1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I can't tell the difference between Interlaced and Progressive...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Captain chaos, Jul 12, 2003.

1. Captain chaos

Captain chaos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I have taken delivery of my A300 a few days ago and im chuffed to bits with it.
    However after hooking it up to my Panasonic S75, I can't see the difference between the normal "interlaced" image thrown by the A300, and the "progressive" signal chucked out by the Pan S75.
    I have connected the player through components (obviously), and have enabled NTSC progressive in both menus on the S75 (in the 'setup' screen, and on the display so it says "480P") and it looks the same.

The only difference I can see is that the progressive signal looks harsher, and the edges of subtitles and words on screen become more blocky and less blurry.
    I saw no difference in the "smoothness" of the image.

Is there something im not doing correctly?

Many thanks.

2. They

They
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The AE300 is a progressive display device anyway. The issue is going to be which device (the display or the source) has the better video processing (de-interlacing).

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,123
    Cap,

you may find that sometimes interlaced looks better because it is less harsh.

When I first demo'd my HT1000, I found that I preferred the interlaced image via compont from the Pioneer player to the vga output from my htpc (at that time), and for the same reasons you probably do.

However, since I changed to PowerDVD XP and DVI, I prefer the picture from HTPC again.

Having said that, the NTSC progressive image from the S75 to HT1000 looked very good to me. There are a few options in the player menu that may allow you to adjust the image.

I found that for interlaced stuff, reducing the sharpness right down gave a very creamy and solid image which was very pleasing. Maybe doing the same may work for you.

Gary.

4. ebury

ebury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I must admit i didnt think i would notice much difference between pro/inter,but i finally got round to watching(for 5 minutes:eek: )a dvd on my tw100 using the interlaced of the 88+arcam.I dont know if it is the dvd players on board progressive chip?but the picture using interlaced ( after watching via prog scan since i bought a while back,) using the tw100's on board scalling was awful IMHO.Dont forget this is using a big screen(6.2ft).
    On my plasma,there was not alot of difference between the two modes!!!
    It all depends on the quality of the dvd,player,screen and projector!!!

But if we could have HDTV,you would see the difference straight away:eek:
    But thats another story......:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

5. Captain chaos

Captain chaos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually I am now wondering whether the "mod" that multi-region magic did to the panasonic has enabled PAL progressive scan aswell.

I know the Panasonic isn't PAL scan compatible, but the image looks so silky smooth with PAL disks, it looks miles better than the A300 we have setup playing PAL disks from a standard 'out of the box' Pioneer at John Lewis (where I work).

Is it at all possible that the mod given to the machine has somehow enabled a secret PAL progressive mode?