’s the problem – nothing I thought until I watched something via the Pace box last Sunday whilst trying to record something in analogue on the other side. The VCR was set to BBC2 so it should have taped BBC2 via it’s analogue tuner BUT when I played the tape back I found that it had actually recorded what the Pace box had been receiving at the time despite the VCR’c channel being set to “2” and not to “AV2”.

I thought it must have been a pilot error so I tried it again last night – set the VCR to channel 2, press record and, again, it records what the Pace box is transmitting through the VCR’s AV2 SCART regardless of what the VCR’s channel is set to! Turn the Pace box off and it’s fine but that’s no good if you want to watch the Pace whilst recording analogue.

So, it doesn’t seem as thought the SCART loopthrough on the VCR is much use which is a bit surprising as I presumed it would allow you to choose between recording analogue and digital.

Anyone got any ideas or had any similar experiences? I guess I may have to either get a different freeview box with two SCARTS or get one of those two-way SCART video control boxes from Lektropacks.

Thanks,

Matt.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,987
    If you are going to the extent of a Scart Switcher, why not consider getting a second DTV box instead. Use one as a slave to the TV, and the other as a slave to the VCR. That way you could watch BBC4 (Choice?) and record TMF at the same time.....

3. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Mmmm – it would have to be a different DTV box than the Pace otherwise the remote would change both channels simultaneously!

Also, a SCART switching box is under £10 whereas another DTV box is £90 plus.

I’m going to have to either:

1.Change the Pace box to a Nokia Mediamaster 221T – twin SCARTS, RF loopthrough – even has digital audio out!

or

2.Get a SCART switching box (and get a two TV ariel amplifier so that I can dispense with the Y splitter and give the Pace box and the VCR their own high quality ariel connections)

I’m still amazed, however, that the Panasonic VCR can’t record via its analogue tuner if it is receiving a signal through its AV2 SCART socket – if you select an analogue channel then that’s what it should record - this has to be a design fault.

Matt.